Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Oil leak vacuum pump hose connection

Hi everybody,

I have a oil leak on top of my vacuum pump on my 645ci from 2004 with 181.000km. I've replaced both seals and the oil switch last year. I've cleaned it with brake cleaner to check where it's leaking.

So after cleaned it, I saw it was leaking fresh oil on top of the vacuum pump. It's leaking at the plug where the hose connects on top. This plug i a bit loose and I can spin it around with a twist left or right. When I'm doing this, some oil comes out of the plug on the vacuum pump. Is it normal that it's loose and can spin around?

There is no leak at the seals or oil switch.

Does anybody knows how to fix this or should I buy a new vacuum pimp and if I'll buy a new one, do I need to put new seals on the new pump just in case?

The 2nd picture in this thread #14 shows my same problem. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=14

Greetings

Roger

Last edited by Moksi; 10-23-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksi View Post
Hi everybody,

I have a oil leak on top of my vacuum pump on my 645ci from 2004 with 181.000km. I've replaced both seals and the oil switch last year. I've cleaned it with brake cleaner to check where it's leaking.

So after cleaned it, I saw it was leaking fresh oil on top of the vacuum pump. It's leaking at the plug where the hose connects on top. This plug i a bit loose and I can spin it around with a twist left or right. When I'm doing this, some oil comes out of the plug on the vacuum pump. Is it normal that it's loose and can spin around?

There is no leak at the seals or oil switch.

Does anybody knows how to fix this or should I buy a new vacuum pimp and if I'll buy a new one, do I need to put new seals on the new pump just in case?

The 2nd picture in this thread #14 shows my same problem. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=14

Greetings

Roger

I had this leak and just changed the retaining clip with a jubilee clip which allowed a much tighter connection and fixed the issue..... never to return

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I was at the garage today and you are right! The clip is more tighter now and after driving 60km its not leaking any more

So it's fixed for now

Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Ran across this thread searching for other things.

I believe there is not suppose to be oil in that line at all. Its a vacuum line that runs to the brake booster. There was a recall at least on my 545i where they had to inspect and make sure no oil had gotten in the line from the vacuum pump. If it did they had to inspect the booster. If oil was in there they had to replace it all.

I was good, they just installed a new line. You shouldn't have oil there at all.

I think I am right on this.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
My complete system was replaced for the same reason. Oil had gotten to my booster, & they changed all lines, check valve , booster, master cylinder, & flushed the complete system. I requested my booster back for inspection after it was removed. They 1st tried to tell me I had a booster problem, that was not covered under the recall.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
My complete system was replaced for the same reason. Oil had gotten to my booster, & they changed all lines, check valve , booster, master cylinder, & flushed the complete system. I requested my booster back for inspection after it was removed. They 1st tried to tell me I had a booster problem, that was not covered under the recall.
Herb:

This looks like the leak I have. I was told it was the vacuum pump leak. Was there a recall on this like you mentioned in your post? I called my dealer & told there was no open recalls on my car. Was this on your 645?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 AM
Michael

Hi ! Here in the UK this recall was done for safety reasons, meaning BMW had to do it even if the car was out of warranty, not sure what you call it in the States. Apparently it can lead to a complete brake failure? not sure but for them to do it to all models meant it was serious enough. You can access the recall data online ! easier to do in the States!!!
Mine was done but they only had to replace the pipe, different faults lead to whether or not the whole system needs doing. Most seem to have just the pipe.

When I had the leak mentioned above in my post I cannot remember whether it was pre or post the recall, either way fitting the new jubilee clip fixed the issue!!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
There was a recall for the 6 Vacuum Pump about a year or 2 ago. If there was leaking they replaced everything...
Mine is leaking now around the seal apparently. I haven't looked at it yet but my SA told me so on inspection I had a while back. Apparently not to bad as I haven't had time to replace it and it hasn't caused any problems
I just bought the pump and plan on R&Ring it soon.

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
There was a recall for the 6 Vacuum Pump about a year or 2 ago. If there was leaking they replaced everything...
Mine is leaking now around the seal apparently. I haven't looked at it yet but my SA told me so on inspection I had a while back. Apparently not to bad as I haven't had time to replace it and it hasn't caused any problems
I just bought the pump and plan on R&Ring it soon.

Do you know that guys on here said that all you need to do is replace the seal & an O ring. Did you get a letter from BMW NA? I called my dealer twice & they said the fixed my car in 2010 for a brake booster thing? & something in 2012, that wasn't the vacuum pump. It pisses me off because mine is leaking really bad. I called the dealer & he said they took care of it, It obviously didn't last. I already ordered the parts from a web site that they guys on here suggested, & I will bring it to an Indy place to be repaired. The parts only cost $35.00. I don't really trust the dealer. I think they pad the labor costs.

Whoops! I just read your post again & you said the dealer fixed it. Why don't you bring it back to them?
Maybellineo

Last edited by maybellineo; 01-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybellineo View Post
Do you know that guys on here said that all you need to do is replace the seal & an O ring. Did you get a letter from BMW NA? I called my dealer twice & they said the fixed my car in 2010 for a brake booster thing? & something in 2012, that wasn't the vacuum pump. It pisses me off because mine is leaking really bad. I called the dealer & he said they took care of it, It obviously didn't last. I already ordered the parts from a web site that they guys on here suggested, & I will bring it to an Indy place to be repaired. The parts only cost $35.00. I don't really trust the dealer. I think they pad the labor costs.

Whoops! I just read your post again & you said the dealer fixed it. Why don't you bring it back to them?
Maybellineo
When I brought mine in everything was fine. They did a few things and sent me on my way. It wasn't till about a year later that it started a minor leak.
I figured if I'm going to pull it off, might as well put a new one on for the piece of mind.

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Herb:

Did you get the letter from BMW NA? My dealer said they fixed mine in 2010. Can someone please advise what year the Vacuum pump was recalled?

Maybellineo
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Herb: What year did you get this issue fixed. I had mine fixed in Dec 2010, but they just fixed the booster. I just fixed the vacuum pump leak & the oil switch leaks with an Indy. The dealer said my recall repair was closed. This is really maddening!

I called BMW NA & they said to bring it back to the dealer & they will work with me. Right!! Their labor cost is twice what I payed the Indy, if they wouldn't cover the repairs, I would have had a much higher bill.

Maybellineo
Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
Ran across this thread searching for other things.

I believe there is not suppose to be oil in that line at all. Its a vacuum line that runs to the brake booster. There was a recall at least on my 545i where they had to inspect and make sure no oil had gotten in the line from the vacuum pump. If it did they had to inspect the booster. If oil was in there they had to replace it all.

I was good, they just installed a new line. You shouldn't have oil there at all.

I think I am right on this.
Hi! the pipe we are talking about is what helps creates the vacuum for the brake booster, so should not leak as it reduces the vacuum, if oil is coming out due to the hose connection being loose, then this is more to do with the hose connection and not the vacuum pump oil seals. If you think about it if the vacuum system has a leak then it is more likely to draw oil through, a very slow process but that is how the oil makes its way to the booster!!!!
The vacuum pump seals leak at the point it is connected to the engine block, hence the change. When my car had the recall done it was after I fixed the leak at the hose, so if it was causing the the failure of the brake booster then it would have all been replaced.
The brake booster recall was in a number of sections, going from replacing one hose (the main action) right through to the contamination of the brake booster and associated parts!!

Last edited by 645/333; 02-04-2014 at 02:09 AM.