Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
Here's the tower portion. You'll notice it's slightly hovering over everything.

The flaps you see will stay in place with the OEM Bars. Not sure about the Thule kit.

I found the foam to be lifting off a bit (I'm used to it staying put since all my previous crossbars have been snug against the roofline).
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Thanks for the photos, nicely shows what I was curious about concerning the fixed attachment point cover. We receive the Thule feet on Wednesday so I'll have to reciprocate after installed!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Nice!

Didn't notice a substantial difference in MPGs, but that is mostly due to the wind fairing.

I'm still debating removal during the week, but its very heavy with the attachments and I don't want to scratch the glass or paint (even though I used a huge blanket for the install).
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I do not know if they've resolved the issue, but when I was looking for the rack, the non-OEM versions were having issues with denting the roof. As mentioned, the OEM version sits on little legs that only touch in the well, and they provide a self-stick hard plastic plate to install in the well that keeps the feet off of the paint. I opted for this version, even though I have both a Yakima and Thule bar set sitting around from older vehicles. The covers do NOT come off (or at least they're not supposed to).
Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Indeed, although mine did not come with the protection inserts. I was kind of upset about that. Emailing the seller since the instruction booklet says its included.
They still sit above the paint though.
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 PM
There is no spoon

Hopefully Thule has fixed that issue, I appreciate the info. I would be very upset if a rack dented the roof when claiming it was specifically fit to my vehicle. I've never had an issue with them, but then again never had a fixed point mount before either...
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 AM

If you find it does hit anything, just wrap the mounting point on the bar tower in foam tape (wider size). Just make a small hole where the screw goes, and you won't have to deal with any paint getting warped or dented.
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
Black kidney grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley5GT View Post
Added a few mods:
-OEM BMW F07 Crossbars.
-Inno Forklock III bike mount (x2)
-Inno 50" fairing
-Matte black Kidney grilles and lower grill wings
-Matte black side marker surrounds (not sure how I feel about this one, might remove it).
-D.Bag Euro plate w/ Munich Autohaus dealership frame.

@ Oakley5GT... Where did you get the black kidney grills and lower grill wings?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 AM

Hi there,
I plasti-dipped both items. The lower fins are just covers pop out when you play with the tabs.

I couldn't get the kidney grills out, so I masked everything behind them as best I could and went to town with the plasti-dip.

All cost about $10 for the dip and automotive painters' tape.

It looks EXACTLY THE SAME as painting them matte black, and can be removed in mere minutes with some goo gone.

Unfortunately, the car was totaled 2 weeks ago .

The roof crossbars are for sale if anyone is interested.
'13 Ford Edge Sport

Last edited by Oakley5GT; 12-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
That sucks!

Wow. That sucks! Was the insurance compensation fair? Are you shopping for another GT? Seems that you are ok...after an accident, that is all that matters.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Insurance compensation was more than fair. Lu was worried since the KBB value had decreased about 15K since I bought it in July, but insurance handled it great.

Definitely not shipping for another GT or BMW. I loved the GT but the value with these is just too drastic of a loss. I'm pre-ordering the new STi in January
Thanks for the well wishes though. Please let me know if you need any more help and I'll do my best
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
In my experience the amount of depreciation you are willing to swallow depends on the amount of time you are willing to keep a vehicle. You seem to go from car to car at quite a fast clip. It would serve you best to start with a car that has a lower acquisition cost. I am more than curious as to what your GT looked like totaled. It sounds as though you and your family are safe. So I hope I am not being inconsiderate by asking you to relive the occurrence. Most of us in this forum would be curious as to how our GT's hold up in all manner of collisions. I would be grateful for your real world information. Best of luck.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post
In my experience the amount of depreciation you are willing to swallow depends on the amount of time you are willing to keep a vehicle. You seem to go from car to car at quite a fast clip. It would serve you best to start with a car that has a lower acquisition cost. I am more than curious as to what your GT looked like totaled. It sounds as though you and your family are safe. So I hope I am not being inconsiderate by asking you to relive the occurrence. Most of us in this forum would be curious as to how our GT's hold up in all manner of collisions. I would be grateful for your real world information. Best of luck.
+1, I was curious about speed factor and if the vehicle even looked totaled. Btw, did you have ceramic controls? I'm trying to source some...
Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue2258 View Post

Thanks very much for the well wishes.

