Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-22-2008, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Temperature Gauge Issue

My 2002 3.0l X5 hates the winter. It runs fine all Summer but once it gets under freezing outside I get the same problems. If I leave my car outside in freezing temperatures for an extended period of time once I start it and it starts to warm up the temperature gauges goes from cool all the way to hot. Normally what I do is just turn the car off right away as soon as the temp gauge goes to hot and turn it back on and its fine accept it takes forever for the car to warm up. If I park my car in the garage at night there's no problems so I don't even know if this is a real issue. I told my mechanic about it and he said he didn't notice anything wrong with the thermostat but I figured I'd see if anyone else has had the same weird issue.

Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0i
Yes, I have experienced this issue with my 2001 X5. I knew my car took forever to warm up, like the heat wouldn't come out at all until accelerating. Then, my temperature gauge started going to the red (hot) after driving or sitting for a long period of time while running. Then one day it just overheated, and due to a leak in the engine coolant, my thermostat, resevoir, and fittings all had to be replaced. It cost me 700.00 bucks. My recommendation is too get it to the dealer or actual BMW mechanic asap, before you end up like I did.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Sticky thermostat?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci Cabrio
I had a similar problem with my 03 X5 3.0i.....Issue was original thermostat. New version (BMW part) looked considerable better built. I would not be surprised if there was as known failure issue/problem requiring some re-engineering. Since new thermostat, I get better heat, while I have to say that heat up time under cold conditions can take a while compared to a V8. I'm talking Canadian weather in January!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 06 Hyundai Sonata
I am a tech working on an 02 X5 with this exact concern. intermittently when started in the cold after sitting, the temp gauge will immediately go into the red and he will have no heat if he keeps driving it. If he shuts it off and starts it right back up it the gauge will go back to normal and the HVAC will work fine. As far as I can tell it is NOT overheating, just reading incorrectly. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor on the rear of the block and also had the pcm programmed by BMW for a TSB they have for this concern. Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix? I have driven it home and cannot duplicate the problem so its making it very hard to correct. thanks for any info...
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint87rx7 View Post
As far as I can tell it is NOT overheating, just reading incorrectly.
Have you used the ODB-II connector with a data logger to confirm the coolant temperature reading the electronics "sees?" Coolant temperature is available on the OBD-II buss.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 AM

I have not been able to duplicate the concern myself, the customer is telling me that when he first starts it in the morning when its realy cold out that the gauge immediately goes to the red. not like 5-10 minutes but within seconds of starting it. I am driving home again after work with a scanner to try to duplicate the problem but as of right now i have not seen it act up. The customer is the owner of a body shop so I dont think that it is a human error type of thing.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I have not been able to duplicate the concern myself, the customer is telling me that when he first starts it in the morning when its realy cold out that the gauge immediately goes to the red. not like 5-10 minutes but within seconds of starting it. I am driving home again after work with a scanner to try to duplicate the problem but as of right now i have not seen it act up. The customer is the owner of a body shop so I dont think that it is a human error type of thing.

For problems like this, you might want to think about buying a CarChip, if you do a lot of work. You could just plug it into your customer's vehicle and let him drive it for a few days, then retrieve the chip and see what it says.

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/produc...asp?pnum=08226

I use one personally, and it give a nice log of coolant temperature, battery voltage, and other parameters.

It might be useful (and impress your customers) for some intermittent problems.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM

I forgot about those, almost bought one a while back. Matco will be here today Ill try to get one from him. Anyone else have any ideas on what the problem could be? Ive been searching the forum and found a couple people with the same exact problem but everyone just decides its a bad thermostat... no fixes yet though.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Well... one long shot. I would consider bleeding the coolant system. I once had similar symptoms when a slowly leaking head gasket on a Taurus would get exhaust into the system such the the temp sensor was out of the coolant flow. I understand BMW systems are prone to air bubbles and have a bleeding procedure after a coolant change to purge the system of air. I would try the air purge procedure and see if that fixes it.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM

I may end up doing that but Its just weird that a quick ignition cycle will make it read perfectly normal again. And the position of the sensor in the rear of the head seems like an odd place for a bubble to end up with other higher points in the cooling system. I realy want to see it for myself with a scanner on it so i can see what the input and output to the gauge are before i charge the guy for more labor.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I may end up doing that but Its just weird that a quick ignition cycle will make it read perfectly normal again. And the position of the sensor in the rear of the head seems like an odd place for a bubble to end up with other higher points in the cooling system. I realy want to see it for myself with a scanner on it so i can see what the input and output to the gauge are before i charge the guy for more labor.
I agree. Please let us know how it turns-out, I'm curious...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 AM

I know this is an old thread, but reprogramming the DME with the latest version of MS-43 software will resolve this issue. Service Bulletin 11 11 06 explains the issue as a " software calibration issue" internal the DME. Reprogram DME with latest version and you will be all set.

attached you will find a copy of the service bulletin.

Cheers

Rob
BMW tech 18yrs+
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	service bulletin 11 11 06.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	421420  

Last edited by rromano22; 02-07-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 525i 2002 & x5 2002
I would guess it's your thermostat. Check here for a DIY on the coolant system. Also Make sure you are not using regular antifreeze. The stuff you are looking for is blue.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM

My 06 X5 e53 had tons of overheating issues..replace entire cooling system..fan..h20 pump, thermostat, expansion tank....then started to blow white smoke from tail pipe and oil filter gasket drip. BYE BYE. loved the car, but not the expense. Traded in for reliable Honda.