Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
BMW i8 in Midtown Miami Public Appearance

BMW i8 at Midtown Miami Foutain Plaza by ddk632, on Flickr

This is the last of my i8 threads for a while, sadly. Unless I catch one driving around down here, of course

This was pretty much a public event. Thanks to a Bimmerpost member whom I met at the SLS event for letting me know about the event!

BMW i Brand Manager gave a quick talk about the i8 specs and details to a public applause, and then answered questions.

BMW i Brand Manager Presents the BMW i8 by ddk632, on Flickr

Each time I've seen the i8, there were less and less barriers between myself and the i8. In LA, it was completely closed off behind glass. At the SLS, there was only glass on the sides. Here in Midtown Miami Shops, there was no barrier at all except for some BMW / Octagon people ensuring that nobody sat in the car.

BMW i8 at Midtown Miami by ddk632, on Flickr

I got some nice detail shots of the i8 at night and my favorite shots of the rear LED tail lights are at the bottom of this thread.

BMW i8 Interior From Passenger Side 1 by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Interior From Passenger Side 2 by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Interior From Passenger Side 3 by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 LED Headlight Turned On by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Dashboard Stitching Detail by ddk632, on Flickr

i8 Emblem by ddk632, on Flickr

eDrive by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Wing Turn Signal and LED Tail Light by ddk632, on Flickr

Probably my favorite shot so far of the taillights:

Light of the Future by ddk632, on Flickr

That's it folks!

This Crystal White i8 will be on display at CES in Las Vegas in January 2014, a fitting place for it as it's a technology conference (Consumer Electronics Show).

I will not be there, though, but if you will, make sure to see the i8!
Ads by Google
Old 12-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i Sport
Thanks for sharing your photos, ddk632, and great shots as always. Glad you were finally able to get beyond the glass barrier. Did you happen to get a look at the clearance between the front seat backs and the rear +2 seats? I have two young boys who would be riding back there on occasion, so am curious just how cramped they will be.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks!

Yeah this was the closest I've got to being inside the i8, lol!

I did get a good look and there is really barely any leg room back there. If I had to guess, I'd say 4-5 inches max.

If your kids are single digit ages I think it'll be fine, but for bigger kids like teens it won't be comfortable.

I had one photo of the back but due to the horrible lighting I discarded it ... maybe I'll dig it out and post it.

I also have 2 small kids, but they're really small... I'm keeping the X6M which fits my wagon, stroller, stuff for trips to the beach, etc. The X6M is my DadMobile

For short trips it shouldn't be an issue with small kids in the i8. Longer trips might be.

The closest comparison I can think of is the backseat in the 911.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Thanks!

Yeah this was the closest I've got to being inside the i8, lol!

I did get a good look and there is really barely any leg room back there. If I had to guess, I'd say 4-5 inches max.

If your kids are single digit ages I think it'll be fine, but for bigger kids like teens it won't be comfortable.

I had one photo of the back but due to the horrible lighting I discarded it ... maybe I'll dig it out and post it.

I also have 2 small kids, but they're really small... I'm keeping the X6M which fits my wagon, stroller, stuff for trips to the beach, etc. The X6M is my DadMobile

For short trips it shouldn't be an issue with small kids in the i8. Longer trips might be.

The closest comparison I can think of is the backseat in the 911.
I guess the other factor that needs to be taken into account for the rear seating is the position of the front seats. Fortunately, I'm not very tall so usually move the seat up a bit more than most, which will provide a little more space for my boys.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
I didnt know there were seats in the back, looks like just a two-seaters. Is the back (room) comparable to the Audi TT?
Dear God, protect my ride."
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM

There are seats but they are like a Porsche 911 backseat, not full blown seats like in a regular coupe. I don't know how much room is in the Audi TT, though.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
I think it's called a "jump seat" not a "back seat". In the old days we would only use it for short hops for a third person to sit sideways in it with his feet up on the seat.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
I think it's called a "jump seat" not a "back seat". In the old days we would only use it for short hops for a third person to sit sideways in it with his feet up on the seat.
Is that what it a really called? Cuz the TT has two seatbelts in the back for two people but my tiny 16 year old sis wouldn't even fit in it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-25-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLambo View Post
Is that what it a really called? Cuz the TT has two seatbelts in the back for two people but my tiny 16 year old sis wouldn't even fit in it.

Of course, there has to be two seat belts there, that's the law. But I have seen it referred to as a "jump seat", even if that's not its official designation by BMW. But, of course, if your sister was only 8 years old, instead of 16, she would not need a child seat, and she would fit and would need a seatbelt. If an adult were to sit in the back crosswise with his feet up on the seat he would still need to use a seat belt. Depending on which direction he was sitting would determine whether he would use the seatbelt on the left or on the right.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Of course, there has to be two seat belts there, that's the law. But I have seen it referred to as a "jump seat", even if that's not its official designation by BMW. But, of course, if your sister was only 8 years old, instead of 16, she would not need a child seat, and she would fit and would need a seatbelt. If an adult were to sit in the back crosswise with his feet up on the seat he would still need to use a seat belt. Depending on which direction he was sitting would determine whether he would use the seatbelt on the left or on the right.
If my sis was 8 she might need those booster seats and I would imagine obstruction of rear window so can't be too young or old. Basically just assume two seats

Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
If my sis was 8 she might need those booster seats and I would imagine obstruction of rear window so can't be too young or old. Basically just assume two seats

Actually, I was referring to the fact that 8 year olds are not required to sit in "booster" seats. Maybe I was incorrect, but the laws stipulate that above a certain age children are not required to use "booster" seats. The age at which this is stipulated is much younger than the age at which they would not have enough leg room in the back seat of an i8.

