Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: E93 M3
So I finally did it...

I'm a bit excited as I finally bit the bullet and bought an 2011 M3 Convertible with 40k miles. It's the Jerez(sp?) Black Metallic color. ***Merry Christmas to me***

This is my first Bimmer, and so far I'm loving it. I think I got a great deal paying $45.6k and it's got all the options to boot, including the DCT.

I do have a quick question... what is the best after market exhaust to get? I doubt it will invalidate the warranty, but wanted to check on that as well?

My kindest regards!
Ads by Google
Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
So I finally did it...

Congratulations! Just picked up an '11 M3 vert in mineral white myself.

I've been looking into exhausts myself.
So far, the best seem to be Akrapovic or the Eisenmann race edition with challenge pipes.

They also have Remus exhausts, which can be had for under $2K. (The above two are like $5-6K)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboycz View Post
I do have a quick question... what is the best after market exhaust to get? I doubt it will invalidate the warranty, but wanted to check on that as well?
OP, congrats on buying an M3 and welcome to the forum!

Regarding exhaust systems, are you looking at cat-back only? If so, you are correct, it wouldn't invalidate the warranty. Only when the mid-pipe, which contains the cats and resonators, could it impact the warranty. Cat-back systems provide two benefits, change in sound and appearance. Some of the vendors include Akrapovic (Akra), Dinan, BMW M Performance (MPE), Eisenmann, Evolve and there are more. Like selecting a color combo or DCT vs. MT, the selection of a exhaust system is per the buyers preference. You find some owners who are very passionate about a certain brand. I would recommend searching as there are numerous posts on this topic. YouTube will have videos. This will provide an idea of the sound production but most recordings don't provide the full (sound) range.

Be sure to pick a system that doesn't drone. Again, "search/Google" is your friend. Cat-back systems for the M3 can be expensive, ranging from $2-3.5k USD. With the new M3/M4 on the horizon, some owners are parting their cars to prepare for the new model. Therefore you may want to check the classifieds.

I am running the MPE. In-part, I was able to obtain it for a very low *****in price from the dealer (BMW subsidized most of it due to a delivery issue). I love the sound! The look is okay but I would prefer a cleaner look. If I wasn't provided a great deal, I would've gone with the Akra slip-on.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Congrats, and that's a great deal on a fantastic car. Congratulations!

As for exhaust systems... well honestly I'd head over to M3post.com and read up there. It's a really active community (I'm Sinister Crayon over there but I'm pretty quiet) and while there are a lot more dumb threads about street racing there's also a wealth of really good information. They have a whole section on exhausts and they encourage posting video clips of different exhaust systems. It's a great way to compare the sound and look.

Myself I'm still on the stock exhaust. I probably will switch it out at some point but I've had more important things to spend money on the last couple of months. Still, the stock exhaust doesn't sound horrible in my opinion... it's quiet enough that you can actually hear the engine which is what really makes this car special.

That and the balance of the entire chassis. I've never owned a car like it.

Now if I can just get rid of all the squeaks and rattles...
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Congrats and Welcome! :beerchug;

I think the BMW Performance exhaust is pretty sweet. No warranty issues.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: 640i
I had the Gintani Sport exhaust and it was spectacular. I took it off my M3 before turning it in. I still have it if you're interested.check it out on You Tube.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 AM
"Orange you scurred?"

Mein Auto: OrangeM3
i have the Dinan High Flow Middle Racing Exhaust with the additional Middle Exhaust Software package. No warranty issues and it sounds and performs incredible!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Spent too much money lately, but will probably go with the ESS exhaust w/ HF cats in the next couple of months. Good HP/TQ gains and can still pass inspection. Plus the price for the sound and benefit seems to be the best value.

I did check out the Gintani and Dinan...both very nice.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
"Orange you scurred?"

I hear ya on the $$$$ thing. The end of last year I picked up a 2012 Orange M3 that is totally Moded out which is a good thing because I have too many projects going on......enjoy bro!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 PM

Well, I just have to vent a little bit.

I've had my M3 for less than a month and got a door ding although I've been very careful how/where I park. Of all things it happened at my office (private parking lot where everyone in there works in the same building as you...go figure). Not only did I get a ding, but they also chipped my paint right on the edge kind of at door handle height. I almost feel like someone did it on purpose due to all the ribbing I get from my co-workers for buying the car...like I'm an atypical douche bag for buying it. Is it possible others at work are envious.

It looks lovely on the Jerez Black Metallic paint by the way and really sticks out (sarcasm).

So should I just hold off and have an annual door ding repair session with my local body shop/PDR guy (don't have one yet)? Just suck it up and soon I won't notice it? Right now it's like a girl with a hot body and pretty face except for that bulging zit on the tip of her nose.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Get the ding fixed. It will keep you up at night and bother you forever. Then learn the proper way to park your BMW... about 20 miles away from every other car in the most remote parking lot you can find. Welcome to the club!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
Get the ding fixed. It will keep you up at night and bother you forever. Then learn the proper way to park your BMW... about 20 miles away from every other car in the most remote parking lot you can find. Welcome to the club!
I agree with Alee. It is unfortunate that it happened.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 AM
"Orange you scurred?"

Going to the body shop is a must! There is no other option. Pretty ****ty that people can't be happy for others!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 335is
That's how you get your car braking into...or worse, stolen

Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst335is View Post
That's how you get your car braking into...or worse, stolen

I'm pretty sure his coworkers aren't going to steal his car...

Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM
"Orange you scurred?"

If he has to worry about his coworkers stealing his car, I believe a Transfer is in order IMHO....haha
It's safe at the body shop so let's get that sing handled!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
I'm pretty sure his coworkers aren't going to steal his car...

Sorry...I meant to reply to the post where it says to park far far away from all other cars in a parking lot

Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst335is View Post
Sorry...I meant to reply to the post where it says to park far far away from all other cars in a parking lot

Ahhh, I got you

Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
I agree with Alee. It is unfortunate that it happened.
+2

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:14 PM

Well, got it done today. Come to find out there was also a crease above the ding that wasn't noticeable until he put the halogen light on the panel. So got it taken care of as well. Only problem left is ding and chipped paint on the ridge along the handle line. He said he couldn't fix that.

Regardless, it definitely looks better.

The chip/ding is on the panel behind the drivers side door but in front of the wheel well. Just inside enough to where it's behind the interior panel. He also looked and it appears there's a double layer of metal so you don't have access to it by accessing where the window motor is...bummer