Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: '85 euro 635
Eonon - so close, yet so far

I was really excited to get my new Eonon car stereo on Monday. I was tired of the stock radio with bad sound and no Ipod connection. I looked at everything out there, but non of them looked right in the car. The overall appearance of the unit sold me on it. Kudos to the design team.

My joy quickly changed to frustration as I started to install it. No installation instructions. Really??? When I had a question for support they told me it's plug and play. This product was designed to fit an e39, and what the team at Eonon does not seem to understand is that it's one thing to know what the function of a wire is on the head unit (that's half of the equation), and another to know which wire on the car needs to connect to it. Also some tips on how to remove the old stereo cage and door would have been helpful.

Pros:

Super fast shipping. I'm on the west coast, but I ordered it on a Thursday, and it was delivered on Monday (direct ship from Hong Kong).

It looks great!

The Navigation seems to work pretty well. A few things could be correct in the UI, but it's acceptable.

iPod functions also work fine.

The speakers and steering wheel controls were actually plug an play. One connection got that hooked up without having to cut any wires.

Bluetooth works, but you have to hit the sync button each time you get in the car. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and will keep this the "pro" category.

The cons:

After I installed it the lights did not light up. After searching for about half an hour I found a post where the guy took a picture of the wire from the car that needs to connect to the red wire on the head unit (sorry I don't have the link, maybe I'll edit the post later). If there was an installation manual, this would have taken 2 min. At least this problem is solved.

Next issue was the radio. There are 2 antenna cables that go into the back of the stock unit. One standard coax with the BMW/VW type connector, and the other one is a small one that I have never seen before. The adapter that came with the head unit had a connection to the small one. I also had an adapter for the other type of connector. Hooking up either one, with or without power made no difference in my reception. Reception in this car was never great (like most German cars), but at least it was clear. If I hit scan in my garage I cannot get a single station to connect. So I have no usable radio.

My clock doesn't work correctly. It randomly jumps ahead in time. If I go from the radio screen to the nav screen they sometimes show different times. Eventually they both jump forward in time about 6 hours, but at least the minutes are always correct.

I have not attempted to install the backup camera yet. I took several communications with Eonon to get some instructions on how it's supposed to connect. I'm still trying to figure out how to connect it to my "reverse gear". Yeah, thanks for the tip, I like hooking up wires to gears, that usually works really well.

Summary:

I have probably installed 15 stereos, maybe more, and never have I had any issues even close to this. Installation would have gone much better with documentation.

So today I'm completely burnt out, I probably have at least 8 hours into this thing over the last 3 days (includes hands on and web searches). The radio is unusable, and I really like having a radio. I also like having a clock, is that too much to ask? I even tried an aftermarket antenna and that wasn't any better.

I might be sending this thing back and going with a goofy looking Alpine or Kenwood or something. If I could get the radio to work I'd keep it. So close.....
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 AM
Marcos

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Good luck sending it back. Their policy is to only offer a warranty replacement if the unit is found to be defective, and they only do refunds as a last resort, if you refuse replacement. You will be responsible for return shipping either way (~$40), you will not get your original shipping refunded, and they will take off about 20% in "restocking" fees from the original purchase price. Also, in my case the refund was through Paypal who took another $10 in fees off. All in all, I got about 50% of my total investment back, and my unit was actually defective (GPS card slot failed after 2 days, unit stopped ejecting discs)
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 AM

Yep, their return/refund policy is really bad. I read that they had a "2 year warranty" when I bought it, but once you read the fine print you find it's not a real warranty. I have notified them within the first 7 days about the issue with the clock, so according to their policy they need to address it. Of course they don't believe me, and want me to send them a video of it. I have taken the video, but have not uploaded or sent it yet. However, I have since seen the exact same thing on several youtube videos, so this is a know problem, yet they think I'm making it up. Thanks for the info, at least I know my worst case scenario.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i (e39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac635 View Post
I was really excited to get my new Eonon car stereo on Monday. I was tired of the stock radio with bad sound and no Ipod connection. I looked at everything out there, but non of them looked right in the car. The overall appearance of the unit sold me on it. Kudos to the design team.

