Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 540iA, 2001 540i/6
Eonon D5124F - recommended budget stereo

In spite of some of the poor reviews around here, I went ahead and bought a Eon0n D5124F and installed it this weekend. So far, it is working without any issues and I would recommend this as an option for a budget E39 stereo install. I understand others have had issues and encourage people to read up and know what you might be getting into.

I had replaced my front speakers with 6.5 inch components earlier. I was running them without crossovers, using the DSP amp. I plan to add amps and a sub later, and will run additional wiring then.

If you are willing to commit, this can be a fairly straightforward install. I didn't want to mess with the lower dashboard/glovebox to remove the radio bracket, so I broke it and took it out in pieces. I ordered a Metra antenna adapter, but other than that and the speakers/crossovers, everything I needed was in the box. It's pretty straightforward to connect the harness and adapters together, connect some extra wires and install the radio.

I used the well-documented wiring (thanks again Douglas Baker on the M5 board) for a speaker-level L/R pair from the radio to the trunk. With DSP, there is only a front L/R pair pre-wired - no rear. I also found the Eon0n wiring swapped the front and rear Left channel, so I switched the wires around in their harness. In the trunk, I cut the wires from the connectors and moved them to my crossovers and then used the existing speaker wires to run back up to the tweeters and woofers in the front doors.

It's a fairly OEM looking setup, retaining steering wheel controls, with a full set of modern features. FM reception is as good as the OEM unit. For the money, it's a homerun and worth a little risk. If it dies or I find showstopper issues, I'll let you know, but otherwise, I recommend this for a budget E39 stereo solution.

Jim

Last edited by jburnham; 01-12-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Video and/or pix?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburnham View Post
In spite of some of the poor reviews around here, I went ahead and bought a Eon0n D5124F and installed it this weekend. So far, it is working without any issues and I would recommend this as an option for a budget E39 stereo install. I understand others have had issues and encourage people to read up and know what you might be getting into.

I had replaced my front speakers with 6.5 inch components earlier. I was running them without crossovers, using the DSP amp. I plan to add amps and a sub later, and will run additional wiring then.

If you are willing to commit, this can be a fairly straightforward install. I didn't want to mess with the lower dashboard/glovebox to remove the radio bracket, so I broke it and took it out in pieces. I ordered a Metra antenna adapter, but other than that and the speakers/crossovers, everything I needed was in the box. It's pretty straightforward to connect the harness and adapters together, connect some extra wires and install the radio.

I used the well-documented wiring (thanks again Douglas Baker on the M5 board) for a speaker-level L/R pair from the radio to the trunk. With DSP, there is only a front L/R pair pre-wired - no rear. I also found the Eon0n wiring swapped the front and rear Left channel, so I switched the wires around in their harness. In the trunk, I cut the wires from the connectors and moved them to my crossovers and then used the existing speaker wires to run back up to the tweeters and woofers in the front doors.

It's a fairly OEM looking setup, retaining steering wheel controls, with a full set of modern features. FM reception is as good as the OEM unit. For the money, it's a homerun and worth a little risk. If it dies or I find showstopper issues, I'll let you know, but otherwise, I recommend this for a budget E39 stereo solution.

Jim
Hi jburnham, thanks for your support! You have made a correct decision. Who has his own opinions and not drift with the current can always get his benefits!

Welcome to share more installation pics and give other more details.

And please remember, Eonon are not just good for the perfect factory look, steady quality, but also good after sale service, if you bought from eonon.com, you could even have 2 year warranty. Feel free to contact me if you need any help in the future.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 AM

iGo Primo 2.4 installed and working 95% (can't preview alternate routes). I need to clean up the wiring and properly mount my crossovers. Eventually, I'll run RCAs from HU to trunk and install a pair of Zapco amps and a subwoofer.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Jburnham,

Good luck in that it actually continues to work - it sounds as though you actually got a fully functional unit

Zapco are well known to be a very high quality brand. They have legendary status amongst car audio enthusiasts and everything about them is top flight. To use those with a low quality, poorly made unit and brand would be viewed as a mismatch or a real waste as the Zapco's are capable of audio finesse Eonon currently can never provide. It's a bit like saying you have an absolutely pristine E39 M5 in a sought after combination and low miles that's been maintained regardless of cost, and then you wish to run it with 16 inch wheels or low/budget quality tyres - yes it'll work, but not very well nor anywhere near its true potential.

