Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540/6 2014 328xdT
So thats what blew my CV and Diff seal, it was the altitude! Now I'm digging it in my Holiday Express room
Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 96 M3 / 99 K1200RS
Interesting read. I live in the high desert (above 4k feet) and my 97 328i has pretty good power at lower speeds (up to 50 mph).

I recently did a trip to the California bay area.
Below 2k feet elevation it felt like it added another 40 HP especially on the crazy freeways down there where 80+ mph speeds are common.
The car pulled hard all the way past the triple digits mph range. I was surprised. Once I got back home I was disappointed to lose so much performance due to the elevation increase.

Is there any work around to have the ECU/DME reprogrammed/mapped for better performance at higher elevations?
Or am I pretty much stuck with the dismal performance because of the thinner air?

From reading, unfortunately the later seems the case

Last edited by Bimmerman4ever; 03-03-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman4ever View Post
Interesting read. I live in the high desert (above 4k feet) and my 97 328i has pretty good power at lower speeds (up to 50 mph).

I recently did a trip to the California bay area.
Below 2k feet elevation it felt like it added another 40 HP especially on the crazy freeways down there where 80+ mph speeds are common.
The car pulled hard all the way past the triple digits mph range. I was surprised. Once I got back home I was disappointed to lose so much performance due to the elevation increase.

Is there any work around to have the ECU/DME reprogrammed/mapped for better performance at higher elevations?
Or am I pretty much stuck with the dismal performance because of the thinner air?

From reading, unfortunately the later seems the case

You need more oxygen in the engine. The only way would be go to FI.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
You need more oxygen in the engine. The only way would be go to FI.
"FI", you mean changing the fuel injector size or something else?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM
****ie

Mein Auto: 540i
FI= forced induction; ie- turbo or supercharger.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioGuy View Post
FI= forced induction; ie- turbo or supercharger.
OK
Yes I've considered going with a SC. Just have to see what deals are out there.

I'm working on a Porsche 968 for a customer, brakes, HU, dynamat, etc..
when I'm done with it he's getting a SC installed in southern Cal'

It's a 3.0 liter 4 banger with a 6 speed manual
236Hp rated
Not bad the way it is now, but with a SC that would be great
Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
A question was asked about learning today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 ECU "Learning"??
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAltitude View Post
Here's one for the BMW experts! I've been told that the 97/98 540i ECU has some kind of learning function in it to develop trim values for fuel. Over time, it will continue to refine these values. A reset can be done to clear them and start the process over. This was referred to as "adaptation" by someone on an older post on this forum, as well.

So, what's the deal? Does this ECU actually do that? And if it does, why? Any closed loop system with O2 sensors will continuously adjust the air-fuel ratio so I'm not sure i see the need for trim values.

That said, do all BMW models have this style of fuel control, or only certain models? I noticed on the later E39 models they went to one O2 (either before of after the Cat) instead on 2 (one before, one after the Cat). I wonder if that signifies a different control strategy.

Thanks for any intel!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need