Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: Merc C250 2013
Post Need help ; Can't decide

Hi everyone, my mother and I are deciding on a new second car. We already have a mercedes C250 so we want something :
1. Practical, 2. Can do slight off roading and 3. Safe (I'm 18 starting pre-med next year and would have to drive it).

After looking around we have settled at an Audi A3 and BMW X1 (I know two very different class of car.) I am also not trying to start a brand war, your educational and helpful input is appreciated.

Audi A3 1.8T Sportback
Slightly Less space
No xenon
No nav
Manual seat adjustment
No f/r parking sensors
Non metallic colour
$8000 US Less

BMW X1 s20i
More Space
Lighting Package
Nav System
Electric seats
PDC system
Metallic colour

The A3 is BARE and the X1 is pretty much loaded. Ultimately it will come down to price and reliability.
What do y'all think? thank you!

Last edited by Rawliii; 01-15-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Actually, the A3 and X1 compete with each other directly, especially in Europe.

The X1 you have mentioned is not AWD; not sure about the Audi as you don't mention Quattro might be FWD. I would think you'd want AWD if you're talking "offroad", although it's not necessary if it's "light".

The difference in cost is mostly driven by the options on the X1. If cost is really a driver, you should be considering other less-expensive options like a Subaru Impreza, Ford Escape, etc., possibly a Volvo XC60 (yeah, they're not as "cool".)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 AM

Thanks floyd for your suggestions. Yes, both cars are the two wheel drive equivalents. For my climate and off roading needs, an AWD system isn't necessary.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
I am biased against Audi A3 as mine was in the shop for repairs a lot. I only had it 3 years and it was in the shop about 15 times. I didn't take it on long trips because it was so unreliable.

For "off roading" the higher clearance of the X1 would be better but depends on how rugged the off roading is.

I find the X1 is sportier and a lot better drive than the A3.

I would choose the X1.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post

For "off roading" the higher clearance of the X1 would be better but depends on how rugged the off roading is.

I find the X1 is sportier and a lot better drive than the A3.

I would choose the X1.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I agree with the above. I owned an A3 and have driven a couple of others. It is not a sporty ride and does not offer much rough road capability. It is also considerably less spacious than the X1. I do like the way they look though at least as much as the X1.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
I have the sDrive20i here in Mexico. It is a wonderful car, but the sDrive is not the version I would like to take much off-road. Ground clearance is actually quite good, but I think it will lack in traction on slippery, muddy terrain. On-road, however, I don't think there is any other vehicle in its class that performs as well as the X1. It will also hit all your points as far as comfort , safety and utility. If you're looking for something to take a little more off-road, I would look at the BMW X1 xDrive or the Audi Q3 with 170 H.P. (the 211 H.P. version was overkill for the asking price, IMO.) The Q3 costs about the same as the X1 sDrive. I test-drove the Q3 and was really impressed with its off-road performance. Hopefully, they sell the Q3 in Trinidad.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 01-16-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Wolf and Zznaig, the reliability incite really swayed the decision in favour of the BMW. Also Chris, they do sell the Q3 but it's also 1. More expensive , 2. Ugly (just my opinion) and 3. Sold by audi which here tends to provide shoddy customer service and car-care after the sale.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM

You won't be disappointed in the X1 sDrive as long as you are aware of its limitations. I LOVE mine! I figured 95% of our driving here is on-road and the X1 amazed us in that respect. So we went with that one and don't regret it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 AM

We did a test drive of the X1 yesterday and all in all it was nice. Handled well, packed with technology and nice engine. On the downside , the steering was a bit heavy on the s20i, is it because it is essentially an 'X' and is a bit more rugged?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM

If it didn't have a tad of heavy steering it wouldn't be a BMW.

The X1 sDrive has possibly one of the lightest steering among BMW'S. It used to be a lot more pronounced with older BMW'S with hydraulic steering. It is part of feeling the connection between the vehicle and the road. Most likely you will get used to it, but BMW'S are known to require a little more attention/work behind the wheel.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 01-19-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
If it didn't have a tad of heavy steering it wouldn't be a BMW.

The X1 sDrive has possibly one of the lightest steering among BMW'S. It used to be a lot more pronounced with older BMW'S with hydraulic steering. It is part of feeling the connection between the vehicle and the road. Most likely you will get used to it, but BMW'S are known to require a little more attention/work behind the wheel.
Thats not true, the 428i has super light steering.
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM

Have a test drive for the A3 scheduled tomorrow. Unfortunately the Audi dealership in trinidad has very poor customer satisfaction in terms of after sales service which is very important when buying a car, especially a euro. IMO, the Q3 is just ugly and comes in at a higher MSRP than the X1. Ohh the woes and excitement of picky car shopping. Maybe we should look at the new, very heavy and highly underpowered Honda CRV's lol!