My joy quickly changed to frustration as I started to install it. No installation instructions. Really??? When I had a question for support they told me it's plug and play. This product was designed to fit an e39, and what the team at Eonon does not seem to understand is that it's one thing to know what the function of a wire is on the head unit (that's half of the equation), and another to know which wire on the car needs to connect to it. Also some tips on how to remove the old stereo cage and door would have been helpful.

Pros:

Super fast shipping. I'm on the west coast, but I ordered it on a Thursday, and it was delivered on Monday (direct ship from Hong Kong).

It looks great!

The Navigation seems to work pretty well. A few things could be correct in the UI, but it's acceptable.

The speakers and steering wheel controls were actually plug an play. One connection got that hooked up without having to cut any wires.

Bluetooth works, but you have to hit the sync button each time you get in the car. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and will keep this the "pro" category.

The cons:

After I installed it the lights did not light up. After searching for about half an hour I found a post where the guy took a picture of the wire from the car that needs to connect to the red wire on the head unit (sorry I don't have the link, maybe I'll edit the post later). If there was an installation manual, this would have taken 2 min. At least this problem is solved.

Next issue was the radio. There are 2 antenna cables that go into the back of the stock unit. One standard coax with the BMW/VW type connector, and the other one is a small one that I have never seen before. The adapter that came with the head unit had a connection to the small one. I also had an adapter for the other type of connector. Hooking up either one, with or without power made no difference in my reception. Reception in this car was never great (like most German cars), but at least it was clear. If I hit scan in my garage I cannot get a single station to connect. So I have no usable radio.

My clock doesn't work correctly. It randomly jumps ahead in time. If I go from the radio screen to the nav screen they sometimes show different times. Eventually they both jump forward in time about 6 hours, but at least the minutes are always correct.

I have not attempted to install the backup camera yet. I took several communications with Eonon to get some instructions on how it's supposed to connect. I'm still trying to figure out how to connect it to my "reverse gear". Yeah, thanks for the tip, I like hooking up wires to gears, that usually works really well.

Summary:

I have probably installed 15 stereos, maybe more, and never have I had any issues even close to this. Installation would have gone much better with documentation.

So today I'm completely burnt out, I probably have at least 8 hours into this thing over the last 3 days (includes hands on and web searches). The radio is unusable, and I really like having a radio. I also like having a clock, is that too much to ask? I even tried an aftermarket antenna and that wasn't any better.

I might be sending this thing back and going with a goofy looking Alpine or Kenwood or something. If I could get the radio to work I'd keep it. So close.....
DMAC -

I have been doing lots of research and reading reviews on OEM Style aftermarket head units - After reading multiple reviews and sites and research on pricing and capabilities, I think I am deciding to go with the Andrive Unit
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
Man that sucks.

I can't say enough how bad i want to buy this unit because it looks so OEM, but the problem are beyond tolerable for ANY company to believe their product is good given the problems this thing has been giving. I cant believe they aren't in court for this.

I seriously wish dyinavin would buy the rights to the design and put their software team in charge of this unit. I'd seriously drop double what this company wants.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

For Sale:
1 E39 OEM USED M Front Right Fender Liner & M5 Trunk Lip (472) [Click]
1 E39 OEM 15mm Rear Sway Bar $65 Shipped [Click]

Old 01-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
Try setting the radio to USA region and the clock should be fine. I had a similar issue when my radio region was set to Europe with RDS. If I recall correctly you also need to turn off clock synchronization with gps (unless you have igo promo) and also set the car clock on.

Bought the unit in July last year and never had clock issues since. So far my complaints are poor radio reception for stations with weak signals, and Bluetooth music off my phone does not show song details although it autoconnects everytime I enter the car. Otherwise I love the unit.

