Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Steering controls not working

Hi guys,

so after a few months of owning my 04 x5 3.0 (143,000 km) I started to notice a few things failing, The car drives great but these electrical issues are driving me nuts. It still has the white oem battery. Needs a boost in cold weather if im sitting in a parking lot for more than 10-15 min in accessory mode.

Last month the power mirrors stopped folding and now i have to take them apart and fiddle with the clip piece in there but thats another issue. Then my passenger side ac wont blow cold just my driver side.

a few days ago i got a car wash and the my right plate bulb shorted from water damage and now i have to hard wire the bulb (beats replacing the entire piece)

yesterday the 4x4 and brake light came on which can mean 3 different problems (x-drive actuator, speed sensor or steering sensor)

and TODAY the steering wheel controls do not work or light up anymore. Only thing that still works is the heated steering button. A few weeks before the controls would work but the light wouldn't illuminate which is weird.

all help will be greatly appreciated ! this is really a PITA and I do not want to have to sell her anytime soon

thanks guys!

Last edited by s14DK; 02-04-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
you said you have a bad battery, which could cause the 4x4,brake light comming on ,also could cause glitches in the electrical system making things not work properly. did you test the alternator? should be around 13-14v .you need to replace that battery by the sounds of it, it may fix most of your issues.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 4.8is
Ive had awful experiences in the past with a bad alternator... Almost like the car was possessed...

Check the voltage when its running to see what you're getting at the terminals.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 PM

sounds good thanks for the info guys

will keep you posted!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM

alright so i got the battery tested today and the results passed. it held 12.4 volts at the end of the test. after coming home from the auto parts store i slapped on the battery drove for a bit and my 4x4 + ebrake light went out, so glad!

but my steering controls still do not work or lights up, only button that continues to work is the heated steering wheel. I checked all the fuses and were all good. I did some reading on other forums and most people said its the slip ring behind the steering wheel cover/horn.

on a side note, I ordered the bmw/mini Creator c110 scanner today should come in within a week or 2.

Last edited by s14DK; 02-06-2014 at 09:13 PM.