Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
The type of event may determine if a convertible is allowed on the track. My wife's Miata club held driver training days at the track and BMW runs Advanced Rider Training for motorcycle owners at Shannonville. Neither of these vehicles have a roll bar. The instructors were pro racers who shared their knowledge.

Driving instruction and exercises followed by 10 lap runs provided lots of skill building without excessive high speeds. A no passing rule in the corners was in place and nobody pushed the limits of their cars. By the end of the day everyone had had enough and happy to head home so it can be draining to drive with intense concentration.

It's not track time as in racing but a safe environment (everyone going in the same direction on clean roads) where you can learn to handle your car or bike at levels not allowed or desired on public roads.

Join the local car club and there will be lots of skill building events to enjoy.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
200-250 is pretty accurate its the same prices for tracks here in texas on open track days. they sometimes have specials where is like 50.00 bu there are so many cars there u'll be lucky to get on track.

also another tip have a tow truck number handy I doubt anything will happen with your car but anything can happen.

renting a track for a day on your own is about 3000.00 You may also want to check with the track itself many have awesome deals like you pay an anual fee and you can use the track several weekends a year. it ends up paying for itself once you use the track alot.

Alot of local performance shops use this option

Last edited by 3star; 12-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
Whatever you do, if you go to a track, get as much instruction as you can because:
1) You will be less likely to prang your car than starting alone. Fixing even glancing blows can be very expensive. Ask me how I know...or ask DSX, he sings like a canary at the mearest threat of being tickled. (Don't ask me how I know that!)
That's 'merest'. Or was that Welsh? Everything else in that paragraph is quite correct.
Your introduction to the barrier at the esses in turn one at NHMS is a secret which I can keep. How do we know our limits if we don't attempt to push them now and then? BTW, did your insurance company buy the massive, rogue shopping cart story?

There is a good reason convertibles shouldn't be tracked and it has little to do with driver safety. Because convertibles have only a floor pan, and no box structure, they flex like a rubber band in hard driving. This can wreak havoc with all kinds of things like door locks, suspension mounts especially shock/strut mounts, and miscellaneous welds scattered all through the floor. Convertibles just can't handle the stress.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post
200-250 is pretty accurate its the same prices for tracks here in texas on open track days. they sometimes have specials where is like 50.00 bu there are so many cars there u'll be lucky to get on track.

also another tip have a tow truck number handy I doubt anything will happen with your car but anything can happen.

renting a track for a day on your own is about 3000.00 You may also want to check with the track itself many have awesome deals like you pay an anual fee and you can use the track several weekends a year. it ends up paying for itself once you use the track alot.

Alot of local performance shops use this option
Wait a second...there's tracking and then there's tracking. Are we talking road courses or drag strips? I can get into a drag strip for $50 a night, but have never gotten onto a road course for under $300 a day.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM

tell that to s2000S and miata owners they havent gotten that memo. lol

You can make a vert handle and own on a track. yes they dont have the roof and bulkheads but they are reinforced from the factory hence the added weight and yu can do alot with a good cage
Old 12-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Wait a second...there's tracking and then there's tracking. Are we talking road courses or drag strips? I can get into a drag strip for $50 a night, but have never gotten onto a road course for under $300 a day.
road coarse Eagle canyon raceway just had a track meet last sunday 50.00 to get on it was a charity drive for toys for tots.

They have stuff like that fairly often
Old 12-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post
tell that to s2000S and miata owners they havent gotten that memo. lol

You can make a vert handle and own on a track. yes they dont have the roof and bulkheads but they are reinforced from the factory hence the added weight and yu can do alot with a good cage
Spec Miatas have full cages, not just roll bars. While I agree that Miatas own short twisty tracks, the ones which hold up have a fore and aft braced roll bar at the very least. This goes a long way towards reinforcement.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
There is a good reason convertibles shouldn't be tracked and it has little to do with driver safety. Because convertibles have only a floor pan, and no box structure, they flex like a rubber band in hard driving. This can wreak havoc with all kinds of things like door locks, suspension mounts especially shock/strut mounts, and miscellaneous welds scattered all through the floor. Convertibles just can't handle the stress.
Cabrios are meant for fun twisty brisk drives, not tracking, 'tis true. It would be nice to find a local Car Control class that would allow cabrios for evasive maneuver training and the like.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Cabrios are meant for fun twisty brisk drives, not tracking, 'tis true. It would be nice to find a local Car Control class that would allow cabrios for evasive maneuver training and the like.

