Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i convertible
What does my BMW have in common with a 1974 Corolla?

Ive had this 2009 128i convertible now since August of 2013. I love the way it drives, handles, goes like stink (relatively), and it's comfortable. But good grief it's a rattletrap! I've had convertibles before, some of them very cheap convertibles, including 4 Chrysler Sebring's, (not a premium car) but this BMW makes them all seem like bank vaults. i understand the potential for squeaks and rattles at the top-windshield connection, but it sounds like rocks in a tumbler over the smallest bumps. Then there are the interior trim pieces. The A-pillar trim pieces sound like there's someone beating on them with a squeak-stick. All of the door trim panels sound like they're all in constant motion, each squeaking in opposition to the one next to it. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine but as a place to sit while driving it reminds of the 1974 Toyota Corolla, a 12th-hand turn-over car i had in Sigonella, back in the day. What a piece of work this car is. I'm shopping for some spray foam to shoot behind every panel in the thing. Sheesh!
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
I suspect you are a troll; if not, I suggest you might be happier with a Corolla, they are better than they were in 1974.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by After guard View Post
Ive had this 2009 128i convertible now since August of 2013. I love the way it drives, handles, goes like stink (relatively), and it's comfortable. But good grief it's a rattletrap! I've had convertibles before, some of them very cheap convertibles, including 4 Chrysler Sebring's, (not a premium car) but this BMW makes them all seem like bank vaults. i understand the potential for squeaks and rattles at the top-windshield connection, but it sounds like rocks in a tumbler over the smallest bumps. Then there are the interior trim pieces. The A-pillar trim pieces sound like there's someone beating on them with a squeak-stick. All of the door trim panels sound like they're all in constant motion, each squeaking in opposition to the one next to it. I believe BMW is the ultimate driving machine but as a place to sit while driving it reminds of the 1974 Toyota Corolla, a 12th-hand turn-over car i had in Sigonella, back in the day. What a piece of work this car is. I'm shopping for some spray foam to shoot behind every panel in the thing. Sheesh!
Sounds (pun intended or not) like you got a car that was fairly abused in its previous life. Generally speaking squeaks and rattles are not common complaints with BMWs. Even 'verts.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: E82, E84
I don't know about 1974, but I know what it has in common with my 1978 Corolla...

RWD!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
I've sat in a few at meets and never had this type of issue.
Even with mine, upgraded suspension that is just rock hard....no rattles or any type of noise you describe.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
I suspect you are a troll; if not, I suggest you might be happier with a Corolla, they are better than they were in 1974.
That's pretty funny, actually. Nope, not a troll but maybe I exaggerated a bit out of frustration. It does have a lot of squeaks but maybe it's more noticible because I came out a Crossfire coupe which was an SLK 320 in a Chrysler suit and it was the most rigid car I've ever owned. However, I really like the bimmer anyway. I didnt buy it as a CPO but the previous owner, who had it less than a year, did buy it as a CPO so im the third owner according to Carfax. Its in great condition, just squeaky.

The old Corolla was really a lot worse...
Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by After guard View Post
take the RFT out put Non RFT on and half of your rattle disappears
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
I don't think the OP is a troll. My 2012 F12 (which i ordered brand new) squeaks and rattles like a WWII era Jeep. I too wanted to put foam under every panel in this thing. Sounds like crap in a car with an MSRP in excess of 109K.

He says he loves the car other than the rattling. He's expressing his frustrations with things that shouldn't be. I love my car too other than the rattling and yes it is akin to a 1974 Corolla's rattling issues. Don't mean I want a Corolla

Last edited by Itinj6; 01-18-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Have you tried switching to non rft.... The car suddenly bocomes very quiet
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
My 2009 128i vert has more motion and noise over substantial pot holes but over smooth pavement it is very quiet. The plastic bits also move around some with temperature. So in the winter, there is noise as the car interior comes up in temperature. There are substantial braces in the form of an X under the passenger compartment but it is still less rigid than the coupe. The only way to make a vert rigid is to have high door sill area. That works on a Miata because it is so low to the ground. Not sure it would work well on the 1. I can feel the lack of rigidity sometimes but I'm still glad I have a vert - especially when the weather is good!