Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 06-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Michael's Harley at Indy

Michael Schumacher had a Harley parked out in front of the Hotel. He came in the lobby with a chrome helmet and a Harley outfit. Here's a few pictures.

I also caught Michael's wife Corinna arriving at the Hotel. There wasn't much time to grab more than one shot.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2004, 05:05 PM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
The guys on Speed were discussing Michael's Harley collection and mentioned that at one stop on the circuit (not sure if it was Indy) he stopped in at a Harley dealer and bought eleven of them.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Very nice photo's. What hotel was that Steve?

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 06-25-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
This was my third USGP in Nap Town. It's a great venue. People are friendly and the chow is good.

Stayed at the Westin downtown two years ago. This time we were down south, off Hwy 65.

Tell me more about that Bimmer event you attended.

It's called the USGP Experience and it costs $3500/person. It includes lodging, meals and transportation from Friday morning to Monday morning, as well as the race. They limited it to 100 people. I've been to Indy twice before, but I go back to camping at Watkins Glen also so this was very different. Last year I went to Monza and I decided I wanted to attempt to get closer to the team...somehow. Well, I did that. The only thing missing from the trip was a pit/garage visit and I'm going to suggest that in the questionnaire they'll be sending. They said that last year JPM and Ralf visited the suite. This year Marc Gene came by.

The seats for the weekend were in the Hulman Suites which are upperdeck down torwards turn 1. Here's the view looking back towards the start finish line.

They called the activities at IRP an autocross, but it wasn't just an autocross in the true sense of the word. It was more like a mini drivers school / marketing test drive. I've got an E46 M3 with SMG so I'm comfortable with that car. At IRP we were using the entire drag strip as part of the road course with the M3's. The last time I looked at the speedometer going down the drag strip it said 120 MPH and I still had a ways to go to the braking zone. The road course was my favorite. We always had an instructor with us for all the events. The instructors were the guys (and girl) from the Performance Center and did a great job as usual. We were at IRP on Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon (or morning depending your choice). Driving the new 645 on the street course (and drag racing) with it's Active Steering and Active Roll Stabilization, it's a very interesting car. The driving event at IRP was conducted much like the activities at the Performance Center.

The meals were excellent, but the dinner on Saturday night was really special. The theme was the celebration of 75 years of BMW and they had brought a number of cars up from the Zentrum in SC. Having a few minutes with Dr. Mario Theissen there was another highlight of the weekend. And he was very willing to have a conversation. A representative from Williams was there to talk about the race with Theissen and Gene. They included the Formula BMW rookies for the dinner so we had the opportunity to meet them. Here's a view of some of the cars on display.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 06-25-2004, 08:56 PM
grebo guru

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
smt,

Sorry I missed you in Indy. Sounds like you have a great time.
Racing

02 Sterling Gray M3 Coupe

"Our engine is the measure of all things in Formula One" - Gerhard Berger
Old 06-26-2004, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon1racing
smt,

Sorry I missed you in Indy. Sounds like you have a great time.
We didn't even have time for the Speed Channel thing. I thought about it, but they kept us busy almost the entire time.

SteveT
BMW CCA
Old 06-26-2004, 02:42 PM

Tours like GP Tours are a good way to go to a GP. They typically get seats somewhere in the stands for you. This was in the Hulman Suites where they could keep drinks, snacks, lunch, etc available. We had Speed TV on as well and could even watch the GrandAm race from the Glen before and after the GP. And we could get of out of the sun once and a while. Very nice.

The 645 is unlike the 330Ci for sure. The V8 is one notable difference, you can get SMG but these were automatics. The active steering (also on the 5) means that you never need to move the steering wheel more than about a quarter of a turn to get full lock to lock. This is particularly apparent a low speed. Then the active roll stabilization makes the car feel very light because there is no (or very little) lean. I'd love to drive a 645 with SMG and compare it with the M3. It's not intended for the same market, but it would be interesting with the V8. It's a bigger heavier car, but it doesn't feel like it.

Will you be going to the GP at Hockenheim? I went to Monza last year, it was great.

SteveT
BMW CCA