Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Coupe
2006 M3 Coupe will crank but will not start

I didn't drive my M3 for three weeks and now It will only crank but It wont start, lights and radio and AC system are working, currently the weather here in North California has been cold and freezing at average of 40F could it be my battery dead? I have tried and started with a jumper cable and It started once but after I drove it for 40 miles it still only cranks up but it just wont start again. If the battery is dead how much its going to cost me to get it replaced from a shop?

Please Help and give an idea what could be the problem of my car? So I know what to expect at the shop.

Thank You.
Troy
Ads by Google
Old 12-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
2006 M3 Coupe will crank but will not start

Most probably u have a dead battery. Sitting for long in a cold weather will kill ur battery if it's somewhat old. Best way u can know is to check its voltage.
How old is ur battery? I'm guessing u'r probably due for a new one

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
You can put in a new battery yourself for around $100. The e46 wiki link above your post has some recommendations. Everstart from walmart is poplular and giving good results to many. Autozone had a duralast battery that worked well too. Most batteries are all made by the same few companies.

At a shop I'd expect around $150-200 to include their markup on the part and labor.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Have the codes read. You may have a bad crankshaft or camshaft position sensor.

Edit: do you have a check engine light on? If not, disregard my previous statement. Check fuel pressure at the rail. If none, or below spec, you may have a failing fuel pump, or a very clogged fuel filter. ( rough night) LOL As mentioned by other posters, you battery may just be toast. To confirm, you need to have a load test done on the battery. Do not just check voltage. If the car cranks briskly though, you can probably rule out the battery.

Last edited by SJBimmer; 12-08-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanx for all the response I really appreciate it I will remove the battery first and have a load test done today, if not sometimes this week. I gotta watch the game its Sunday :-)
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM

Like most say its my dead battery was the problem, I got replacement from Oreilly for $162 minus $15 credit back for turning in my old battery. Once again thank you everyone