Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
I recently went to the dealer for the recall/repair but was told that my car doesn't need the repairs, despite having received the recall letter already! Supposedly my car was not part of the recall group or something.... Anyone had gotten this from their dealer as well?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
Got my car back today. I had had a couple of intermittent brake issues. Service advisor said they opened up the engine to check which camshaft I had. Turns out it was one of the affected camshafts. The replaced the camshaft and the vacuum pump. My car was at the dealership for a total of one week while they did the inspection, got the parts and did the work. They also performed my first oil service. Seems to running fine. Time will tell.

On a side note: had a 328xi sedan loaner. Luxury Line. Beautiful car but it felt like a big, soft, squishy boat. It was much more of a luxury car than sports car. The electric steering sucked. I really missed my X1. It reminds me of my first BMW; a 2005 330i sedan. Loved the E46.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 AM
BMW bike whore

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxx1918 View Post
Got my car back today. I had had a couple of intermittent brake issues. Service advisor said they opened up the engine to check which camshaft I had. Turns out it was one of the affected camshafts. The replaced the camshaft and the vacuum pump. My car was at the dealership for a total of one week while they did the inspection, got the parts and did the work. They also performed my first oil service. Seems to running fine. Time will tell.

On a side note: had a 328xi sedan loaner. Luxury Line. Beautiful car but it felt like a big, soft, squishy boat. It was much more of a luxury car than sports car. The electric steering sucked. I really missed my X1. It reminds me of my first BMW; a 2005 330i sedan. Loved the E46.

How were you able to get your car in for this recall? I haven't heard from anyone other than the initial letters telling us about the upcoming campaign and fix. Luckily my car has been no problem
Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
I took my car in for it's required service and mentioned the intermittent brake problems I was having. They inspected the engine and found it to have the camshaft in question, regarding the recall. They chose to replace the camshaft and vacuum pump instead of taking the chance of letting me drive the car away.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 AM
BMW bike whore

Thanks Redsoxx!

Last edited by luvmybeemerbike; 01-15-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
At the minimum, every owner that has complained of a problem should have been taken care of by now. When an X1 owner nearly getting T boned doesn't motivate them to do the right thing, it says a lot about the company's priorities. To have a fix and choose not to implement it is astonishingly irresponsible.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:

The X1 is one of the last real BMWs IMHO. The X6 is the other. The 1 coupe and convertible are on heir way out.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:

The X1 is one of the last real BMWs IMHO. The X6 is the other. The 1 coupe and convertible are on their way out.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
The X1 is one of the last real BMWs IMHO. The X6 is the other. The 1 coupe and convertible are on their way out.

Have a really hard time thinking of the x6 as a "Real bmw"...

Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Have a really hard time thinking of the x6 as a "Real bmw"...

Perhaps you have not driven the new 3 or 5 or 6 or 7 or X3 or X5. Any of those will make the X6 seem like a sports sedan.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 AM
BMW bike whore

Took my car in for the recall last week, I wish I could report to you all what was actually done, but I can't because even my service advisor was a bit mis-informed if I can use that word. I can tell you that there was a "kit" ordered and placed into my car and my car was there the entire day and I was able to pick her up later in the early evening. The first oil change was done also and supposedly fluids topped off. Has anyone else had this "kit" installed?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3, '13 X1
I had the recall done yesterday. The receipt says "removed vacuum pump and checked. installed sleeve."

The kit which apparently includes the sleeve is listed as "11-31-8-632-503 REPAIR KIT FOR INTAKE CAMSHA" (presumably this is short for camshaft)

The SIB number for the procedure is: 11 01 14

Lou
Old 02-11-2014, 06:49 AM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by voerman View Post
I had the recall done yesterday. The receipt says "removed vacuum pump and checked. installed sleeve."

The kit which apparently includes the sleeve is listed as "11-31-8-632-503 REPAIR KIT FOR INTAKE CAMSHA" (presumably this is short for camshaft)

The SIB number for the procedure is: 11 01 14

Lou
Lou
I got more info from your receipt than mine! There is no mention of any of what you mentioned only the same number for the kit. I'm going to assume the same procedure was done?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X3, '13 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybeemerbike View Post
Lou
I got more info from your receipt than mine! There is no mention of any of what you mentioned only the same number for the kit. I'm going to assume the same procedure was done?
I would assume the same thing was done on both our cars. It seems that the new procedure is to add some kind of sleeve to the intake camshaft - beats replacing the entire camshaft which was the old fix.