Last edited by musa; 01-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to scott740il
Mein Auto: 1999 540iT Wagon
order the antenna adapater from sonic electronics, it's like $5. and put the iGo map software on it. my clock doesn't keep good time either, but with the iGo screen on, it displays the clock in the lower right
corner and it works. This unit was a steal for $400 cuz it looks da bomb.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Marcos

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
That was another issue on the model I had (briefly). RDS was not available in the USA region.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Thanks for all of the comments.

@JC833 - That looks like a pretty nice option.

@Dking078 - They are not in court because they sell the product from Hong Kong, and are not subject to US laws. If they got a company, or person, in the US to represent their product, create installation documentation, and handle customer support issues, I bet their sales would increase 5X. Most of the issues that you see on line are issues with the company, not the product, or a very simple issue with the product that could easily be solved. Overall I don't think the failure rate of the hardware is any different from other electronics. I'd be shocked if they are not using the same production lines as other mainstream products. I've been to China, been to Hong Kong, and I know what the mfg environment and business climate is like.

@Musa - you might have solved my clock issue. I did have auto update on for the GPS. I took one drive today and it worked the whole time, maybe that will take care of it. I had already switched to USA from Europe RDS.

I picked up an aftermarket antenna, it's the kind that a lot of people use on their custom cars. I can be placed on the windshield, or even inside the car. So far it's working better than anything else I've tried, I can even get AM stations. Slight movements of any of the other wiring, like the wire that goes to the GPS antenna, the iPod cable etc. can all affect the FM signal. I'm going to try to separate that wiring and get the FM signal optimized. Since it looks like I have a solution to the FM issue, I'll hang on to the unit.

My last item that I have yet to tackle is the backup camera. I might put that on hold since I'm sick of working on this. I the mean time I'll keep looking for that backup gear to attach the wire to.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i (e39)
Quote:

@JC833 - That looks like a pretty nice option.
Yea - couple of cool things I like a lot:

1) Two modes - one BM01 (for raido, standard bluetooth, etc) and then the android OS mode (Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich)
2) Good Voltage - Operating Voltage: 10.8V - 15.8V
3) UK Support vs Hong Kong
4) 4x50 RMS
5) Connects to WiFi Hotspots for full internet capability
a) in Android mode, its like having a tablet in the car connected to the internet
6) Can download apps (i.e. Torque) that can read basic OBDII codes
7) I love the reverse camera kit - it is a fixture that replaces the trunk lid handle:

Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc8333 View Post
Yea - couple of cool things I like a lot:

1) Two modes - one BM01 (for raido, standard bluetooth, etc) and then the android OS mode (Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich)
2) Good Voltage - Operating Voltage: 10.8V - 15.8V
3) UK Support vs Hong Kong
4) 4x50 RMS
5) Connects to WiFi Hotspots for full internet capability
a) in Android mode, its like having a tablet in the car connected to the internet
6) Can download apps (i.e. Torque) that can read basic OBDII codes
7) I love the reverse camera kit - it is a fixture that replaces the trunk lid handle:

The reverse camera kit is awesome! How many wires does this kit require to run off the back of the camera to the headunit?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:

Pros:

It looks great!

The cons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Try setting the radio to USA region and the clock should be fine. I had a similar issue when my radio region was set to Europe with RDS. If I recall correctly you also need to turn off clock synchronization with gps (unless you have igo promo) and also set the car clock on.

Bought the unit in July last year and never had clock issues since. So far my complaints are poor radio reception for stations with weak signals, and Bluetooth music off my phone does not show song details although it autoconnects everytime I enter the car. Otherwise I love the unit.
Quote:

@Musa - you might have solved my clock issue. I did have auto update on for the GPS. I took one drive today and it worked the whole time, maybe that will take care of it. I had already switched to USA from Europe RDS.

