Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 750i, 68 Camaro
Air filters

How many should this car have? From the looks of it there are 2 air boxes and that would mean 2 filters I think. I was doing some checkups n pulled one to see about how dirty etc, and when I pulled one it looks like there is another filters located in the top half of the air box. What is that? As it looks to be 2 filters per side?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: '06 750Li
only one filter per side for the '06 750.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 AM

I've never seen 2 per side before seems to be very restrictive if you ask me. One is actually in the top 1/2 of the air box lid and the other is a drop in filter. Actually looks like a fram replacement. It wouldn't really surprise me after some of the little things I've found with this car. I had one 4300 stock hid and on 5000 replacement hid barely noticeable to most but I could tell so now they match. I was going to just take that fram one out and just leave the one in the lid. Anybody else have the one in the lid or is the lid empty and a drop on one?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
I think that filter material is a built in pre-filter. I don't think it's replaceable.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:43 PM

So are they both supposed to be there? Seems to be adding restriction to me.... Ill try to take a pic later

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1389845891.178361.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	417298see here's the what to me looks like 2 filters. Am I mistake or is this a BMW thing?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: '95 840Ci, '05 745Li
Yellow one shouldn't be there. The charcoal one that snaps into the lid is the proper one.

EDIT: Sorry, I was confused...thought you were talking about the cabin filters. I have a pre-FL so don't know if the double filters in the air intake are normal. It looks like it is an air filter below and a charcoal filter above.

Last edited by dvanlare; 01-15-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by whytry View Post
Attachment 417298see here's the what to me looks like 2 filters. Am I mistake or is this a BMW thing?

That's what mine looks like.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 06 e66 / 98 e38 / 95 e38
My 06 750li has dual air intakes both have 2 air filters per air box .

But here this guy has 1 per side .. what's going on ..
Watch "How To Replace Your Air Filters In Your BMW E65 E66" on YouTube

Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Removing or altering the air intake system;
While the Valvetronicss control intake air and the throttle body remains in the full open position, you still need a certain amount of vacuum within the intake for proper CCV (diaphragm) operation. It is my belief that the measured restriction of the air filters help accomplish this task. If you change to an aftermarket (open air) filter such as K&N (when it's clean), it could throw this balance off. This could result in the diaphragms not closing correctly allowing more crackcase mist (oil) to enter the intake. While I'm plagiarizing - If excessive oil mist/vapor is present in the air intake the effect is to dramatically increase the potential for engine knock by lowering the effective octane level of the air/fuel mixture. If the Knock sensor detects any engine detonation "pinging" then it will retard your ignition timing to prevent further detonation. Oil is not as volatile as petrol and the effect is the explosion that pushes the engines piston down is not as violent which again equals less power. We also think the oil mist increases the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT).

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 02-14-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: info
Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=442293

stlbmw
Mein Auto: 2002 745Li/1999 528i
View My Garage

You guys...and gals are great, lots of good information to help. All things considered, I was starting to think the Cold Air setup was making the car whacky. So after pulling the same codes over and over, I took the car to a St Louis BMW authorized repair shop called Bimmers R Us. Local car enthusiast/mechanic that started fixing BMWs in his garage for himself and a few firends. Long story short, now he has grown to usually having about 10 or so BMWs for sale as well as 3-4 bays for repair. He has all the
BMW computer software that is linked back to BMWNA. Known the owner for a few years so he lets me back in the shop. Told him the addition of the CAI has created the previous posted issues.
He checked with the super hi dollar BMW link I-Pad looking equipment and pulled the SAME codes as my Peake Research code tool !! Although the mechanic I was hanging with explained the diff between clearing the codes...but also clearing the Adaptions..We did both..codes and Adaptations. Let it idle for about 3 minutes and then went along for a ride with the mechanic. Man...we went for a spirited drive. Then back to hookup the BMW link. went through all the base functions and it came back NO FAULTS.....WOOOOOHOOOOO. It was running perfectly...with the CAI on !!
The cars adaptations evidently had to be reconfigured/reset to go out there and see the new CAI and make it part of the "family" so to speak. Its now happy and has no problem with it. INTERESTING NOTE: On the fault tool they had the capability of checking voltages across all the sensors. All the unique values we within spec. The interesting part was that the Mass Air meter is seeing a bit more air running across it due to the mass of the air was up near 20.1 kg(?)/hr. The mechanic stated that it usually measures 19.1 or 19.2 on the upper end of the scale. Mine is about 20.2...this is due to the CAI sucking more air. The car is OK with this increased movement of air but it had to become part of the engines management sytem as normal. The 7 is running like a top....for now

DIAGNOSIS: SOFTWARE ADAPTATION TO ACCEPT CAI.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Any updates on this one? How can a regular guy clear that adaptations?