It would be very helpful if someone with access to BMW SIB's could post a copy of SIB 11 01 14. This should tell us exactly what was done.

By the way I dropped my car off at 9:30 and picked it up at 2:30 the same day - so fairly quick.

Lou

Last edited by voerman; 02-11-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM
BMW bike whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by voerman View Post
I would assume the same thing was done on both our cars. It seems that the new procedure is to add some kind of sleeve to the intake camshaft - beats replacing the entire camshaft which was the old fix.

It would be very helpful if someone with access to BMW SIB's could post a copy of SIB 11 01 14. This should tell us exactly what was done.

By the way I dropped my car off at 9:30 and picked it up at 2:30 the same day - so fairly quick.

Lou

Lou:
Same here, in at 1030 and picked up and done by 625pm. Btw, I know this is off topic but where are you in NC? I plan to move down in about 84 months! On another note, I would definitely be curious to know what the SIB says.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28I X-line
I live in Staten Island also, which dealership the the recall work for you ?

thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 AM
BMW bike whore

Dons
I used JMK in Springfield, NJ, ask for David Carter for your service advisor. The entire team at JMK are good people and they are the closest NJ dealer to us that lends out loaners, just make sure to reserve one in advance to your appointment.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:39 AM
BMW bike whore

Not sure if this is related to the recall but two weeks to the day of getting my car back, yesterday afternoon I noticed a rough idle while pulling out of the driveway. When we got home several hours later, the rough idle was worse, almost a violent shake and got the "service engine soon" light along with the half shaded engine icon in the dash, both in yellow. (we don't have idrive) Only thing that has been done to the car is the first service and the recall. We did add gas in the last two weeks, but I have noticed that my gas MPG's is slipping. This may not be related to the recall, but the car was fine prior to it. I have read some threads that the fuel injectors were at fault on others cars and this sounds like a real option with my car.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328ix sedan/2010 X3
I got the recall letter in Feb (Vacuum Pump Oil Supply). Took it in today, and it came back saying "Recall, caused by SIB 11 01 14. "Corrected by Check Intake Camshaft and install the spring steel sleeve only" Installed 11 31 8 632 503 :B1-Repair Kit for intake.

Is this the same repair?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbake1 View Post
I got the recall letter in Feb (Vacuum Pump Oil Supply). Took it in today, and it came back saying "Recall, caused by SIB 11 01 14. "Corrected by Check Intake Camshaft and install the spring steel sleeve only" Installed 11 31 8 632 503 :B1-Repair Kit for intake.

Is this the same repair?

I had mine done last month. When they visually check out the cam shaft and is not part of the affected lot they will only install the sleeve. If it is part of the bad lot they will replace he camshaft.

I've had no issues and didn't notice and difference after the sleeve install so all is good.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
You guys are a bunch of sissy nerds!!!.... Just as your SA or the tech Forman what it is exactly!
Seriously, I know us BMW drivers are educated and empowered to get the right answers!........unless it really doesn't matter....lol

Old 05-10-2014, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctski1 View Post
You guys are a bunch of sissy nerds!!!.... Just as your SA or the tech Forman what it is exactly!
Seriously, I know us BMW drivers are educated and empowered to get the right answers!........unless it really doesn't matter....lol

Wow, are you Okay? A little excited, maybe? A little condescending, maybe? You use more exclamation points per post than every member here combined.
WTH?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
my X1 was built in July 2012, but no letter from BMW. My guess is that the initial bracket was a little off, but I'll ask about it the next time I bring it in.

Anyone else out there that didn't get a letter for an early 2013 X1 build in 2012?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
My 2013 sDrive was produced August 2012 and I never received a letter. I've had the car in to the dealer several times over the last year for various things and there are no recalls associated with my VIN. I decided not to worry about it.

DeeDee