Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive 35i
Question Will lease either a X3 35i or 435i shortly... but have some questions

Hey everyone,

I've always wanted a BMW, but there was always some reason for me not to spend too much on a car. Moved to Canada (from Europe) about a year ago, got myself a Dodge Journey with all the options, and things were ok.

About a week ago, I had an epiphany: life is too short, get a car you enjoy driving.
I've test driven the 435i xDrive last Saturday and that was FUN! Yet, I'm really considering the 2014 X3 35i xDrive M Sports Line (that I will test drive tomorrow), for its versatility without scarifying the driving experience.

Since that test drive 6 days ago, I've been reading everything I could find about these 2 cars, and that's how I came across this forum - great find!

So I won't ask you about leasing vs buying - already got tons of info on this.
I'm going to go with a lease (36 mo / 36k kms), but still have to negotiate on that.

I do have a few questions though:

1. Leasing either one of these cars, can I get a hitch added (either by BMW or other vendor)? Or is it something frowned upon/forbiden?

2. I've read I could use Siri on my iPhone by pressing a button on the wheel: do I need a special package for that, or is it standard (with standard Bluetooth)?

3. I've read TONS of complaints about the iPhone apps... is there any one of them that actually works on iOS7? And/or worth it? Again, does it need a specific package?

Think that's it for now... thanks all!

Last edited by tmarques; 12-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Other than agreeing with you that driving the new 435 is a lot of fun... a LOT of fun... I can only respond to the one question you asked about adding a hitch.

You can add a hitch to either the X3 or the 4-Series Coupe without affecting the warranty or the lease turn-in value.

In the case of the X3, there are a couple of hitch options. The dealers in North America offer a Class II hitch (3,500 lbs). The X3 actually has a Class III tow rating of 5,500 lbs, but the dealer hitch is only rated for 3,500 lbs. The other option is the invisihitch, which BMW installs as its dealer hitch in other parts of the world. The invisihitch is rated for the full 5,500 lb towing capacity of the X3. It is a Euro-style hitch that installs behind the bumper, so it is completely undetectable on the vehicle when not in use. There is no bumper cut.

In the case of the 4-Series Coupe, the North American dealers do not offer a hitch option. The invisihitch is the only BMW-approved hitch available in North America for the 4 Series. It is the same hitch that BMW installs as its dealer hitch in countries where BMW offers a dealer hitch option on the 4 Series. It installs behind the bumper, where it cannot be seen, and there is no bumper cut.

One of the wonderful perks of my work is getting to drive just about every new BMW when it is released, and the new 435i was a ridiculous amount of fun to drive. I don't know if you will find the X3 35i to be quite as much fun, but it certainly is versatile while still putting a big smile on your face. You really can't go wrong either way.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Looks like you have the hitch question covered - so I can attack the rest.

I don't think the BMW Apps are all that great, it is a package for a few hundred dollars (at least it was in the US when I got mine) but I'm not sure how they are optioned by you. I guess it's neat to be able to thumbs up/down songs and such from Pandora on the iDrive, but it just doesn't really interest me much. To use the BMW Apps the phone must be connected via USB cable, not just Bluetooth. They work about the same on iOS 7 as they did previously (and better in some cases for notifications) but I think the hiccups are in the vehicle more than the phone. The BMW remote is pretty cool though, you can send addresses and such from your phone directly to the iDrive nav which is handy.

Speaking of which, the one thing I do use quite often is Bluetooth streaming (both for calls and for music/podcasts) from my phone, and that works great. Call quality is great, Bluetooth audio quality is fantastic, and it's easy to set up and use.

As for Siri, if you purchased a brand new X3 today it would have a different iDrive system than my X3, so I'm not sure if you'll have the Eyes Free mode on yours or not. Perhaps someone else with a '14 can comment on that. I can use Siri over Bluetooth if my phone is connected and I use the home button to activate it, but I do not have a steering wheel button.

As for 435 vs X3, they're quite different. You'll have to decide which is more important to you, versatility or fun. The X3 is fantastically fun for an SUV but it won't match a BMW coupe.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
Other than agreeing with you that driving the new 435 is a lot of fun... a LOT of fun... I can only respond to the one question you asked about adding a hitch.

You can add a hitch to either the X3 or the 4-Series Coupe without affecting the warranty or the lease turn-in value.

In the case of the X3, there are a couple of hitch options. The dealers in North America offer a Class II hitch (3,500 lbs). The X3 actually has a Class III tow rating of 5,500 lbs, but the dealer hitch is only rated for 3,500 lbs. The other option is the invisihitch, which BMW installs as its dealer hitch in other parts of the world. The invisihitch is rated for the full 5,500 lb towing capacity of the X3. It is a Euro-style hitch that installs behind the bumper, so it is completely undetectable on the vehicle when not in use. There is no bumper cut.

