Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Any recommendations/tips for first time BMW buyer?

Hi guys,

Looking to buy my first BMW (Looking at the 2011 135i) pretty soon. (within the next couple weeks)

Been looking at one from a independent dealership that only sells auctioned leased cars. The dealership has a decent reputation but still got a few negative reviews on problems not being told before they bought the car and etc.

The car: (I'm just copy and pasting and editing, sorry for caps)
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98033&endYear=2015&modelCode1=135I&showcaseOwnerId=579165&startYear=1981&makeCode1=BMW&searchRadius=10&mmt=[BMW[135I[]][]]&listingId=361202699&listingIndex=3&Log=0
2011 BMW 135i Coupe
43,720 Miles (probably closer to 44000 now)
Still within warranty. Still have about 7 months/6000 miles of warranty left

M-SPORT PKG
NAVIGATION
PREMIUM PKG
DOUBLE CLUTCH AUTOMATIC
COMFORT ACCESS
ADPATIVE XENON LIGHTS
HARMON KARDON SOUND
FACTORY ALARM SYSTEM
M-SPORT SUSPENSION
M-SPORT STEERING WHEEL WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS
SATELLITE RADIO
PARK DISTANCE CONTROL
LEATHER SPORT SEATS BLACK WITH RED COMBO
BMW WARRANTY & MAINTENANCE
CLEAN CARFAX ONE OWNER

Went in for a test drive last week and it drives great. But the car has been sitting in the lot for a LONG time. They got it back in like november/december and not much interest has been shown in the car so it hasn't even been started for a while (so I suspect the engine tubing/belts are degraded for a good bit since the weather in seattle lol) Hell. The car didn't even start initially. The engine had to crank for like 5-10 seconds before it started. There's rust spots on the rotors (but the brakes didn't feel anything out of the ordinary)

The carfax is clean (but not that accurate at times so definitely doing a PPI)

Basically planning on walking in and paying with cash. I would ask them if it's ok to take it for a pre-purchase inspection, set-up a appointment for a pre-purchase inspection at a local BMW shop, and then go in talking about pricing for purchase that day.

I looked online for problems and pretty much the only problems I can find is engine/seatbelt rattle, the HPFP (since they apparently didn't change it much from the N54 HPFP and that's basically been recalled/warranty extended)

I was looking at their warranty and it's not too bad. it's around $2600 for 5 years/50k miles and covers everything except the "high tech" which I assume is basically the navigation and radio and stuff. (And $3300 for the "platinum" package which covers everything and rental cars when it's in the shop)

I am gonna offer $25,500-26,000 cash straight up (+ tax) for the car if the PPI came back semi-clean. (around $500-700 of repairs within the next year or two not covered under warranty if not, then i'll make it $25,000 + the warranty)

Any recommendations would be nice. Thanks for reading._a_
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Do not make any assumptions if you plan to buy extended warranty, get detailed list of what's covered and what's not. There are many "high tech" parts that might not be covered by warranty, things DCT, fixed-caliper brakes, adaptive lights (big item and expensive to replace/repair) etc.

Car is fully loaded and has more things that can potentially break (comfort access, memory seats, xenons, PDC). Unfortunately BMW is not very reliable, especially when it comes to electronics. People who tend to keep BMWs for long period tend to go for baser car with only sport package.

All BMWs come with run flat tires and no spare. Run flat tires are very harsh on less-than ideal roads and are more expensive to replace. A lot of people on these forums ditch run flats and go with regular tires.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Hard to tell why some cars sell off quickly while others sit sit sit begging for a buyer. I suspect this heavily optioned 135 is priced and competing with other nice small performance sedans that are 1-2 years newer - perhaps with fewer miles. Without even going to KBB or Edmunds I'd throw a low-ball offer at this one. If it were me, personally, I'd start at $20K and maybe wiggle $500-$1500 from there. The worst they could is say no and you could negotiate up from there. Sorry, but I just don't see a 3+ year old 1 Series as "worth" mid $20s :-(

With the rebranding BMW is doing: 1's becoming 2's ... 3's becoming 4's etc etc my dealer is seeing some reluctance from buyers to grab 1 series off the floor.

