Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 4.4I 8CYL. BMW x5
Blow-by/Smoke

Does anybody believe in putting an additive in side the Motor, for this problem?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
nope, just change your oil when recomended, but I cut my oil change interval to half so that means at 10k change oil.I use mine as daily driver on the freeway. And use the recomended oil in your manual for your cliamte and driving habbits.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Different opinions based on different experiences I guess, but like everything, it depends on additives. I have used and evaluated several additives over the years, and I believe in them, and my 528i with 276K on it is proof they work, never burned or leaked a drop of oil, never mind not one internal engine part has been changed other than oil filter. Not even water pump, just the alternator which finally gave it up and so I replaced tensioner and belt, but that's it. Best car I ever owned, hate to let it go, but time for something new. I used Mobile 1 almost exclusively, and ran oil between 5K and 7K on average, never by book recommendations, oil is the life blood of any engine, and clean oil is by far best.

Good luck,
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 4.4I 8CYL. BMW x5
I have 101200mi on it now, runs great! Just burning oil & the blow by. What's the name of that additive that your speaking of? Free100ksecret

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
It is Lucas Oil Treatment, name brand well proven product from company I have been using for years. It is new formula for all oils and engines, took about a thousand miles to work, but it has been working for me for several months and over 4K miles now, so it made me a believer.

Good luck,
Old 02-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Thanks 100ksecret I meant to try to poke fun.
I can agree with engine is or should be fine under a short warm up meaning get the chill off and drive the damn thing, but not like you stole it. Drive with light foot until its completely up to operating temp. How long depends on your temp zone. I have built a lot of engines but never have I heard of a oem stating "do not idle or warm up "ridiculous.
But reading your reply I can agree with you obsolescence is built in. You look at warranty programs and in all my years have never purchased extended warranty, why because of design. It is by design and engineering it will break when its out of warranty. And I am money ahead. I look back to when my wife purchased her 328 dealer wanted 2400.00 for extended warranty and I asked how will that make my life better? Replied ok he could sell it for 1650.00 and again asked how would that make my life better quote some services cost up to 600.00 and I asked again what would it cover he gave up. Bmw doesn't warranty rubber parts. quote from bmw. Probably because they are Buena n. not Viton.
Also to comment on your engine life of 276k great to hear. You also stated you change oil at 5-7k good to hear, because by bmw method you burn a measured amount of fuel and your service light will light up, usually in the mile range of18-24k and in my opinion is way to long of a interval if you plan on depending on your car for 200k mi. But by bmw design there warranty is up at 50k or unless you purchase to 100k and which most failures occur after that 100k. And its not a cheap insurance to purchase extended warranty, that you probably won't use so bmw wins. I mean its a profit for them. Bottom line is they want to sell you a new car before the 50k mark. Look at the ones for sale that are cpo miles just under 50k. But just thought I would give my two cents.