Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, a similar thread was opened today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Uneven tire wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw530ii View Post
Hey everybody. Today I was looking at my tires and noticed that my inner rear tires are wearing out unevenly. What's going on? The front tires are good.

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the related record, an interesting thread, with good details, was opened today, by Fudman:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Should I Attempt a Rear Alignment DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Just got new "shoes" for my car (Conti DWS). As part of the installation package, they gave me a front alignment (Hunter) and measured the back. My rear camber is a bit out of spec at -2.3 L & -2.4 R deg. Bentley's says -2.0 deg and the Hunter spec calls for -2.0 to -2.2 deg. However, my toe is worse at -0.20 L and 0.25 R. Bentley's says total toe is 22' +/-4' and Hunter spec calls for 0.15 - 0.22 deg.

I can bring it back and have them adjust the rear for $50 or I can DIY for free. Normally, I would never consider doing an alignment. However, I'm thinking about adjusting the rear toe myself and possibly reducing the rear camber to 1 deg (I don't really need the improvements to handling). While my alignment "tools" clearly lack the precision of a Hunter, my concerns about a DIY alignment are considerably less now that the car is older. I do have a few questions: Will making adjustments to the rear axle affect the front axle settings? Am I being penny wise and pound foolish (some might say cheapskate), since the tires cost $600 for the set?
See also the recent related thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Yet another...Front Wheel Alignment..Thread..with a possible solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post
this guy over on the M5 forum seems to have come up with a hackjob method of adjusting front camber without having to buy a camber correction kit.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ut-plates.html

Having just installed my third set of front tires due to really bad inner tire wear in roughly 4 years, I'm open to trying just about anything and reaming out the strut holes to make the camber adjustment seems viable.
I should point out that I did do a semi complete front suspension overhaul a couple years ago, but that I am riding on coilovers and no, I don't wish to switch back to stock ride height on stock struts as a solution.
An interesting corollary here is I did the alignment front and rear myself and the rear tires are wearing perfectly and show no signs of wearing out at least for another year or so. The nice thing about the rear suspension on these cars is that they do provide an eccentric bolt to adjust camber.

Thoughts?
If I were to do this what I am currently experiencing is really bad inner tire wear (front tires only) which I assume is attributable to a combination of toe and negative camber.
Which way should the top strut holes be reamed to introduce more positive camber, say at least 1 degree if not more? I assume these holes should be reamed towards the outer fenders and not towards the engine.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 03-27-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Change the rear ball joints, then do an alignment and ask to have the wheels as straight as possible.
In 8 years of ownership I'm on my 2nd set of EVENLY worn tires. This 2nd set is at 85-90% for both winters & summers. BTW, you should check if the rear control arms and bushings (and sway bars) are still OK, but if the car wasn't abused on bad roads, those should last quite a while as opposed to the front counterparts.
This is the simplest answer for rear worn tires inwardly. And it works.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby