Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
Tesla takes the C7 Corvette in a drag race, How would the i3 or i8 do?

Tesla's Model S P85 shows what an EV can do on the drag strip, going up against the C7 Corvette Z51. With 100% of the cars torque available from the moment you push down the throttle, it's no wonder it was able to stay ahead of the Vette over the quarter mile. Sure the Corvette would catch up in the top end, but for everyday use, that immediate torque from the electric motor is amazing.

Watch the Tesla Model S take down the C7 Corvette in the quarter mile.

Another EV/Petrol match up, not too long ago, a BMW i3 pull an M3 off the line and held it's own to 60 mph. Again, the electric reigned off the line. This makes me wonder, how would the i8 perform in a drag race? 362 hp (max. torque: 420 lb-ft) and a 0-62 mph in 4.4 seconds, that's real close to the Tesla P85. What else would you like to see the i3 or i8 drag race?

Here's a refresher of the BMW drag race, i3 vs. M3.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: SLS, E39 M5, E30 M3
"How would the i3 or i8 do?"

The i8? A little slower but then I could drive it to the beach for a week without having to plan around charging stations or wait longer than a couple minutes refueling at one of the hundreds of gas stations between here and there. Or visit a friend a couple hours away without having ask questions like "do you have an outlet outside" or "mind if I bum some electricity".

I'm sure it's great for some people, but the nearest supercharger station is more than a full charge away from me and the next nearest (120 miles away) isn't scheduled to be in-service until the end of 2015 at the earliest. I probably won't be able to beat a Tesla at the drag strip...but I don't have to worry about having conserving fuel for a trip home and I would easily beat it on a road trip.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
"Mind if I bum some electricity" - that's classic!

More importantly, unlike a Tesla, the i8 will never be mistaken for a Hyundai or a Kia, or anything else on the road for that matter!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Based off magazine times, the Corvette and Tesla are roughly an even match in the 1/4 mile. That's not surprising, as the issue with electric cars since the dawn of the automotive age has been range (and recharging time) not speed.

Car and Driver did a race between a Tesla S and a Ford Model T from Detriot to Long Island, NY. The Tesla won by an hour, but the model T had to take a longer route because its top speed wasn't high enough for the highway. Something more modern, say from the 1930's, would have smoked the Tesla. A better question is whether the Tesla will be able to make that drive when its 100 years old. All the electronics will have long since failed and replacement parts been obsolesced.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by cwsqbm; 01-30-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: SLS, E39 M5, E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
A better question is whether the Tesla will be able to make that drive when its 100 years old. All the electronics will have long since failed and replacement parts been obsolesced.
I think that's why Tesla is working REALLY hard on swappable battery packs because if they don't, owners are going to find out they can only go half as far as they used to after a couple of years. My E30 still holds the same amount of fuel and can go the same distance on a tank it could 25 years ago...
Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster, M3
The i3 or the i8 would spank the Tesla if they were driven on roads with curves!