Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksquad View Post
Getting mine back Monday for same problems + eccentric shaft replacements and inspection. It'll be at the Indy about a month (-1 week for the holidays) so pretty expensive and lengthy repairs. I'll just be happy to have her back. Sa called and they fired her up and she's purring like a kitten now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Eccentric shafts?How much were the parts?Ive seen these need to be ordered direct from BMW?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
You might want to check with AutoPom for a quote on a Extended Warranty. They seem to get good reviews. Repairs can be quite expensive a BMW, they like attention!
Would they cover the oil leaks? I heard that they would deny that as that would be wear & tear. I got a quote from another warranty place, no inspection for $2600. I am just afraid to pay that & have them not payoff claims. I learned a hard lesson with pet insurance for my doxies. Had 2 with back surgeries. Bought insurance for new doxie, didn't pay claim when she needed surgery after jumping off the bed. I just don't trust insurance companies.

Maybellineo
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davegsu View Post
Just to properly close out this thread:

Got the car back and the re-seal was a success no more rough idle. Apparently the oil leaks were so bad it was allowing unmetered air at the gaskets. Purring like a kitten now.

Hey Dave:

If I asked my mechanic if I needed a reseal, he would know what I am talking about? I have the bad oil leaks too. They had the left side taken care of & thought they had the right side, but put everything back & ran the car & the right was still leaking. They found they needed another part $400, from BMW & that will hopefully solve the problem. They are saying most of these parts are plastic, imagine that, & go bad very easily.

Maybellineo
Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
Yeah he would. I had leaks at the valve cover, alternator bracket, & timing cover. The leaks were allowing unmetered air to create the rough idle. Another potential problem with this engine can be the eccentric shaft. Your mechanic will know if it's worn when he opens the engine up. At your mileage like mine it should still be within spec. Hopefully.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Just and update. Like Dave, I just got my 6 back b/c of multiple gasket failures and a bad eccentric shaft that lead to rough idle. autopom did cover almost everything. was a 7+k job. they do not cover the taxes so that was still expensive (8% in Phila). of course I know i shouldn't be complaining compared to what the bill what have been. I will be calling my autopom rep and sending him/her a fruit basket.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksquad View Post
Just and update. Like Dave, I just got my 6 back b/c of multiple gasket failures and a bad eccentric shaft that lead to rough idle. autopom did cover almost everything. was a 7+k job. they do not cover the taxes so that was still expensive (8% in Phila). of course I know i shouldn't be complaining compared to what the bill what have been. I will be calling my autopom rep and sending him/her a fruit basket.
Hey Crack: I am so glad you wrote this post. I am thinking of getting the extended warranty from Autopom. In the last three 3months I have paid for a new battery, new alternator, & for valve covers etc. Over $3000 dollars. I have a 2005 645 with $64,000. Since My extended warranty ran out I have paid thousands of dollars to a shady dealership, the only one in New Orleans. I hesitated to get the warranty because I have purchased pet insurance & they would never pay off legitimate claims. I figured after market extended warranty would be just the same. would you mind telling me what type of policy you got, I know they have about 4 of them, & have they given you any trouble paying off claims?

Maybellineo
Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
[QUOTE=maybellineo;8089394]Hey Crack: I am so glad you wrote this post. I am thinking of getting the extended warranty from Autopom. In the last three 3months I have paid for a new battery, new alternator, & for valve covers etc. Over $3000 dollars. I have a 2005 645 with $64,000. Since My extended warranty ran out I have paid thousands of dollars to a shady dealership, the only one in New Orleans. I hesitated to get the warranty because I have purchased pet insurance & they would never pay off legitimate claims. I figured after market extended warranty would be just the same. would you mind telling me what type of policy you got, I know they have about 4 of them, & have they given you any trouble paying off claims?

Dear maybellineo. I have nothing but good things to say about autopom. i purchased thier platinum warranty for 4 yrs, about 2 yrs go. I also chose the electronics coverage and 0 copay options. I have had 2 claims in the 2 yrs, 1st one small one (windshield washer pump failed) which was approved and fixed same day. 2nd was the large claim that i explained in this thread. i have a 04 645Ci with 73k just for reference. Let me know if you have any questions. I called when i applied for my quote fyi, the representative was very helpful and had an installment plan without interested that also really helped. let me know if you have anymore questions and if you want to put my name in for referal pm me. hope this helps, I know we all love our cars.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Wilma

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Road, 650i, 328xd
I've heard that as the transmission wears, typically over 50K miles. it starts to have a very uniformed vibration. My 2008 has 70K, and has this very minor vibration...I know its the transmission as when I take it out of drive and put it into neutral, the vibration goes away...Have you done this test?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewoolley View Post
I too have same issues. I really want to buy a code reader is there one that is user friendly? Or one easy to learn. I've done everything but replace thermostat is that a difficult task?
i bought the dis,inpa sss,progman with obd2 cable on ebay for $49.00 and it works awsome
its worth the money
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDKIK View Post
I've heard that as the transmission wears, typically over 50K miles. it starts to have a very uniformed vibration. My 2008 has 70K, and has this very minor vibration...I know its the transmission as when I take it out of drive and put it into neutral, the vibration goes away...Have you done this test?
Your also lessening the load on the engine in neutral.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrex View Post
i bought the dis,inpa sss,progman with obd2 cable on ebay for $49.00 and it works awsome
its worth the money

You got a Link?????