Ultimately it is your choice of course, the Zapco's are awesome and you'll not regret having them at all, however depending on how much you love your audio you may find you'd wish to upgrade your head unit to one that offers significantly higher sound quality in order to get a level of performance that the Zapco's are much better suited to.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 09 Cayenne GTS,03 540i M
I have mine installed for about a month and it has been pretty good. No real issues that warrant it being pulled. Some minor issues I've found: Radio reception is sub par. Every station is staticy. Some more than others. I'm in NYC, so reception to local stations should be great. They are in my OEM radio in my Cayenne. Bluetooth volume is lower than CD, SD card, etc. Kind of stinks when you want to stream Pandora or something from your phone. SD and CD sound fuller because of this. Still not a deal breaker for me. The time doesn't always stay. It can be fine for days. But if I don't use the car for a week or so, the time is all wrong again. Lastly, there is some noise generated by the head unit. If you know what THD is, I believe this is just a noisy unit. Once the sound is high enough, you don't hear it as much. But if you are listening at lower levels, you will definitely hear it. Once you mute or manually zero out the volume, noise goes away. I'm running all JL components, subs, and amp. So I do not believe they are generating the noise. They all worked without noise prior to the head unit swap.

So the unit isn't perfect. But for $400 the "issues" aren't deal breakers TO ME at this point. I prefer the OEM styling more than the issues it has for now. If I change my mind, I will swap for a more main stream brand, but then I'll lose the look I'm going for. Hope this helps you or others considering this unit.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
iGo Primo 2.4 installed and working 95% (can't preview alternate routes). I need to clean up the wiring and properly mount my crossovers. Eventually, I'll run RCAs from HU to trunk and install a pair of Zapco amps and a subwoofer.
I installed and tested Igo Primo. All is working well with the base map provided in the initial install files. Where can I get the map for US? I went to the link provided in the set up notes. But it seems as though it is down:

http://www.navitotal.com/forumdispla...ldings-dem-POI

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by joeyvaz; 01-19-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
I installed and tested Igo Primo. All is working well with the base map provided in the initial install files. Where can I get the map for US? I went to the link provided in the set up notes. But it seems as though it is down:

http://www.navitotal.com/forumdispla...ldings-dem-POI

Thanks,
Joe
I downloaded a complete iGo Primo install including US Maps. I didn't save the link, but it wasn't too hard to find. Navitotal has been down since I started this thread, so...

I'm starting to notice an issue with FM tuning as well. It picks up all of the same stations as the OEM, but it doesn't seem to lock on the station or reject adjacent signals properly. I wonder if the oem antenna amp is too strong?

Last edited by jburnham; 01-20-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I downloaded a complete iGo Primo install including US Maps. I didn't save the link, but it wasn't too hard to find. Navitotal has been down since I started this thread, so...
I've been searching all weekend even on the torrent sites. I can't seem to find any of the US maps, skins, or extras. Would you be willing to share the files you have? I have an FTP site that we can use. I'd also share it from there with others that need it. Let me know via PM and I can give you the site and log in credentials. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM

PM'd - anyone else can search for:

iGO R3 Navteq North America 2012.Q4 Full.rar

iGo-Primo 2.4-9.6.13 Complete

and if you find something better/newer, please start a thread so we can all keep our Eonon's updated.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 AM

thanks again. Already downloaded and playing with it. Much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Can't stress enough how much better this nav app is vs Sygix!! I can now move between any source and the Igo Primo. With Sygix, it would always hang and not go back to the nav when I went to another source. All the options in Igo move VERY quickly between screens. Exponentially better than Sygix. If anyone needs assistance installing, let me know. It's a bit daunting at first, but there is a text file in the files you download. Follow that and you will be up and running in no time.

I wish the website was back up. I'd love to download some skins and other extras. Hopefully they will be back up soon.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
Can't stress enough how much better this nav app is vs Sygix!! I can now move between any source and the Igo Primo. With Sygix, it would always hang and not go back to the nav when I went to another source. All the options in Igo move VERY quickly between screens. Exponentially better than Sygix. If anyone needs assistance installing, let me know. It's a bit daunting at first, but there is a text file in the files you download. Follow that and you will be up and running in no time.

I wish the website was back up. I'd love to download some skins and other extras. Hopefully they will be back up soon.
Hi joeyvaz, good news to hear that you have made the iGo maps work great on your D5124F unit. Could you share with us your detailed installation tips here? So that it can help a lot of guys here.

Your great help will be very appreciated, thanks a lot in advance! Cheers!