Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 525i
Tilted!!!!????? WTF?????????

I need a little bit of help here gentlemen in identifying the cause of my baby's tilt. She sports 20" Staggered rims and kinda leans toward the front passenger side. Im very intuned with her sounds and the way she moves and it feels like its getting worse. Sometimes I have to pull over and check if I have a flat, cause it feels like that. But sometimes its hardly noticable. Other times it feels like Im driving on 3 wheels!! I just got new shocks and struts a few months back but I had the problem even before that. I pointed it out to my mechanic and he said to bring it back and they will put her on a treadmill or something like that. But Damn my sweethearts getting expensive, Ive already put like $4,500 into her and kept her over my 2003 745Li. So if anyone knows what the lean is all about please bless me with your wisdom. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1378221_223340627829164_686240998_n.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	418669  
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
Was it aligned properly? Is there any abnormal tread wear?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,
Old 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM

Not that Ive noticed and Ive looked at least once a day.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:28 PM

as far as I know it was aligned right.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Put bigger tire on front right to compensate your placebo effect!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: '03 540i/6
Weird

Last edited by eohagan; 01-25-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Measurements?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

It's not really possible to pin point exactly why this could be happening from your description and a small picture of the car.

If the car isn't sitting properly and is 'tilted' as you say you need to check the car for any damage, obvious signs of chassis failure, obvious signs of suspension components failure(s), checking that you actually put on the correct suspension components for the model of the car .. and so forth.

With 20's on an E39, the car looks so much better, balanced and cohesive with the body styling. Currently, it looks like it's on stilts ! Once you find the cause of the issue, you can evaluate on how to rectify it, and if it's down to the wrong suspension for instance, then when you change it, perhaps look for excellent quality coilovers which will allow you to run lower, make the car look 'balanced' on those wheels and keep a very high quality ride / comfort level.

Good luck !

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
You say changed struts and shocks, they are the same! Your cause of tilt could be a bad coil if you didn't change those because that is what holds the car up. The only way to tell is to take them apart and compare there hight side by side. Body damage is second on the list.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadWolf View Post
I need a little bit of help here gentlemen in identifying the cause of my baby's tilt. She sports 20" Staggered rims and kinda leans toward the front passenger side. Im very intuned with her sounds and the way she moves and it feels like its getting worse. Sometimes I have to pull over and check if I have a flat, cause it feels like that. But sometimes its hardly noticable. Other times it feels like Im driving on 3 wheels!! I just got new shocks and struts a few months back but I had the problem even before that. I pointed it out to my mechanic and he said to bring it back and they will put her on a treadmill or something like that. But Damn my sweethearts getting expensive, Ive already put like $4,500 into her and kept her over my 2003 745Li. So if anyone knows what the lean is all about please bless me with your wisdom. Thanks.
You really need to provide some objective metrics for your problem. Using vague terms like "kinda" and "feels like" don't do anything for us reading your post and does not allow us to help. As BB says, provide some measurements. Otherwise, we feel like you are kinda imagining you have a problem.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: e39 530d Touring 2002
macpherson struts

Perhaps check if the clamp that holds the front wheel hub to the macpherson strut loosened.
cheers, e39-rijder
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: '98 528
As Fudman said, you need to get some facts, not feelings. An easy objective test would be to measure the distance from the top of the wheel arch to the center of each wheel hub. There is a spec for ride height. You can then see if your suspension is even and within spec. And it only takes a few minutes to do this. Just make sure you do the measurements on level ground.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
There is a spec for ride height.

See also:
- Which of the dozen alignment specs are adjustable on the BMW E39 (1) (pdf) & cn90's front (1) (2) and rear (1) wheel alignment DIYs & how to keep the steering wheel (SW) straight during home alignment (1) (2) & what tools measure rear camber at home (1) (2) and what tools measure front/rear toe at home (1) & what tools lock the steering wheel & brake pedal at home (1) & the theory of alignment with weights (1) or without adding weight (1) (2) (3)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
BigBadWolf, is the car balanced when you sit in the driver's seat? Call a friend and have them put a bubble level on the bumper.
I say this because, when empty, my 540 w/self-leveling suspension is level and my 525 w/static suspension has a little lean to the front pass. side. However, both cars are level when I am in the driver's seat. Both cars have stock wheels, tires, and suspension. I believe that the static suspension is tuned so that the car is level when the driver's seat is occupied. Perhaps, the changes that were made to the wheels, tires, and/or suspension exaggerated this effect. IMHO: If the car isn't sitting proper, the mechanic should finish the job they were paid to do.