Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Actually, I also checked at the realoem.com... it is the part number 63126934836, and states "Electronics box ALC uncoded"... So seems like these models do not require coding..However, this part number says ended (no price), and the one below that parte # 63127189312 has the price of $147.35 for two modules. Not sure what that means. Does that mean the one that states Ended, was not used in my car, but the one that has the price was used in my car? Direct link is http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=63&fg=05
Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Boom335

Mein Auto: 335i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
Actually, I also checked at the realoem.com... it is the part number 63126934836, and states "Electronics box ALC uncoded"... So seems like these models do not require coding..However, this part number says ended (no price), and the one below that parte # 63127189312 has the price of $147.35 for two modules. Not sure what that means. Does that mean the one that states Ended, was not used in my car, but the one that has the price was used in my car? Direct link is http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=63&fg=05
Did you get it fixed? Did you DIY or take it to a repair shop? I'm having the same problem on my 09 335 for the right headlamp. The headlight itself works but I keep getting the adaptive headlights warning.

Any recommendations for an Indy shop in Northern NJ/ NYC area?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom335 View Post
Any recommendations for an Indy shop in Northern NJ/ NYC area?
Try here for a shop
http://www.bimmershops.com/

Do you see any moisture in the light housing?

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
The LMA definitely needs to be coded to the car, it is one of the units that stores the VO (Vehicle Order) of your car. That is like the DNA, it contains a list of numbers that specify what options are fitted to your car, the CAS module is the other unit that stores the VO. The reason it is stored in two modules is for the case where one if these modules (CAS or LMA) fail, at least then there is a back up.
The reason a unit is listed as "uncoded" is because the unit is sold without pre-coding, ie it must be coded. A new unit must be coded with:
- VIN of your car
- VO of your car
- Specific coding configuration for your market
If you buy a used LMA then you have the additional tasks to do in order to make it work properly in your vehicle:
- Re-write VIN (I believe dealer software cannot do this)
- Update software version on module (potentially)

It would be a fluke if you fitted a second hand unit & it worked 100%, to top this off if you CAS module were to subsequently fail then you would be in all sorts of trouble. Other equipment not related to the CAS or LMA module may not work.

For the e63 there were numerous versions of the LMA fitted over the years. There are two things to consider
- LM1/LM2?
- Xenons/no Xenons

The LM1 unit was fitted to e6x up to about 03/07 built date, as mentioned there was more than one part number for the LM1, if your car had an LM1 & Xenons then any LM1 module that is suitable for Xenons (marked LWR) will work in your car
- LM2 (marked LM II) was fitted after 03/07, these LM/ units again had multiple part numbers as different revisions were released, all will work in cars either equipped with an LM1 or LM2 originally.
Check on www.realoem.com for the part numbers before you buy, there is always some a a available on EBay, in the photos you'll see a 7 digit part number on the module, Realoem.com lists the full 11 digit number, the 7 digit number is the last 7 digits of the 11 digit number.

To find a guide on how to code a new unit search out a guide written by Bruce Miranda on the bmwcoding forum. You need "BMW Standard Tools" to do it = NCS Expert, Tool32 & WinKFP.
I'm about to upgrade my LM1 to an LM2 in order to get the new features like, Angel Eyes as DRL, Welcome Lights & Cornering fogs, hence knowing the above. I'm gonna write my own more detailed guide based on Bruce's guide when I do the job.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM

I had the same issue and it was not the LMA or the CAS modules, especially if it's only happening on one side.

I would look to the ALC (Adaptive Light Controller) or the SMC (Stepper Motor Controller).

The ALC is mounted on the bottom of the light housing and you have to remove the front bumper to get to it. I would guess it's that module.

If you have any moisture at all in the housing it can settle there and take out that module.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Alot of people just code out the Adaptive Function instead of taking the costly route of replacement. Different folks, different strokes though.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lebcardiag
Mein Auto: F30
is there away to disable this warning from both the instrumental cluster and CIC using NCSexpert
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebcardiag View Post
is there away to disable this warning from both the instrumental cluster and CIC using NCSexpert
There is definitely a way, however; my question is does it let the rest of the functionalities work as fine? Like self leveling (when you turn on the head lights, they are pointed lower, and then raise) etc...
Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 AM
Young niga in aBeamercoup

Send a message via Yahoo to 64nickle
Mein Auto: 05 645ci BMW
Last week low beam out function came on I was told I need a control unit this week Adaptive Headlight malfunction i'm hoping is just the control unit that I need already looking forward to getting to fix already but if there something else I just might blow my car up
Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyice View Post
I called 2 Indy shops in my area and they both quoted around $700 for replacing the module! $300 is a really good price!
Word me too 700 and the dealer 2500 so 300$ is almost unreal
Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 PM

No more bull**** indey shops

I have a question my right low beam went out I took it to a indy shop, they told me I need a control unit module but the only thing is they haven't put my latch back on to prevent any water to get inside the lights or anything now all my wires are sticking out my tires ate all the wires up he said come tomorrow because I am very very upset can I sue him?
Now adaptive headlamps came on smh he owes me a whole new light Assembly
Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64nickle View Post
I have a question my right low beam went out I took it to a indy shop, they told me I need a control unit module but the only thing is they haven't put my latch back on to prevent any water to get inside the lights or anything now all my wires are sticking out my tires ate all the wires up he said come tomorrow because I am very very upset can I sue him?
Now adaptive headlamps came on smh he owes me a whole new light Assembly
Was this a BMW shop?

Old 01-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 650I cabrio
Ok, I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. Low beam out. I had water in my headlight. Resealed headlight and fixed problem. Through swapping parts I found out it was the control module. Took it apart and it was burned up. Bought one off of Ebay and put it in. Headlight now works. Adaptive message is still present. My questions:

1. This was a used control module. Can BMW code it for me? What is a reasonable price for this service?
2. Is this something I can do myself if I buy the DIS software and cable?
3. Where is the best place to buy the software and cable? I am running Windows 7 64 bit on my PC.

Thanks