Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i & 2012 Audi A6
Question New or Used X5

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask a few questions about BMW's that I was hoping you guys would know about. I'm debating about purchasing a brand new X5 and would love some advice. I want to be a little more prepared before I walk into a dealer and bend over for them!

First of all, can someone please tell me what "leatherette" is? I'm assuming that it is immitation leather. Can you tell me if it's noticibly different from the real deal? Oh one more thing...if the car comes standard with "leatherette" is the entire part of the seats "leatherette" or is it just the back and sides of the seats (like when a leather recliner uses immitation leather on the back and sides)?

Does anyone know if the X5 comes standard with a moonroof? I've been trying to do research on it, and it doesn't look like it does.

Oh one more thing, does anyone know what year BMW started making clear rear signal lenses in the X5? I don't like the amber signal lenses. I've looked online at many place and it looks like it may have been 2002, although I see both versions in the 2002 model. I'm just keeping this in mind in case I decide to go with a used model...yeah I know I'm weird...I'm driving myself nuts not know what to do.
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnpcwiz
First of all, can someone please tell me what "leatherette" is? I'm assuming that it is immitation leather. Can you tell me if it's noticibly different from the real deal? Oh one more thing...if the car comes standard with "leatherette" is the entire part of the seats "leatherette" or is it just the back and sides of the seats (like when a leather recliner uses immitation leather on the back and sides)?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sea...earchid=634326
Old 06-28-2004, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Honda S2000
Warm Leatherette....
Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnpcwiz
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask a few questions about BMW's that I was hoping you guys would know about. I'm debating about purchasing a brand new X5 and would love some advice. I want to be a little more prepared before I walk into a dealer and bend over for them!

Does anyone know if the X5 comes standard with a moonroof? I've been trying to do research on it, and it doesn't look like it does.

Oh one more thing, does anyone know what year BMW started making clear rear signal lenses in the X5? I don't like the amber signal lenses. I've looked online at many place and it looks like it may have been 2002, although I see both versions in the 2002 model. I'm just keeping this in mind in case I decide to go with a used model...yeah I know I'm weird...I'm driving myself nuts not know what to do.

As the name implies, "ette" is BMW's fake leather, which has fooled even some detailers at first. Most common folk (non-Bimmerians) think it's the real thing. I have it, as it's a low maintenance item as well as very long wearing.

As for the clear signal lenses in MY2002, these were standard in the sport packaged models; the non-SP models have the amber lenses. The moonroofs are an optional item, also included with the premium package.

Do a search on each of these questions - tons of info available.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 06-28-2004, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i & 2012 Audi A6
Hey guys, sorry I didn't do a search prior to posting my questions on the forum. I belong to other forums and I hate it when people post redundant questions. Sorry for being such a n00b. I appreciate your responses.