I picked up an aftermarket antenna, it's the kind that a lot of people use on their custom cars. I can be placed on the windshield, or even inside the car. So far it's working better than anything else I've tried, I can even get AM stations. Slight movements of any of the other wiring, like the wire that goes to the GPS antenna, the iPod cable etc. can all affect the FM signal. I'm going to try to separate that wiring and get the FM signal optimized. Since it looks like I have a solution to the FM issue, I'll hang on to the unit.

My last item that I have yet to tackle is the backup camera. I might put that on hold since I'm sick of working on this. I the mean time I'll keep looking for that backup gear to attach the wire to.
Hi dmac635, first, happy to hear that Musa has helped you to solve the clock issue.

Second, about the radio function, the unit has 13# ANT & 23# AUTO ANT cable, if your car has a radio antenna booster, you can connect it to either 13# ANT or 23# AUTO ANT cable, it will make the unit get stronger radio signal. If you have double radio antenna booster, then you connect them to both 2 cables together. If you donít have it, then just leave these 2 cables alone. Thanks!

Third, you can connect your A0118 camera to D5124F like this way:

Connect the VIDEO OUT of A0118 to BACK SIGHT VIDEO IN of D5124F,
connect the power cable of A0118 to the power of reversing light of your car,
and connect the reversing wire of D5124F to your reversing gear in your car.
Then it will be changed to the reverse model automatically when you reverse.

Kindly have a try now and if you need further help, please feel free to contact me. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530
@ DMAC 635, I had the same issue with the clock and was never able to fix it. Did all the changes suggested above but it never worked correctly. Normally it was one hour ahead of time, but varied as much as 6 hours. Ive had three units from Eonon in less than 8 months and none of them have worked as they should. Since I had so many issues they helped with the shipping on the first two. I spent $20 to ship the first, $40 on the second and so far they want me to pay the complete bill (about $180)if it goes back again, which it needs too. I totally agree with you on the looks of the unit, it couldn't be much better. And all the features are there, if they would just work as they should it would be awesome. Ive got plenty of experience with this unit so if you have any questions let me know.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 AM

Hi Oldone, The change that I made on the GPS setting took care of the clock issue. Have you tried making those changes? The 2 remaining issues that I have are:

1) I haven't completed my rear-view camera installation, but it would be nice to know exactly which wire to connect to the head unit (something in the area of the gearshift) when I work on it again.
2) The radio reception is horrible, and I didn't get the correct adapter for my car. Any advice on a successful antenna connection would be helpful. I used an adapter from my old Passat, verified that I had power at the amplifier, but it was basically useless. I'm using an aftermarket antenna with marginal results right now.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Angry Eonon

I had made the change to the GPS setting for the clock, but I will have to verify that it is set on USA versus Europe.

The only wires to connect at the back of the stereo is the camera RCA going to the camera in the trunk, and the power wire labeled "camera". All the other connections are in the trunk area. You will need to pull 12v power for the camera with one connector. and then you will need to tap into the backup lights in the rear to send a signal to the receiver power wire. Its usually pretty self explanatory once you get into it, just follow the directions that came with the camera.

I used the adapters that came with the stereo and my reception was ok, not great but ok. Need to somehow get your hands on the correct adapter, maybe thru eonon. Its not as good as factory reception but its passable.

I had a lot of problems with these stereos (im on my third one in about 8 months) so ive since removed the stereo and installed a Dynavin unit. I still have the eonon but its out of the car right now.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldone View Post
I had made the change to the GPS setting for the clock, but I will have to verify that it is set on USA versus Europe.

The only wires to connect at the back of the stereo is the camera RCA going to the camera in the trunk, and the power wire labeled "camera". All the other connections are in the trunk area. You will need to pull 12v power for the camera with one connector. and then you will need to tap into the backup lights in the rear to send a signal to the receiver power wire. Its usually pretty self explanatory once you get into it, just follow the directions that came with the camera.

I used the adapters that came with the stereo and my reception was ok, not great but ok. Need to somehow get your hands on the correct adapter, maybe thru eonon. Its not as good as factory reception but its passable.

