Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i (current)
Carbon Brakes, Yes or No!

I never going to track the car. Can't decide if I should pass on the Carbon Ceramic Brake Option. They look great though. Here is my planned build. Thoughts?

VIN: STOCK#: LICENSE: ODOMETER:
VEHICLE: 2014 BMW M5 Sedan COLOR: Frozen Black UPHOLSTERY: Black / Black Merino Leather

Index Description MSRP
Base Price $92,900.00
ZCP Competition Package 7,300.00
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus 1,900.00
ZEC Executive Package 5,500.00
ZLP Lighting Package 1,900.00
2NK M Carbon Ceramic Brakes 9,250.00
2NZ 20" M Light Alloy Wheels 1,300.00
320 Delete Badge 0.00
6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System 3,700.00
XE7 Piano Finish Black Trim * 1,080.00
Combined option discount: ZCP and 2NZ -1,300.00
Estimated Gas Guzzler Tax 1,300.00
Destination and Handling 925.00

TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $125,755.00
Description
FROZEN BLACK PAINT 5,000.00

TOTAL WITH ADD-ONS $130,755.00
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
Yes get them.

Apart from the ability to stop as often as you like and the looks you'll get the following advantages :

- Less weight so better ride, better handling and fractionally better acceleration.
- Pretty much no brake dust.
- Much longer life, so not as expensive as they look initially.
- Resistant to warping and pad deposits so no vibration when braking due to disks.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: Alpina B7
It's a personal taste kind of thing. Do you NEED them? No.

Are you going to tell a difference in everyday driving? Probably not.

Would those gold calipers look better than the blue with Frozen Black paint? YES.

Do you mind spending $10k for them?

I personally think they are overpriced. You will not get any credit for having them when you replace the car with something else. They are a "nice to have". That being said, when I was looking for my car, I told the sales guy not to include them as a must have and not to mark them as a must delete. I could take them or leave them so I was not much help.

As an aside, my local dealer has an M6 Gran that they were trying to push me into because, according to them, they can't sell it due to those brakes, nobody wants to pay the $10k for that option.

I would say it is an option I would have wanted were it half the price, but I was not "building" a car to my specs.

If you are on the fence and can afford it, go for it.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Hopefully Juan doesn't come to the realization I did that the only thing he needs is Frozen paint and exec package. and 20'' wheel upgrade... Everything else in my op will be hard to decipher if you got any kind of value out of it (although the B&O silver is wonderful and sounds good I don't think its $3700 better than the stock HK.. And certainly not as noticeable an upgrade like if you went from a stock 3 series to the HK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina CLT View Post
Are you going to tell a difference in everyday driving? Probably not.
The answer is a astounding NO in that category because those brakes work best when they're hot, so unless your always slamming down from 155 plus (and as much as I do it I still don't think its necessary), you actually might find them performing a tad worse in day to day driving like I'd been told has happened with porsche and ferrari's ccb.

Also realize BMW will NOT pay for your brake services under the 4 year plan.

That said the color combo is awesome and much like the B&O if you're just buying it for originality and contrasting look then get it.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-13-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: G37XS
CCB will only help with brake fade on the track. It will in no way improve your stoping ability or distance on the street. I would never spend the money if I didn't plan on tracking the car.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
They also reduce unsprung weight by about 30-40 pounds, so yes it will impact all driving.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 AM

IMHO, $9250 to save 30-40 lbs. not even close to worth it. And you will NOT notice the difference in driving by losing 30 lbs.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
IMHO, $9250 to save 30-40 lbs. not even close to worth it. And you will NOT notice the difference in driving by losing 30 lbs.
As to whether it's worth it or not is a different question, but you will notice a drop of that much unsprung weight. I've driven them back to back.

And no, I decided I didn't need them, but they are definitely very nice. Note that you can also decide later, next month CCB's will be available through M-Performance parts.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
As to whether it's worth it or not is a different question, but you will notice a drop of that much unsprung weight. I've driven them back to back.

Note that you can also decide later, next month CCB's will be available through M-Performance parts.
Interesting. What will the price be to have them installed after the fact? I'm going to guess it will be a little more to ad them as an after thought...
Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 AM

I haven't seen any pricing, but I suspect you're right.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Carbon Brakes, Yes or No!

I think they are awesome. Although you have to be extremely careful with them. They can get damaged very easily from rocks or taking the tire on and off. They are extremely light, stop well even cold, low dust, the pads last a lot longer than standard brakes. I haven't heard them make noise yet. If your going to buy a M car. You should make it worth it and get the CCB. Just Bc you don't plan on taking your car on the track, doesn't mean that someone won't invite you to a spur of the moment kind of thing and spend they day having fun on the track.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:

And no, I decided I didn't need them, but they are definitely very nice. Note that you can also decide later, next month CCB's will be available through M-Performance parts.
lol you'd be better off taking out your passenger seat if you cared that much

Pros
30lb reduction
Cool looking
track ready

Cons
development issues with cracked rotors
not covered by BMW 4year plan
9000 bucks
doesn't improve day to day stopping
Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Audi-Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
I hear that the BMW maintenance program does not cover CCB rotors or pads. Is this true?