Normally, I'd agree with you on the depreciation rate. Especially with a new vehicle.
My GT's original owner paid roughly 70K with the options it had. This was in June of 2010.

I purchased the vehicle in July of 2013 for roughly 40K(trade in was roughly 36K at this point). By the time I checked it (right after my accident), the trade in value was at 24K.

That's about 50% in 3 years (when I purchased it), and up to 66% 6 months after that.

Similarly, my wife's 2010 X3 was about 55K when purchased new by the original owner. We purchased it in March of 2012 for $30K. We ended up trading it about a month ago for 23K. He X3 seemed to have faired a bit better than the GT. Mostly due to the niche market of the GT, I assume.

No matter, the insurance company gave me market value for my GT when they totaled it (about 34K). I definitely appreciated that. I had planned to keep the GT for a while, actually, as it was a great and comfortable car. Obviously that isn't the case, so I'm going to go back to the STi (which I should have never traded in the first place).

The vehicle wasn't involved in a collision with another vehicle. It actually suffered water damage from a retention pond. The front was almost entirely submerged (up to the hood and 3/4 the way up the front wheel wells. Water level in the cabin was about where the lower dash is, so all lower controls were submerged.

The only items I was able to save were the owners manuals and pamphlets (free to anyone who wants them) and the OEm crossbars. Luckily I was alone (on my way to go cycling), so my family was out of danger

Again, thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Edit: honestly the only BMW vehicle I am interested in is the 3GT... I just can't bring myself to pay 60K for a 3 series (335i GT with MSport). I'll just have the STi for a while and see where it goes.
'13 Ford Edge Sport

Last edited by Oakley5GT; 12-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
There is no spoon

New here from Florida: 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley5GT View Post
Thanks very much for the well wishes.

Normally, I'd agree with you on the depreciation rate. Especially with a new vehicle.
My GT's original owner paid roughly 70K with the options it had. This was in June of 2010.

I purchased the vehicle in July of 2013 for roughly 40K(trade in was roughly 36K at this point). By the time I checked it (right after my accident), the trade in value was at 24K.

No matter, the insurance company gave me market value for my GT when they totaled it (about 34K). I definitely appreciated that.

Edit: honestly the only BMW vehicle I am interested in is the 3GT... I just can't bring myself to pay 60K for a 3 series (335i GT with MSport). I'll just have the STi for a while and see where it goes.
You made me curious so I went to kbb.com to see what our trade in would be and it ranged from $32,500-37,500. Probably a $5000 hit in 5 months if we were considering selling. When we were searching I quickly saw the 550's were anywhere from $1-4k more expensive than the 535's and most had more options so it was a no-brainer in our book. I agree with your assessment on the 3GT even though it's not a true 3 series similar to ours not being a true 5 series. That last part is useless banter and not an issue for you...anyway having cycling and GT's in common I hope you stick around the GT forums!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-31-2013, 12:13 AM

I regretted not holding out for a 550 GT for a while. I think what drove my value down so quick was that it had 55K+ miles, and that's a bit high for a 3 year old car. It was a CPO, but there isn't really an option for that on KBB.

You're absolutely right about it being more of a 5 series-esque car. I always raved to my wife about how it was based on the 3 series 'L' chassis in China to my wife, and I definitely wanted it before I settled for the 5GT. I saw the 3GT for the first time in person when I went to remove the parts from my car at the dealership, and fell in love all over again, but I can't really affor it at the moment since I only make about $80K a year. I may lease an M3 later on in my career, but I don't feel now is the time (especially with a newborn) to dabble into a vehicle expense like that.

I'll try to stick around as much as I can and keep contributing. Hope you all have a great new year!
'13 Ford Edge Sport