Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 03 x5
Key fob not programming

I ordered a brand new key from BMW and they tried to program it but it wouldn't program. They told me they would have to look at it to see whats wrong. Anyone else have this issue and how much did it cost to fix? I want to get an idea before I take it in and end up with a $3,000 bill
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
If there's any of the FZV/DWA monitors that are staying "open"...it will shut down the remote locking. Many times, the fuel filler flap is the culprit.

Try locking the vehicle manually using the driver's door lock cylinder, then walk around to the fuel filler flap to see if it's locked. If it not locked, then check all the fuses for the central locking system (front & rear) to see if any are blown. If they are, replace fuse with one of same amperage.

If that's not the issue, then again, lock the vehicle manually from the drivers door lock cylinder, then watch the DWA red LED status light to see if you are getting a rapid flash (for 10 sec) then it slows down to normal flashing. If you get a rapid flash, that indicates that there is a monitor remaining open. You need to find that monitor and fix it or unplug it.

Also, not sure what procedure you're following to reinitialize the FZV/DWA (lock/unlock & arm/disarm) features of the key. If you skip, overlook, combine, or ignore any of the steps...it can result if failure to reinitialize. See the instructions below...as well as the list of "tips":

TIPS:
  1. KL R = ignition position 1 (not position 2 or 3 or OFF)
  2. lock/unlock the vehicle (using the driver's door lock cylinder) before programming
  3. make sure ALL doors are closed
  4. make sure ALL doors are UNLOCKED
  5. have ALL remote keys with you during the programming session (any remote key not there, will no longer work)
  6. do NOT stick the 2nd key into the ignition after the 1st remote has been programmed...start the 2nd key on STEP 3 where you start pushing the buttons (as stated in STEP 6)

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-12-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I replaced the "guts" of my two keys with the replacements to avoid the cost of recutting the hard part of the key. They programmed OK, door locks activated after the process each time. The keys now both operate the door locks, back hatch just fine. Turning the key to the on position functions as normal, but when turned to the "start" position, no vehicle start. I will add to this that I have two lazy locks, both on the driver's side, they sound like they want to function but the button doesn't actually move up and down. Any ideas why the vehicle won't start when the keys seem to be working after initialization?? The new key guts came with a new transponder chip, sounds like there is a separate programing process for this chip...?

Last edited by ronzoni89; 03-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzoni89 View Post
I replaced the "guts" of my two keys with the replacements to avoid the cost of recutting the hard part of the key. ...
Are you saying that you no longer have the internals of your original keys any longer? If so...your issue revolves around the misunderstanding that there are THREE features in your remote keys. You have only initialized the FZV/DWA (remote central locking & anti-theft alarm siren system) features of the key.

The EWS system is what immobilizes the vehicle...and there's a transponder chip soldered to the IC board of the remote key that is SPECIFIC to your car based on its VIN. The EWS transponder in everyone's BMW since Jan/1995 is specific to their BMW's VIN. You can't take the internals of another BMW key and insert it into your key and have it start the car.

The FZV/DWA features (again are different) and can be programmed to other BMWs that have the same RF and system...but the EWS feature of the key is specific to each BMW and has an assigned ISN (individual serial number) that matches the ISN written into the EWS control module & DME. If the ISN doesn't match in all 3 components, the car won't start.

(G- the EWS transponder is why the guts from another key won't start your car...you need the transponder that came with your car and was assigned to it as it came off the assembly line)

EWS - as programmed to your BMW from the factory:

2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-18-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5
The replacement internals come with a replacement transponder chip, there has to be a method to resinc this to the vehicle or there wouldn't be any replacing keys...?? Perhaps this is the part that is the dealer only...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 AM

As stated in the BMW information above...the EWS system (immobilizing feature) uses an ISN (individual serial number) that is specific to each BMW as it rolls off the assembly line. BMW is the only one that has this information. The EWS components are designed to communicate with each other, and if one of the components does not have the same EWS/ISN...then the vehicle is prevented from starting.

The above information (EWS) is a completely different system than the FZV/DWA (central locking/anti-theft alarm siren) systems. They do work in conjunction with each other...but are entirely separate systems.

But with anything...there's always a way in. You just have to break the system down to where you understand what it is each component needs, know where the info is stored, then find a way to replicate the original system.

There is an aftermarket piece of hardware called an AK90 which can retrieve the EWS ISN from your DME & EWS control module. You also need software/hardware that can communicate with the EWS control module to retrieve the 10 password codes for each key space that has been burnt into the EWS control module. Then you need to find black & writeable EEPROM chips with the ISN and key password codes. This new re-written EEPROM (that has the car's original ISN and key password codes) is then installed on the IC board of your ebay replacement key so that it can communicate with the DME & EWS-CM. Plus you have to find a keysmith that can correctly cut the black key blade so that the eBay (or wherever you got it) key can fit/work in the ignition and door/trunk lock cylinders.

You can acquire all the above software/hardware/equipment mentioned above...or you can contact a vendor like RPM Motorsport (out of Canada) that offers this service (for a fee of course)...or you can just go to your local BMW dealer, give them your VIN and verify ownership...order a new key (remote or non remote) and wait for your key that's already EWS coded and key blank cut. The only thing you "may" have to do is initialize the FAV/DWA programming...but for $150 (or whatever the price for a remote key)....may do this for you.

If contacting RPM is something you want to consider...here's a direct link to their website...you can read it or call them for more info as to the services they offer:
http://rmsonlinestore.com/
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-19-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM

Perhaps the information below about the development of EWS will help those who may not have a complete understanding of how the system works...and the reason its designed NOT to be easy to get around:

(SOLD)