Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 07-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to GimpyMcFarlan
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Crimson/Beige
Post Reactions to the French Grand Prix

BMW Motorsport Newsletter...

"I really hoped I could get much more than one single point today", commented Juan Pablo Montoya after his eighth-place finish at the French Grand Prix.

Juan Pablo Montoya: "It has been a very difficult race for me, especially because of an intense pain in my neck, which nearly prevented me from being able to keep my head up. I hurt my neck on Friday, when I crashed, but I didnít expect the pain to become so sharp in the race. With regards to the race, I maintained my grid position at the start but after 20 laps or so hit a kerb too hard and spun, losing three places. After that I tried to close the gap with Kimi Raikkonen in front, but I wasnít able to get close enough to pass him because I just wasnít quick enough. Also the balance of my car wasnít ideal, especially in the first part of the race, which caused me to make a few mistakes. I really hoped I could get much more than one single point today."

Marc Genť: "Tenth place is not what I had hoped for. I had a problem with the clutch on the grid but since I didnít want to jump the start I released it very slowly and lost three positions. This is when I lost 50% of my chances to get good finish. Then Mark Webber and I touched on turn 3 and I nearly spun. Two of my sets of tyres were very good and allowed me to catch up with the drivers in front, like Mark Webber or Juan Pablo, but even though I tried my best, those in front were too fast. Both my car and I just needed more speed, today."

Sam Michael (Technical Director, WilliamsF1): "Our pace in the race was disappointing today. We would have finished a little bit further up if Juan had not spun. It did cost us one or maybe two places, but even without this the result would not have been what we are aiming for. Since our race strategy, tyres and pit stops were fine, we obviously need to keep pushing to improve the pace of the car."

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): "Juan lost some positions due to his spin and Marc lost three places in the heat of the start but drove a proper race afterward. A fifth and a seventh place would have been possible today and would have mirrored our performance over the rest of the weekend. Both drivers were not happy with the handling of the car. There wasnít a chance to do any proper testing of the new parts prior to this race weekend and it did not help either that set-up work on Friday was hampered by Juanís crash and bad weather. We need to exploit the full potential of this further developed package in the next races. Enginewise we didnít experience any problems during the weekend."
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2004, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Notice that Dr. Theissen is speaking about no time to test parts. Apparently they elected to run some parts that were untested. Somewhat hard to imagine, but there will be not test time for the next couple of weeks. The new aero parts that were talked about for France had not been previously on the car. Somewhat unusual for Williams.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 07-05-2004, 09:24 PM
I reject your reality

Mein Auto: 02 Trulli-Leopard
I though they tested some of the stuff at the earlier tests in Jerez (or wherever they were when Wurz and De la Rosa put on the mega miles on the 19B).
Old 07-05-2004, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdave
I though they tested some of the stuff at the earlier tests in Jerez (or wherever they were when Wurz and De la Rosa put on the mega miles on the 19B).
You would think so, but apparently they decided to just use the new pieces.

Check out the link to F1-Live.

You'll notice that Ross Brawn took the opportunity to twist the knife.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA