Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Drove the i3

If I were to distill it into a few words:

Drives like a BMW. Interior is a tragedy of cheap materials and questionable ergonomics.

Was actually fairly surprised by the drive quality. The pick-up was only modest in my opinion, but that's having driven a Tesla.

I could justify it if it was in the 20K range. I can't wrap my head around 40K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05410.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	416328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05414.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	416329   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05422.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	416330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05423.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	416331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05418.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	416332  

Ads by Google
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Traded M5 for Volt!?!?
It's probably more like $50K (or even $55k) once you start running it through the configurator (especially if you want the rEx, leather, tech, etc.). Sure, you get the $7500 rebate (assuming you have at least that much tax burden), but it is still a lot of coin. One thing each person needs to factor in is the fuel savings. I went from an E39 M5 to my Volt and the fuel bill dropped about $200 a month...that's a serious chunk of change. Having said that, it only happens "once"...what I mean is, once you make the switch from gas to electric you see that big save, but every subsequent electric purchase is apples to apples and a $40K Volt (loaded) starts to seem like a bit of a deal. Still hoping to get test drive if they ever bring the i3s back through Dallas.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster, M3
Yesterday I drove the new BMW i3 electric car. Folks, we have a winner here. It was nimble, fast, fun, nearly silent, spacious, built to BMW standards of quality and fit and finish and ever-so green. Yes, the "recycled carbon fiber" looks a bit cheap in the interior. With a 100 mile range most people will never have to fill up with gas again. If you want, there's an optional gas battery-recharger that will double your range. I drove a Tesla model S a while back and it was fast but far from fun and twice the price of the i3. As for the Tesla, sure you can shell out for a 300 mile range battery, but you pay the price in dollars and weight - and weight is the enemy of efficiency, handling and fun. The i3 will recharge in your garage with standard 110V in about 2.5 hours for about $3.00. No need to buy a special charger or install 220V. And yes, it has seat heaters! Running these will cost you about 2-3 miles of your 100 mile range. I fit in the back seats without knees or head touching anything. If you want to compare it to a Nissan Leaf, the Leaf goes about 58 miles in real-world driving (Car & Driver long term test) and take 12 hours to recharge.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhbmw View Post
Folks, we have a winner here. It was nimble, fast, fun, nearly silent, spacious, built to BMW standards of quality and fit and finish and ever-so green.
Don't think this one is a winner. It feels like a prototype car, with a lot of awkward bits and pieces that scream economy and/or cheap. It's reasonably peppy for a short range electric, but there's nothing about it that seems particularly innovative or competitive. Build a 3-series equivalent of an i8 and maybe it's a game changer.

Considering with 40k-50k gets you in a gas car, the i3 is all disappointment unless you have to have a BMW electric car (which I believe will be the only sales driver). Tesla is still the one to beat.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 AM

It's completely innovative, from the carbon fiber monocoque to the styling inside and out. This car requires you to toss out your pre-conceived notions of what is normal and experience it for itself. It's a completely new idea and one that I find compelling. To each his own. Tesla? No thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
How much time did you spend with the car? Were you able to drive it in a wide variety of conditions?

We had one out for an hour and didn't like it. Innovative? Yes. But there are far too many negatives. Detailed report here --> http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=742337
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 AM

I spent about 20 minutes driving on city streets, though I did get it up to high speeds. The interior is different from anything else and the only thing I didn't like was the dark gray recycled carbon fiber - it looked too much like packing material. I found the seats very comfortable - not sofa-like but firm and supportive. Getting into the back seat wasn't super easy, but once there I fit easily. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 200 lbs. I didn't get a chance to take it on twisty roads but I did take corners fast and never found the limit of the "narrow" tires. These are 195's so by modern day steamroller tires they are on the narrow side, but the contact patch isn't much smaller, just longer than wide.

I am one that happens to think the leaf is not at all attractive. It's another jellybean from Asia and the tail is downright weird. The leaf is too heavy, range is too short, it takes too long to recharge.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvhbmw View Post

I am one that happens to think the leaf is not at all attractive. It's another jellybean from Asia and the tail is downright weird.
Yes.

Quote:
The leaf is too heavy,
Yes.

Quote:
range is too short, it takes too long to recharge.
Is the i3 any better?

Real range difference between the two is only a few miles. At the moment it isn't clear if either car has more meaningful range. Leaf is larger and heavier but it also has a more usable battery capacity. It may come down to conditions the cars are tested under.

The unrealistic EU drive cycle range for Leaf is 124 miles. i3 scores 118 miles in the same test.

2013 Leaf EPA range is low because of the 80% charge option. Nissan took that out for 2014 and the range went up to 84 miles. I will be surprised if EPA range for the i3 is more than 90 miles. It may end up closer to 80.

FWIW a Renault Fluence ZE will probably go farther than either of them.

Charge time for Leaf is 3 to 4 hours at 6.6kW or 30 minutes on a Rapid. i3 is about the same but there are NO rapid chargers compatible with the i3 installed anywhere in the UK.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-13-2014 at 12:19 PM.