Seņor Lutefisk says: "Not entirely accurate! E93 M3...."

But we're shunned....unfairly routed to the viewing gallery....denied!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AskylitDrive View Post
$200-250 to go on the track?!?!? I paid $70 for 4 hours up in shannonville. it was a big group of us though, so i don't know if that had to do with it. But there was an instructor there that took us through the track at low speeds for 2 laps. I think the OP shouldn't spend that much on the track if its his first time... And i didn't know your car was convertible OP, from the looks of it, you won't be able to get on the track unless you have roll bars...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
The BMW events are all day, you get four 20 min sessions, always with an instructor.

I think the fees are lower at lesser tracks, but Mont Tremblant and Mosport are fantastic tracks with big elevation changes. Well worth the money.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
I would start out with autocross. Lower speeds while you're learning car control, not as hard on your car, cheaper and still fun.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoCervezas View Post
I would start out with autocross. Lower speeds while you're learning car control, not as hard on your car, cheaper and still fun.
BMW CLub's parking lot SKills Class is a total blast, includes autoX training, and allows convertibles.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Just one more comment about track days and car mods. We added front and rear shock tower braces (the front brace went to the firewall) in my wife's Miata and she participated in Solo 2 and track training days with some success. A few of the boy racers at the club went with lowered suspension, bigger rims, and added supercharging or a turbo. The surprise came when the insurance companies asked if they had modified their cars. The honest answer meant they they were dropped as customers (racers) while the dishonest answer meant their coverage was void in a collision.

We were OK with our changes which were justified as stiffening to reduce vibration at 60 mph which was a known problem with early models.

I was never sure how the insurance companies knew who to ask about racer mods but I did suspect that track days tipped them off.

We eventually left the club as even the touring outings became a hazard with many drivers running beyond their capabilities. There was usually one accident on every tour and I credit track training with my wife's skill when the group drove faster and faster through West Virginia or Vermont.

There is a fine line once you start attending track days to avoid the trap of thinking that car mods and skills need to be proven on the street. Having a dedicated track car and a street car is the way to go, in my opinion. Mixing the two can become a big problem.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasayed View Post
I drive a '09 335i E93....have had it since sept 2012 and i really want to test its limits, hit some good speeds while cornering, etc....all without worrying about flashing lights in the rear....

Coming summer i really want to try out my car on a track....in its stock state, should i do this? any tips and suggestions are most welcome...
Should i go with some one experienced for the first time or do they teach you tips and tricks before you hit the track?
What kinds of costs am i looking at in relation to this entire experience?

Also, i am in Toronto, ON, so if you know of any good tracks please let me know.

I dont know how to rate my driving skills so i wont attempt at that....

thanks a bunch in advance for all you who reply to this...
Do a couple of beginner runs in the E93. If you like you'll be needing another car. Certainly don't want to roll in a convertible + the E93 is too heavy/ is not all a track focused. For convertibles beyond beginner groups every reputable organization will require a roll bar that's high enough to be at least 1" above your head wearing a helmet. They call it the broomstick rule.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Converts can be an issue. Best shot is to find a local BMW club & see what their requirements are for their private track days. They will give you an instructor to ride with you & get you stated right. Most recommend for the first time out if everything is in good shape run what you brung because you will not be going fast enough to stress anything. A ride with am instructor driving will really open your eyes & take your breath away, guaranteed.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 12-22-2013, 01:14 AM

Mein Auto: 335i E93
A dream has been shattered for now (almost) :P
Going to call Mosports and Cayuga soon to find out if they allow verts. Although from all the suggestions up here, I think I am going to join a BMW club here first and see how that goes. I trust your experiences combined for sure. I dont think I will be risking without an instructor anymore although I was planning to go solo.

BTW, the E93 has rollover bars behind the rear seat head rests. Do they count into the "real" roll over bars you all are talking about?

