Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Spiking temp / "engine overheating"

My temp gauge is randomly spiking up and down after driving for about 10min. Then it tells me that the engine is over-heating but then shortly after, the temp gauge goes back down to "normal". I thought that it was maybe air in my coolant but it doesn't seem so. Did anyone have the same or similar issue? Any suggestions?
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
You might want to check to see if your cooling fan is working when the car runs hot. The cooling fan has 4 speeds, & can fail when the engine runs hot. The engine will not usually will not run hot, as long as the car is moving. You need to also inspect your expansion tank to see if it has already sprung a leak from the heat. It will most likely crack after running the engine hot.

If the cooling fan works when 1st cranked, verify that it is running when the engine starts running hot. The coolant gauge on the cluster reads out oil temp, not water temp. But it is a good chance when the temp spikes up, that temp will also rise. If your cooling fan is running when hot, start inspecting the expansion tank next!

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Your thermostat may also be kaput. A fried engine is very expensive and BMW engines do not take to running at high temps for more than a minute well at all. If it were my car I would not take chances: If I had the confidence to troubleshoot I would park the car and take care of the problem before driving it again. If not, I would get it flat bedded to my repair shop ASAP.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
These cars do not have a water temperature gauge !!!! The gauge on the dash is an oil temp gauge !!!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 AM

Mein Auto: e39 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
These cars do not have a water temperature gauge !!!! The gauge on the dash is an oil temp gauge !!!!!!!
+1. Amazing how people fail to notice the little oil can on the cluster :-p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil-temp.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	396134  
Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Convertible
Not sure where the oil temp is measured, but I find it hard to believe the actual temp would jump that drastically that quickly. There's a lot of "stuff" that needs to change temperature and it takes time to do that, at least that is what I remember from college thermo. I would check the sensor train. If the car is moving forward, a nonop fan shouldn't cause that kind of temp rise that quickly and then why would it drop just as quickly?

Freedom Isn't Free
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBosworth View Post
Not sure where the oil temp is measured, but I find it hard to believe the actual temp would jump that drastically that quickly. There's a lot of "stuff" that needs to change temperature and it takes time to do that, at least that is what I remember from college thermo. I would check the sensor train. If the car is moving forward, a nonop fan shouldn't cause that kind of temp rise that quickly and then why would it drop just as quickly?
A non-operating fan will not cause the engine to overheat, as long as the car is moving. The engine will run hot, as soon as you stop! This would explain his erratic engine temp. If you notice, he is a new member. Most new members find their way on to the forums, when they have a problem. It is not surprising that he has not responded to everyone's help?

A sensor & thermostat could also play a factor, with his problem?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Convertible
HerbP, do you know where the oil temp sensor is located? I found a 'temp sensor water/oil' on the water pump in the parts diagram, does that make sense? I don't see oil going through there though. The thermostat also has a plug for a sensor in it as well. I assume that is coolant temp info used by the vehicle but not displayed for the operator.

"Temperature sensor water/oil 1 13621433076 $16.27"

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=11&fg=35

Freedom Isn't Free
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM

The oil temp sensor is down near the oil filter!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
The oil temp sensor is part of the oil level sensor. The M6 has the oil temp sensor in the cylinder head but N62 motors take the temp from the level sensor. #6 is the diagram below.

'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 AM
BM6er

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
Also check the small coolant return line which runs along the top of the radiator support. It connects the coolant expansion tank to the radiator, a sort of overflow if you will.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
The oil temp sensor is part of the oil level sensor. The M6 has the oil temp sensor in the cylinder head but N62 motors take the temp from the level sensor. #6 is the diagram below.

Thanks for the diagram Yorgi!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Sorry guys for lack of response. I lost my log in id/password and I was out of the country for the last 3 months. So I did change the thermostat but did not change anything. According to the dealership, expansion tank is not leaking. I did notice slight "sweet" smell inside the car when the car has ben running for a bit. I am having to fill up coolant at least once or twice a month.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 645i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkface View Post
Sorry guys for lack of response. I lost my log in id/password and I was out of the country for the last 3 months. So I did change the thermostat but did not change anything. According to the dealership, expansion tank is not leaking. I did notice slight "sweet" smell inside the car when the car has ben running for a bit. I am having to fill up coolant at least once or twice a month.
BMW Coolant smells "sweet".
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i,
I had this same exact problem and it was the cooling fan. Apparently the fan goes out intermittedly, prior to full failure. I suspect that is what is happening with your car as well. My advice is to change the cooling fan and thermostat at the same time.

Byrdman
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkface View Post
Have you checked under the carpets at the front foot wells???? Could be a leak from the heater??????

Does my bum look good in this !