That's why I don't "assume" two seats. I "assume" a "jump seat". In fact, when I had my 2006 650i my wife's son was only 13 yo and around 5'6" and fit into the back seat without difficulty on long trips. When I traded in the 650i he was 18 yo and 6'3" and clearly didn't fit into the back seat of the 650i. My wife then asked me to get a four door so he could fit into the back seat for long trips. So, I downgraded to a 5 series from a 6 series. Now he is 21 and has his own car and almost never goes on trips with us, so I don't need a back seat anymore. That's why I'm going to upgrade to an i8, because I don't need a backseat, I only need a jump seat for occasional emergency use.

That's why I don't "assume" two seats. If I needed two back eats I would not even consider an i8, which has only what I consider to be a "jump seat", even if legally it is required to have two seat belts.

"Different strokes for different folks", as we used to say in the old days.

Last edited by richschneid; 01-25-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Actually, I was referring to the fact that 8 year olds are not required to sit in "booster" seats. Maybe I was incorrect, but the laws stipulate that above a certain age children are not required to use "booster" seats. The age at which this is stipulated is much younger than the age at which they would not have enough leg room in the back seat of an i8.

That's why I don't "assume" two seats. I "assume" a "jump seat". In fact, when I had my 2006 650i my wife's son was only 13 yo and around 5'6" and fit into the back seat without difficulty on long trips. When I traded in the 650i he was 18 yo and 6'3" and clearly didn't fit into the back seat of the 650i. My wife then asked me to get a four door so he could fit into the back seat for long trips. So, I downgraded to a 5 series from a 6 series. Now he is 21 and has his own car and almost never goes on trips with us, so I don't need a back seat anymore. That's why I'm going to upgrade to an i8, because I don't need a backseat, I only need a jump seat for occasional emergency use.

That's why I don't "assume" two seats. If I needed two back eats I would not even consider an i8, which has only what I consider to be a "jump seat", even if legally it is required to have two seat belts.

"Different strokes for different folks", as we used to say in the old days.
I think it's a certain weight... Like 80lbs otherwise booster seat. It also depends on country/province/state.

I meant I would consider it a two-seater (only the front two).

What a good father, the day I met my partner, he said he wouldn't be trading his two-seater convertible for a van (or anything for that sake) even if we had kids (plural) in the future. I'm fairly certain if I insisted the car has to go, he would ask me to leave first.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I think it's a certain weight... Like 80lbs otherwise booster seat. It also depends on country/province/state.

I meant I would consider it a two-seater (only the front two).

What a good father, the day I met my partner, he said he wouldn't be trading his two-seater convertible for a van (or anything for that sake) even if we had kids (plural) in the future. I'm fairly certain if I insisted the car has to go, he would ask me to leave first.

Sorry, I misunderstood. But I do like the idea of having the "jump seat" behind the two front seats in the i8. A person can sit crossways back there in a pinch. Also the 80 pound weight limit you cite is exactly the weight of my wife's Golden Retriever, so he can also hop back there in a pinch. Of course he doesn't need a seatbelt.

Just kidding about the weight of our male Golden, but it was a curious coincidence. He actually does weigh exactly 80 pounds. She got him when her son went off to college as a replacement. Of course the dog is not 6'3" or even 5'6", for that matter.

Last edited by richschneid; 01-25-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 AM

I have 2 very young kids but am keeping the X6M for when I need a real backseat and trunk space.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I misunderstood. But I do like the idea of having the "jump seat" behind the two front seats in the i8. A person can sit crossways back there in a pinch. Also the 80 pound weight limit you cite is exactly the weight of my wife's Golden Retriever, so he can also hop back there in a pinch. Of course he doesn't need a seatbelt.

Just kidding about the weight of our male Golden, but it was a curious coincidence. He actually does weigh exactly 80 pounds. She got him when her son went off to college as a replacement. Of course the dog is not 6'3" or even 5'6", for that matter.
The dog: To relieve the "empty-nest" syndrome mothers get?:P

The seats: Yes, the idea of the jump seat is good for "just in case" situations. Is it legal to sit sideways due to airbags, impact and such in case of accident?

Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: E38 740IL
The i8 looks exceptional. It is a lot flashier then almost every BMW I have seen; the M1 is one exception.

When you look at a 3 or 5 series, there is a lot of similarity in the body with a Honda, Toyota, or a Hyundai. The shapes are similar with some obvious differences.

When I see the i8, it is shaped like a lambo or a Ferrari. The designers did an amazing job.