I had a lot of problems with these stereos (im on my third one in about 8 months) so ive since removed the stereo and installed a Dynavin unit. I still have the eonon but its out of the car right now.
Hi oldone, sorry that your eonon unit doesn't work well. Could you please PM me your email address and the order number? So that i can help you better, thanks a lot!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM

stereo help

PM sent.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2014, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Thank you for posting a detailed review OP. It helps a lot.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldone View Post
PM sent.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, i have replied you, please have a check, thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM

My display is all messed up now, and I contacted Eonon on Monday about getting a replacement. They responded on Tuesday, I asked a follow up question during their business hours and I have not heard a response yet (it's Thursday night now). Unreal how unresponsive they are, although they seem to respond on this forum.

One other thing I discovered related to the issues with the antenna, when I had the stereo back out on Monday, I noticed that the antenna cord seems to have an intermittent connection. So the hours I spent searching for an answer on my antenna, was not an issue with my car, it was an issue with the stereo.

Due to the display, I have to get a replacement. It will cost me $40 to do that, and it looks like I will be staring at a big hole in my dashboard for a week or two while they replace or repair it. Any real electronics company sends a replacement, then you return your item in the packaging with an RMA @#.

Hey guys at Eonon. Please respond to my emails. We can talk about this stuff on the public message board, but it seems like it would be in your interest to keep the conversation private. Any customer email should be answered within 24 hours, there is no excuse for letting it go longer.

Last edited by dmac635; 02-20-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Past Sponsor

Quote:
My display is all messed up now, and I contacted Eonon on Monday about getting a replacement. They responded on Tuesday, I asked a follow up question during their business hours and I have not heard a response yet (it's Thursday night now). Unreal how unresponsive they are, although they seem to respond on this forum.

One other thing I discovered related to the issues with the antenna, when I had the stereo back out on Monday, I noticed that the antenna cord seems to have an intermittent connection. So the hours I spent searching for an answer on my antenna, was not an issue with my car, it was an issue with the stereo.

Due to the display, I have to get a replacement. It will cost me $40 to do that, and it looks like I will be staring at a big hole in my dashboard for a week or two while they replace or repair it. Any real electronics company sends a replacement, then you return your item in the packaging with an RMA @#.

Hey guys at Eonon. Please respond to my emails. We can talk about this stuff on the public message board, but it seems like it would be in your interest to keep the conversation private. Any customer email should be answered within 24 hours, there is no excuse for letting it go longer.
Hi dmac635, please do not worry, i will try my best to help you.
Could you please PM me your email address and the item number first? So that i can help you better, thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
so glad i didnt jump on that band wangon... seemed bad right from the start..

when you have a solid product.. you dont have to do group buys/sells.. your product sells it self..
No group gimic value nonsence..

On the other hand.. you could have just used a media Bridge..
They work really well and you dont have to hack your car apart to install them... Something that is made to work with BMW's DSP
Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 PM

Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by EononCarDVD View Post
Hi Jeff, i have replied you, please have a check, thanks!
I got the reply from you. Now I need a reply from whatever party is going to try and help sort this issue.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I would like to report about my experience with Eonon here:

I have purchased D5124F from their distributor several weeks ago. There was a problem with the dual zone function, when navigation stopped every time after receiving a phone call and the unit had to be restarted.
The distributor suggested resetting the unit and upgrading the firmware. He has sent me NWD_703 firmware and the unit became frozen after one minute at 62% progress installing the images. I have tried it several time and every time the installations stalls at 62%.

As a result, the unit is completely useless now, it shows only BMW symbol and the screen goes grey.

Not a very satisfying experience with this brand.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EononCarDVD View Post
Hi dmac635, please do not worry, i will try my best to help you.
Could you please PM me your email address and the item number first? So that i can help you better, thanks!
I appreciate your offer to help, but I replied to you over the weekend and have heard nothing back. Please respond.