Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i sedan
Are E36's M3's too old for the track now?

I currently drive an E90 335i and do about 6 track days a year on it. It's a really fun and, believe it or not, reliable track car, but its limitations on the track are starting to show (heavy weight destroys front tires and brakes, no LSD, 18" tires are freaking expensive, staggered tires can't be rotated, etc.).

I have been jonesing for a dedicated track car and have given the E36 M3 a lot of thought. Many people here in the San Francisco Bay Area track them, so that seems like a good endorsement. However trying to be used one I usually find that cost $9k to $12k if they aren't hideously modded or wrecked, and have 120k miles on them. Is this car worth it, or will I be in a world of hurt when the (engine, rear subframe mounts, expensive part) dies? I'd still be going to the track around once every other month.

Alternatively I could start sinking money into my E90 to make it a more robust trackable vehicle, starting with adjustable camber plates to save the tires. I might even be able to talk my wife into letting me get a M235i, but I am not sure yet how reliable that would be AND its painfully expensive.

I like to hear what people's experiences are.
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2014, 07:04 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
The E36 chassis is extremely popular for track use, but I found that I really disliked the e36 M3 for track use.
At circa 3400lb it lacked focus, was too heavy and ran out of brakes.

Since mine was also a daily, I had no interest in gutting it for track use.
I use the E30 chassis with S52 motivation, as a personal preference for sub 3000lb cars.
Parts for the E36 are still plentiful, although a total suspension and cooling system refresh would be in order .
m

Last edited by 7pilot; 01-18-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 99M3,95M3
My 95 (stock) felt great back in 2007, but I was 210 pounds (170 now). I'm planning on putting my daily (99) on a small diet, CF hood/trunk/driveshaft, LTW wheels, pulleys, clutch/flywheel and a race seat I can swap in. My 98 will eventually get gutted and caged. Not sure what to do with my 95.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi boys

for my opinion, you arrived a good level so you must buy only track car.
This car is light, have a good brakes and has a good performance.
Even your car can be trasformed but it is too expensive and you will have a real race car.

You go to ebay or one a track and looking for, there are some people that sell it.

A good bye.

Matteo Tebaldi

owner E 30 M3 evo 2.5L
Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 328i
What you're actually looking for and don't realize it is someone selling an E36 track car. Whether it's an M3, or you can live with 50 less hp, a 328i. Make sure the car you're buying has the setup you want with a 4pt rollbar or a 6pt roll cage, square wheel setup; They may possibly have spare wheels for convenience, front subframe, rear sway bar reinforcements and any other reinforcements needed. They will probably have coilovers and aftermarket sway bars too.

If you don't like that route, at least get one with the reinforcements welded in.