As for warranty - you would have some original BMW warranty and service time left - use it and the time this car is covered to shop and evaluate a BMW or aftermarket warranty. They are big profit items for dealers and often not a good deal for consumers. SHOP CAREFULLY .. Buy with caution and read the small print 3 times!

Last item - sometimes these cars were sold off the showroom floor with extended BMW warranty and service contracts. A dealer can tell by checking the VIN if such a contract exists on this car. Check it out!! They will follow the car (unlike the new CPO rules).

If you buy it - enjoy it! 135s are very competent sporty drivers!

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates

Last edited by luigi524td; 01-28-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
That's a good price. When I search for 2011 135i's with mileage in the 20-40k range they're all in the $30-33k range.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Do not make any assumptions if you plan to buy extended warranty, get detailed list of what's covered and what's not. There are many "high tech" parts that might not be covered by warranty, things DCT, fixed-caliper brakes, adaptive lights (big item and expensive to replace/repair) etc.

Car is fully loaded and has more things that can potentially break (comfort access, memory seats, xenons, PDC). Unfortunately BMW is not very reliable, especially when it comes to electronics. People who tend to keep BMWs for long period tend to go for baser car with only sport package.

All BMWs come with run flat tires and no spare. Run flat tires are very harsh on less-than ideal roads and are more expensive to replace. A lot of people on these forums ditch run flats and go with regular tires.
Hmm.... Here's the contract. It seems pretty decent. Most of those things you mentioned are not in the exclusion list (except for the headlights)

I asked them about what company it was through and it was through Enterprise Financial Group. Looked them up on BBB and they have a ton of issues over trying to get out of paying. (100+ cases a year) It seems that if you have a decent mechanic and proper documentation of your service dates and pay attention to your car even remotely (look for leaks and stuff) that you'll be able to get them to pay for it most of the time. (but maybe a month or two after you fix the car)

I was planning on switching them to Michelin Pilot Sports All seasons 3s after the ones already on the car wears out. They've been working pretty damn well on my current car even when I throw it into corners.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 128i
If I understand you correctly you are buying this car from an "independent" dealer i.e. not BMW so it did not pass a CPO criteria, perhaps because of mileage. I would definitely get it checked by a BMW delaership in detail and make sure it has a clean bill of health. Also keep in mind that this car will soon be out of warranty and BMWs are VERY expensive to repair. Use the warranty time to correct everything possible. Mine had a radio display that would lose pixels in summer heat - I had them replace the radio. Also watch for a cracked plastic red break lens in the trunk lid. 1 series is notorious for these cracking because they don't quite fit right and then they allow moisture into the light fixture. I had mine replaced twice before they removed a bur on the trunk lid opening for the light. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
If I understand you correctly you are buying this car from an "independent" dealer i.e. not BMW so it did not pass a CPO criteria, perhaps because of mileage. I would definitely get it checked by a BMW delaership in detail and make sure it has a clean bill of health. Also keep in mind that this car will soon be out of warranty and BMWs are VERY expensive to repair. Use the warranty time to correct everything possible. Mine had a radio display that would lose pixels in summer heat - I had them replace the radio. Also watch for a cracked plastic red break lens in the trunk lid. 1 series is notorious for these cracking because they don't quite fit right and then they allow moisture into the light fixture. I had mine replaced twice before they removed a bur on the trunk lid opening for the light. Good luck!
thanks. i'll definitely look into it.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
How did you get them to replace the radio? usually anything electronic is a hell no.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjames007 View Post
How did you get them to replace the radio? usually anything electronic is a hell no.
I thought the original 4year/50k warranty covered electronics too?