Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: '98 E36 M3 Sedan
Guibo Question

I replaced the drive shaft on my '98 M3 sedan. I bought a remanufactured drive shaft online from whole sale import parts. I compared the new drive shaft to the old briefly and it seemed about the same size so I sent the old drive shaft back for the core deposit.

After installing the new drive shaft it seemed like perhaps it wasn't quite long enough. I only say this because the guibo or flex disc seemed to twist and have to flex more than I thought it should after tightening down the bolts that hold the disc between the drive shaft and the transmission... see attached pics.

Is this normal twist or flex for the disc? I don't ever remember it having to flex this much after tightening down the bolts?? Did I install something wrong or is this normal for it to flex and twist this much??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	414810   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	414811  
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Loosen the center coupler nut and adjust the driveshaft to fit better. Be sure and tighten it back down afterwards.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: '98 E36 M3 Sedan
Wink

Thanks for the reply. I found out what the issue was. I had removed the transmission support to gain better access to install the driveshaft and flex disc. After I re-installed the tranny support it raised the whole drive train a bit and the twists went away. I took it out for a test drive and it felt real good. I took it up to 120MPH on the interstate so I'm pretty sure she's good to go. The drivetrain feels real solid now with a new driveshaft, aftermarket tranny support, and the UUC rear diff support. Man do I love my M3...

Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by idbracing View Post
Some of the M3's don't have this nut. For instance my 97 M3 Sedan came factory with the 6 bolt cv joint at the differential end, and it has a ujoint in the center. It doesn't have the nut as shown above, it has an actual bolt that is in the center of the yoke inside the ujoint that holds the two halves together. There's no adjustment. The back end of the shaft has splines that the cv joint floats on which makes up for any length changes. Buddies 98 convertible has the 4 bolt double ujoint shaft with adjustment nut shown above.

Just in case someone comes around later and is confused by the picture when they can't find the nut, because the first time I did my shaft I was confused as well.