Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Collison repair for i vehicles

Had a little fender bender on my 550i this week. I have an i8 on order for 2016 and was concerned about whether it would be difficult to repair the low weight carbon fiber construction on the i vehicles. The body shop manager at my dealer told me that my dealership was designated at the only BMW trained and certified i vehicle repair shop in the area. He said that the training his department was being given by BMW on how to repair i vehicles was very expensive and time consuming.

Anyone here with any more information about collision repair on i vehicles?
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: SLS, E39 M5, E30 M3
Just don't have an accident

In all seriousness, with carbon fiber and aluminum, neither are typically "repairable" in the traditional sense, you just replace the parts. I'm going to assume that intrusion in to the carbon fiber tub (passenger cell) will classify the car as totaled.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
For most steel body cars by the time the air bags go the car is a total loss. The parts are too expensive. It doesn't matter that the car could be repaired.

i3 probably won't be any different. No idea about the i8.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
Here's what I was told by Jacob Harb (BMWi Brand Manager) when I met him.

- The CFRP is actually cheaper and/or easier to repair than steel. The damaged CFRP can simply be cut and only the damaged piece replaced. It was designed that way with replacement in mind.

- There will be special BMW i repair centers which will have the expertise and (hopefully most of) the parts needed for BMW i repair work.

Sounds like your dealer will be one of them. There will not be too many at first, but the major metropolitan areas should be covered. The BMW i cars will need to be transported to one of these trained dealers for repair.

Personally I hope never to find out how well this all works and just keep the i8 in one piece

Last edited by ddk632; 01-26-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Here's what I was told by Jacob Harb (BMWi Brand Manager) when I met him.

- The CFRP is actually cheaper and/or easier to repair than steel. The damaged CFRP can simply be cut and only the damaged piece replaced. It was designed that way with replacement in mind.

- There will be special BMW i repair centers which will have the expertise and (hopefully most of) the parts needed for BMW i repair work.

Sounds like your dealer will be one of them. There will not be too many at first, but the major metropolitan areas should be covered. The BMW i cars will need to be transported to one of these trained dealers for repair.

Personally I hope never to find out how well this all works and just keep the i8 in one piece
I was just stopped at a red light on my street when the person behind me fell asleep and bumped me from behind. Then in a parking lot another person wasn't looking and backed into my left rear bumper. I realized that no matter how careful I am, I cannot avoid getting minor body damage that requires repair. It has nothing to do with the airbags deploying and the car being a total loss, as suggested by someone else above.

But I'm glad to hear that BMW is designing the i series car in such a manner that these minor mishaps will be able to be suitably repaired. I'm just fortunate that my dealer happens to be one of the designated i car repair centers.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 01-27-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
The CFRP is in the frame, not the outer skin panels.

Low speed damage like that will be easy to repair on an i3 or i8.

The external panels are composite plastic. At very low speeds there likely won't be any damage at all. The panels are flexible and durable. If the impact does damage a panel, all a shop needs to do is replace the part.

A collision that is violent enough to damage the CFRP should set off the air bags.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-26-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Actually the i8 has CFRP inner structure in the doors also. Here's an interesting article on the i8, CFRP, and crash testing and safety:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013...130910-i8.html
Old 01-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i Sport
ddk632, thanks for the article link. In reading this and other info BMW provided at the time of the Frankfurt launch, it does appear that there will be at least one additional option available on the i8, aside from the exterior and interior color schemes and wheels:
The BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance package available as an option comprises High Beam Assistant; a rear view camera; Surround View; Speed Limit Info including No Passing Info display; and Collision Warning with pedestrian recognition and braking function.

Curious if anyone has heard of any other possible options.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: SLS, E39 M5, E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
ddk632, thanks for the article link. In reading this and other info BMW provided at the time of the Frankfurt launch, it does appear that there will be at least one additional option available on the i8, aside from the exterior and interior color schemes and wheels:
The BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance package available as an option comprises High Beam Assistant; a rear view camera; Surround View; Speed Limit Info including No Passing Info display; and Collision Warning with pedestrian recognition and braking function.

Curious if anyone has heard of any other possible options.
I think there are options in other countries. US models supposedly just come with everything. Just like you could option up a SLS Black Series in Europe but they came with everything standard in the US. Also BMW used to do the same thing with early M5s. Everything was just standard for the US. This would make good business sense as well. A value add when it comes to signing the paperwork and writing a check, realizing you're already paying $135k for a 1.5 liter 3-cylinder. It also gives a standardized feature set to all models in this market. When looking for a CLK63 Black Series all I had to care about was color, mileage, condition since everything was standard. Makes things a lot easier. It's also a brand image thing. Who wants the world's most futuristic looking car...that doesn't come with active cruise, surround view, lane departure, HUD, etc standard.

Last edited by Carac; 01-28-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Yeah options like that seem ridiculous not to have. Hell on my X6M I couldn't imagine not having the tech it does, and it's nowhere near what the i8 will have.

Carac is correct and this is what I also was told by several BMW people at the i8 events I attended back in December - the US i8 will be fully optioned as standard.

The only thing I can think of, and not knowing if they will even be available, would be the CFRP wheels and (really, really keeping my fingers crossed for this) the Laser headlights.. I know, it's highly unlikely they will make it stateside though.