Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Assuming new winter tires fitted - can I get around in a 2011 M3 Sedan?

Live in Minnesota - so snow on the roads ALL winter. But - road crews are pretty effecient. And the v8 does not make a lot of torque in low revs - perhaps I can get around with an extra set of wheels with dedicated snows. will be my daily driver. Have Xi now - so a bit spoiled.

Rationale - the state troopers drive rear wheel drive sedans and seem to manage.

Not really a 'extra' car guy - if I have a nice M I want to drive it.

Thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
I don't drive mine in the winter. Well, if it's dry and around freezing, I'll take it out to "blow the dust off", but I don't really use it for transportation.

It's too nice/valuable, there are too many careless and/or incompetent drivers, and there's too much opportunity to damage it on the roads/potholes/ice/car parts/what-e-ver I run over because I couldn't see it or differentiate it from the slush.

Plus, I wouldn't expect it to be particularly fun with snow tires.

As for not being an "extra" car guy ... maybe you're not such a "nice car" guy? What would you do when you go where you have to park on the street or in a garage in a "party" area on the weekend?

Nice cars and careless owners = USED TO BE NICE cars.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Sure. Fit a good set of winter snows, bag of sand in the trunk, you'll be fine.

M3's just a three series with lipstick.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
OP, with a good set of winter tires/rims, you should be fine. The weakness is simply ground clearance and if you are challenged with steep hills. Looking at the three components to driving, acceleration, cornering and braking, except for the former, AWD will not help. I suspect your M3 with a winter setup will out-perform most of the vehicles on the road.

For reference, my M3 is hibernating for the winter. While I have driven many RWD vehicles in the past (M45, IS350, 530i, etc), it is the potholes and the road salt that will wreak havoc on my car. I'm fortunate to have a back-up vehicle which is a 2008 Audi A4. But if the M3 was my only vehicle, yes I would be driving it now.

I agree with your statement, most of the LEO vehicles are RWD. I don't recall a time when they stayed inside due to weather. AWD can be a benefit but not mandatory for winter driving. Some of this is marketing hype.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
As for not being an "extra" car guy ... maybe you're not such a "nice car" guy? What would you do when you go where you have to park on the street or in a garage in a "party" area on the weekend?

Nice cars and careless owners = USED TO BE NICE cars.
May I suggest you put your flat billed hat back on (a little sideways of course) and go back to polishing the spinners.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
I agree with nhman. I think if you have a good set of snow tires you should be fine unless there are steep hills along your drive. The Pilot Alpin PA3s are pretty good in the snow. There are mixed reviews on them when there is a lot of snow, but in mild winter driving conditions, I think they are excellent tires.

For Your Wheels: http://getnewrims.com

For Your Brakes: http://getnewbrakes.com
Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xDrive, 2014 X1
I live in Syracuse and saw a beautiful M3 with Blizzacks yesterday. The owner said it was great in the snow and he's never had anything but RWD cars here. File under for what it's worth.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 AM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
With the same tires, BMW M > BMW non-M even in the snow. Better rear diff, great balance.

The question is more if you want to take a car like that out in the snow. Between potholes, chunks of ice, road salt/rocks, inability to see the curbs, and other drivers ... there's a lot of opportunity to damage your nice car, at a time when it's just not that much fun to drive it anyway.

But, that's merely a personal sense of value, care and risk aversion. The car will perform fine.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
With the same tires, BMW M > BMW non-M even in the snow. Better rear diff, great balance.

The question is more if you want to take a car like that out in the snow. Between potholes, chunks of ice, road salt/rocks, inability to see the curbs, and other drivers ... there's a lot of opportunity to damage your nice car, at a time when it's just not that much fun to drive it anyway.

But, that's merely a personal sense of value, care and risk aversion. The car will perform fine.
Well said....thanks