In the case of the 4-Series Coupe, the North American dealers do not offer a hitch option. The invisihitch is the only BMW-approved hitch available in North America for the 4 Series. It is the same hitch that BMW installs as its dealer hitch in countries where BMW offers a dealer hitch option on the 4 Series. It installs behind the bumper, where it cannot be seen, and there is no bumper cut.

One of the wonderful perks of my work is getting to drive just about every new BMW when it is released, and the new 435i was a ridiculous amount of fun to drive. I don't know if you will find the X3 35i to be quite as much fun, but it certainly is versatile while still putting a big smile on your face. You really can't go wrong either way.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Am sorry for the delay, but I was travelling for the holidays. The 435 is really a WHOLE LOT OF FUN, but in the end, I was (sorta) reasonable and went with the X3 xDrive 35i with M Sport package... it will still give me enough power to enjoy the ride, while having more room for the getaways with family and friends.

Regarding the hitch, I like how hidden Invisihitch is, but have a few of questions.
1. I own and love the Thule T2 rack (the best bike rack ever), so in order to use it, I'd need to get the 2 inch Bike-Rack Connector, correct?
2. what is the difference between the BMW X3 M-Sport Bike-Rack-Only Hitch and the BMW X3 Bike-Rack-Only Hitch?
3. If I don't get the hitch with the wiring harness from the get go, can it be added later on?
4. Living in Alberta, where could I get one of these installed?

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
Looks like you have the hitch question covered - so I can attack the rest.

I don't think the BMW Apps are all that great, it is a package for a few hundred dollars (at least it was in the US when I got mine) but I'm not sure how they are optioned by you. I guess it's neat to be able to thumbs up/down songs and such from Pandora on the iDrive, but it just doesn't really interest me much. To use the BMW Apps the phone must be connected via USB cable, not just Bluetooth. They work about the same on iOS 7 as they did previously (and better in some cases for notifications) but I think the hiccups are in the vehicle more than the phone. The BMW remote is pretty cool though, you can send addresses and such from your phone directly to the iDrive nav which is handy.

Speaking of which, the one thing I do use quite often is Bluetooth streaming (both for calls and for music/podcasts) from my phone, and that works great. Call quality is great, Bluetooth audio quality is fantastic, and it's easy to set up and use.

As for Siri, if you purchased a brand new X3 today it would have a different iDrive system than my X3, so I'm not sure if you'll have the Eyes Free mode on yours or not. Perhaps someone else with a '14 can comment on that. I can use Siri over Bluetooth if my phone is connected and I use the home button to activate it, but I do not have a steering wheel button.

As for 435 vs X3, they're quite different. You'll have to decide which is more important to you, versatility or fun. The X3 is fantastically fun for an SUV but it won't match a BMW coupe.
Thanks for your feedback Vortec4800 - I've decided to go without the extra package, which was another $850.
The only thing I could maybe have "needed" was the trafic information, but I would really never have used the rest (apps, internet, concierge, ...) - and feedback on the apps is only so so anyway.

I'll see how my iPhone interfaces with the standard bluetooth connexion, it will likely be enough.
And as mentioned in my previous post, I think I'll save the coupe for when I'll have 2 cars, so I don't sacrifice the perks a SUV can bring to the table.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Regarding the hitch, I like how hidden Invisihitch is, but have a few questions.
1. I own and love the Thule T2 rack (the best bike rack ever), so in order to use it, I'd need to get the 2 inch Bike-Rack Connector, correct?
Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
2. what is the difference between the BMW X3 M-Sport Bike-Rack-Only Hitch and the BMW X3 Bike-Rack-Only Hitch?
One version of the hitch was designed specifically for the X3 with the M Sport Package (because it has a different rear fascia). The other version of the hitch was designed for all other trims of the X3.

Quote:
3. If I don't get the hitch with the wiring harness from the get go, can it be added later on?
We do not offer our wiring harnesses a la carte. They are sold only as part of a hitch package at the time of the hitch purchase. I realize this does force a decision sooner, rather than later, about whether to add full towing capability. But the BMW harness is a restricted part.

Quote:
4. Living in Alberta, where could I get one of these installed?
Good Lord, man, move to civilization! Seriously, please PM or email me your postal code.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Mail sent!

Oh and another question: do any of these hitches require any cutting on the car!
Cheers!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarques View Post
Mail sent!

Oh and another question: do any of these hitches require any cutting on the car!
Cheers!
Just now seeing this question. The X3 is completely sealed off underneath with a plastic gravel guard. So ANY hitch will require an opening in the gravel guard (unless the hitch is the type that comes straight out through a cut in your bumper!).

Attached are a couple of photos that show what I am trying to describe. The first shows the underside of the X3... you can see the black plastic gravel guard. The second shows that same piece removed from the vehicle and marked for a cutout that will allow access to the hitch receiver hidden behind the bumper. Some people elect to just leave the gravel guard off instead of making an access opening in it, but we prefer to create the opening and then re-install the gravel guard. It's the same opening the dealer will create if you have your dealer install their hitch.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] gravel guard on vehicle.png
Views:	55
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	423078   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] gravel guard removed and marked.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	423079