Thank you all again for so much info. I think I am prepared for spring time now! As long as it does not rain on the darn day I go there.You all are probably well aware of how amazing the weather conditions are here during any time of the year :P
Been having freezing rain for the past 2 days now - who needs to skate when you can do it sitting in your car with the freakishly awesome stability controls on this thing.

"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna
Old 12-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Going to call Mosports and Cayuga soon to find out if they allow verts. Although from all the suggestions up here, I think I am going to join a BMW club here first and see how that goes. I trust your experiences combined for sure. I dont think I will be risking without an instructor anymore although I was planning to go solo.

BTW, the E93 has rollover bars behind the rear seat head rests. Do they count into the "real" roll over bars you all are talking about?

Thank you all again for so much info. I think I am prepared for spring time now! As long as it does not rain on the darn day I go there.You all are probably well aware of how amazing the weather conditions are here during any time of the year :P
Been having freezing rain for the past 2 days now - who needs to skate when you can do it sitting in your car with the freakishly awesome stability controls on this thing.
Many organizations let in newer convertibles (last ~10->15 years) that have semi decent roll protection for the beginner groups and some even for any group (I've seen a 996 911 convertible in a fast group). Stock roll-bars tend not be high enough for helmets, but maybe some are. I did one event in my current gen Miata and bought a real roll-bar for it immediately afterwards. Makes re-sale difficult so I'll be keeping that car a while.

Last edited by MP3_E46; 12-22-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Don't forget that you will need a helmet that is fairly new. Snell 2005 DOT sticker on it should be sufficient, but it worth checking. If buying a new one wait for the Motorcycle Show this winter for good pricing at the show. I only buy full face helmets.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to groundeffect
Mein Auto: 335i
Track or No Track

If you are going to join a club, look at Trillium. You can buy a 2 day DE with instruction, at Mosport for 449 C$ if you order before 25th...Christmas special. If you do the April class, I'll see you there.
Once you are checked out, lapping days are very reasonable.

Cheers.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xDrive, 2014 X1
Track or No Track

I had my first track experience with Trackmasters at Watkins Glen this summer. Come on down it was fun! They said no verts but when I got there there there were a bunch. It was at the discretion of the instructor. They set you up ahead if time with an instructor that will go in a vert. It was $560 for two days and I would highly recommend it as the instruction was excellent. My car is a 335i with xDrive and it was difficult but fun. Just going "fast" by yourself and leaning nothing is pointless.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X6 35i
Track or No Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
I had my first track experience with Trackmasters at Watkins Glen this summer. Come on down it was fun! They said no verts but when I got there there there were a bunch. It was at the discretion of the instructor. They set you up ahead if time with an instructor that will go in a vert. It was $560 for two days and I would highly recommend it as the instruction was excellent. My car is a 335i with xDrive and it was difficult but fun. Just going "fast" by yourself and leaning nothing is pointless.

+1

Previous Cars:
1998 BMW 328i -Gone
2006 BMW X3 25i -Gone
2006 BMW X3 30i -Gone
2005 BMW X5 3.0 -Gone
Current Cars:
2012 BMW X1 28i
2012 BMW X6 35i
2011 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic
2010 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport
Old 12-24-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:

don't call the track, it's up to the club that rents the track.

No, the E93's bars don't count. There's no BMW club that will allow your car on track, but some of the other clubs might. But definitely contact BMW Trillium and sign up for a skills/safety class, those are as fun as track days.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post

+1 on Trackmasters, they are good.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
don't call the track, it's up to the club that rents the track.

No, the E93's bars don't count. There's no BMW club that will allow your car on track, but some of the other clubs might. But definitely contact BMW Trillium and sign up for a skills/safety class, those are as fun as track days.
I just Googled.. from a random track day organizer: "Convertible criteria: Street convertibles that are equipped with some form of factory roll protection (S2000, Porsche/BMW cabs, etc...) can be accepted, only in novice or intermediate categories. For an advanced driver to use a convertible in "red" group, the car must have aftermarket roll-bar and harnesses."

Still I'd not do it without a real aftermarket bar

Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 335i E93
Since roll over bars seems to be such an important part of track days....are there really high chances of rolling over a convertible because of their suspension?

"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna