Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 86 bmw 535i
help with welsh plugs

can anyone give me some advice on replacing welsh plugs on my 86 535i
Ads by Google
Old 01-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
See the topics at this link:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0026292...lug&gsc.page=1

Here's the factory repair manual:
https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/137en/index.htm
Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: E36 323 Msport, & E30 M3
Hi,
How I remove them is use a large screw driver or chisel and a hammer, hit one spot until it rotates in and twists inwards then using slip jaw pliers/vise grips hook and pull it out. Clean sealing edge in block with sand paper, coat block and freeze plug with sealant (NOT rtv type one, of my choices would be Hylomar or a sealant which dries hard).
Start the plug with in the block with a large hammer/mallet and a socket which fits nicely inside the plug.

Once the plug has started squarely in the block-- IMPOrtant -- finish with a socket that is slightly larger than the plug.

Reason for larger socket...
1. When using inside socket can have stretching effect and slightly reduce outside diameter therefor making plug not as tight in the block. Not good.
2. larger socket stops hammering it in to far because if is larger than the block hole.

It is one of those jobs where a large hammer is better than a small one, it take a lot of force to start it squarely.
Dave.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 86 bmw 535i
Thanks John and Dave for your help, I am attempting to replace rear welsh plug with engine still in car. Have removed exhaust manifolds and removed old welsh plug, waiting on new plug, hopefully installation goes smoothly.