Retired: 2010 Audi B8 S4 [trade-in], 2008 E92 335i [lemon], 2007 E92 335i [totaled]
Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
I hear that the BMW maintenance program does not cover CCB rotors or pads. Is this true?
This is true!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
lol you'd be better off taking out your passenger seat if you cared that much
If we were talking about a car that weighed 3,300 lbs, even a bit more, then the impact of unsprung weight would be less. But we're talking the M5, 4,300 lbs plus, and while BMW has done what they can, at those weights the suspension is already very stiff to handle the weight.

As I said earlier, I decided not to buy them because I don't track my car. After having driven an F13 M6 with them, I'll probably add them through M-Performance parts in the spring. They make a difference.

As to rotors, everything is a risk. Every CCB break system has this risk. You're either willing to accept it or not. As for day to day stopping, getting CCB brakes up to temp does have an impact, impacted by how you drive. Day to day handling, well after having driven them I'm sorry I didn't get them.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 AM

I drove an M6 with the Ceramics and an M5 without them back to back on spirited test drives and could not tell anything different that I would directly credit to the different brakes. Now, that is not an apples to apples comparison as one should really drive an M5 with and without them to make a correct and reasonable assessment.

Do I miss them or wish I had them, can't really say that I do.

I would recommend you find cars to test drive, same model car with and without them and make your own informed decision.

That being said, let us know which direction you go.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 AM

I think they are priced at $15k as an add-on, so it is definitely something you want to do in a build and not as an after thought.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...nt-list-w.html

Last edited by Alpina CLT; 12-16-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:

As to rotors, everything is a risk. Every CCB break system has this risk. You're either willing to accept it or not. As for day to day stopping, getting CCB brakes up to temp does have an impact, impacted by how you drive. Day to day handling, well after having driven them I'm sorry I didn't get them.
Well BMW must have figured something out Porsche and Ferrari haven't because plenty of guys I know with them and on the boards either don't think they help or say they're actually worse for day-to-day.

You kind of alluded to it too "getting them up to temp" so while if you're "up to temp" you might see an improvement what happens if you aren't or don't drive your m5 like you stole it? Avg. or below, but to each his own. I almost bought them just for the look if thats any indication where my train of thought is.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Well BMW must have figured something out Porsche and Ferrari haven't because plenty of guys I know with them and on the boards either don't think they help or say they're actually worse for day-to-day.

You kind of alluded to it too "getting them up to temp" so while if you're "up to temp" you might see an improvement what happens if you aren't or don't drive your m5 like you stole it? Avg. or below, but to each his own. I almost bought them just for the look if thats any indication where my train of thought is.
Ok, so you're missing two things, at least from my perspective.

The benefit I'm talking about isn't about improved braking, but improved suspension/handling from a reduction in unsprung weight.

Second, this benefit exists specifically because the M5 (and M6) are heavy cars. In lighter cars the benefit is reduced.

So:

Are they better brakes? Yes.

Will it improve braking in day to day driving? No or not much.

Will it improve the suspension/handling? Yes.

Will it be a noticeable improvement? Depends on the driver is the fair answer. Carving in the country will be better, around town not so much.

Do CCB brakes perform better when up to temp? Yes. Note that heavy cars generate heat better/faster, so not as much an issue with the M5/M6.

Are CCB brakes more fragile that standard steel rotors? Yes.

Are CCB brakes fragile? Not really, but there is more risk than steel.

Are they worth 10 grand (or more after market)? A decision that each must make on their own. As I said several times, my first reaction was they weren't worth it. After driving them I'm still glad I didn't get the comp package, but regret not getting the CCB brakes. Different people will want different things, not a right or wrong answer here.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M5
I was a little concerned about the 'cold' performance of the Carbon Ceramic Brakes, but now I'm glad I ordered them. The cold performance is more than adequate for road use and the pedal feel is substantially better than the cars with regular brakes that I have driven. Add to that the resistance to fade, the handling improvements due to less unsprung weight, the lack of bake dust on your wheels, the longer life, lack of vibration due to pad deposits and the looks and I think they are one of the better options on these cars.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Range Rover SC
So Juan, what did you decide? I'm in the same boat. A little less money and it would almost be worth it just for the no break dust! No, seriously... I would pull the trigger but the cracking issue scares me a little too much. I recall seeing somewhere on the 5 series board that somehow BMW was using a special compound that limited break dust on 5 series cars. Anyone see that thread? Doing a search right now....