Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Topaz/Black '01 330Ci
Angry Looks like it's true

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=02612566

I've heard of this before, but didn't quite believe it. Doesn't really affect me since I'm out of warranty now, but something to think about for later.

Pauca sed matura. [Few but excellent.]
-- Gauss
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Has BMWNA taken a position on this yet?

So now people will be AutoXing under aliases (but with the engine diagnostics and memory, don't think that will help much)
Photo gallery
Old 07-01-2004, 12:11 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenotaph
http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=02612566

I've heard of this before, but didn't quite believe it. Doesn't really affect me since I'm out of warranty now, but something to think about for later.
:atyclb:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=87

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:15 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro
So now people will be AutoXing under aliases
Some clubs/regions have stopped listing car make/model/color/year in their results because of it. If it becomes a larger issue, I suspect that more and more clubs will do the same.

Evenif the computers function as a black box, it could only be used as justification for the manufacturer to claim customer abuse.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-01-2004, 01:48 PM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
This is just another reason for all you folks to go out and get a dedicated track car or shifter kart.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Why is this just becoming an "issue" now? People have been racing their new cars for years. Is it because technology is at the point where automakers can better track down people who do it? I'd imagine the policy was always the same-- if they suspect that you tracked it or "abused" it they can try and deny warranty coverage. I do sort of see the manufacturer's side though-- it is hard to expect them to "fund" frequent racing events. Even dedicate race car needs to be rebuilt once a season or so. But, they can't have it both ways- they should stop advertising the cars in ways that imply you should buy one to compete.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:38 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
weak...very weak
Old 07-01-2004, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 E46 328Ci Bright Red
My theory on this is that many companies are trying to cash in on the performance marketing model, a la BMW M, and aren't prepared to deal with the consequences of such a program. Back when it was only a handful of enthusiasts, it probably wasn't that bad to cover the costs of this stuff, but now that performance is in and mass-market, it's a different story.

Also a lot of the scary track stories you read on the Internet with really uncontrolled and undisciplined learning environments probably hasn't helped --- people are screwing up their cars in greater numbers. Certainly, the recent anti-track insurance policies reflect this trend.

I find it ironic too that the Evo uses a fully seam-welded Lancer chassis: it seems kind of stupid to do that and then say you can't drive the car hard. Porsche's absolutist position was really surprising coming from a company that sells the 911GT3 and factory roll-cages. What's the point? If you mess up the car on the track, that's understandable and you should be held responsible, but to dismiss all claims because you've been on the track seems too extreme.

--Andre
Old 07-01-2004, 06:12 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
So has BMWNA announced such a policy (yet) ?
Photo gallery
Old 07-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
The key to this is that these are timed competition events. BMW CCA Driving schools are solely for driver education. BMW CCA Club Racing is for exactly that.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
well a number of people are claiming BMW contingency money so BMW has their personal info, but to the best of my knowledge they have never used it to deny warranty claims

it often comes down to the dealership, sounds like Mitsu has taken it to the corp level

in case you weren't aware, rumors are that Mitsu is close to going belly up, so they are desparate to improve their bottom line any way possible, coming up with excuses to deny waranty claim losses serves this purpose. Sadly, they didn't recognize that a large part of their sales was directly related with the owner's intended use, so in the end they have shot themselves in the foot. Anybody who autocrosses won't go near Mitsu again.

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 07-02-2004, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZ4
well a number of people are claiming BMW contingency money so BMW has their personal info, but to the best of my knowledge they have never used it to deny warranty claims

it often comes down to the dealership, sounds like Mitsu has taken it to the corp level

in case you weren't aware, rumors are that Mitsu is close to going belly up, so they are desparate to improve their bottom line any way possible, coming up with excuses to deny waranty claim losses serves this purpose. Sadly, they didn't recognize that a large part of their sales was directly related with the owner's intended use, so in the end they have shot themselves in the foot. Anybody who autocrosses won't go near Mitsu again.
Yeah, I think Mitsubishi has done a lot of desperate things that have later gotten them into trouble. I remember reading that they had a campaign for several years where they lended way too much to sub-prime lendees and had to write-off a ton of debt.