Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
My 2014 35i 'coded'

Driving to work this morning, my X1 went into Limp-Mode with 3500 miles on it. I was driving in DS, gently, as the motor was still cold. I accelerated from a stop and noticed that the RPMs were getting high. The transmission had gone into Manual by itself (or I had accidentally knocked in into Manual mode). At about 4500 RPMs, I switched it into D. At that instant, the motor went into Limp-Mode.

So, I limped it to the dealership and got a loaner. I'm still waiting for the diagnosis.

I wonder how common it is for the 35i to go into limp-mode? I've certainly heard of it but it surely concerns me. We were going to take the X1 on a 1000 road trip this weekend across the Southwest desert.

Now, I'm thinking that even if the X1 is fixed in time, we should probably take our bullet-proof 4Runner instead.
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Sucks to hear.
Hopefully its nothing major, maybe just some bad gas or something?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 325CI
Will be curious to know what is the diagnosis. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM

The diagnosis is that cylinders 1, 2, and 3 misfired. That is, all of cylinder-bank one. The service manager and his team have not been able to figure out why this is happening. They are trying to replicate the exact conditions that led to the failure this morning. I will keep you posted.

But, he indicated that they might never figure it out. And that it might never happen again.

That would not give me confidence.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
I have an sDrive 28, not the 35, but something similar happened to me. It was exactly one week after I had purchased the X1, and while driving slowly through a shopping center parking lot the "engine malfunction" light came on. Probably had under 300 miles on it at that point though, not 3500. I was close to home and had to make one more stop. When I got back in the X1 after that last stop, the light did not reappear and the car ran fine. I called my dealer's service and they said that early in the car's life, the computer may have been adjusting to my driving style. I was Ok with continuing to drive it without taking it in for analysis, to see if the event reoccurred. It never has.

But like I said, that was after only 300 miles or so, and the N20. Hope your situation turns out OK.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM

It's now official. The dealership could find no reason for the misfires which caused the limp-mode. So, I'm left with vague assurances that this might not happen again.
The take home reality is that something in my car caused a full power-delivery failure which BMW can't fix.
If this happened merging onto an interstate, accelerating through a left turn in an intersection or countless other situations, the result could be an accident.
I'm not pleased.