Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 750LI/X5
Right Turn Signal Malfunction

Bimmer Boys,

I'm more than certain that this has been covered before and I tried to do a search before I posted the question but I couldn't find anything.

I was getting the malfunction turn signal code and took my car to the dealer. The socket was cleaned and a new bulb was installed (although the bulb wasn't blown, just going on and off at times).

Still, I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts. When I'm driving with someone else in the car, I refuse to use my blinker when making a right turn because you know that we can't let anyone know that there is something wrong with our cars -LOL!

I need to know if there is an easy DIY way to change the socket or do I need to return it to the dealership to have them replace the socket?

Please feel free to email me at FDUNupe@gmail.com or you can respond here just in case there are other new people to the forum that has the same issue.

Thanks in advance for all of those with feedback.

Rick
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Does it blink at all, really fast or just gets stuck ON when you activate it? Did you check both the front and rear turn signal bulbs?

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Yes, it blinks at its normal rate and then when I'm into the turn, it blinks fast. I didn't check the rear but when I look in the front, its the inner bulb ( closest to the grille) that goes out and then back on.

Can I change the socket and/or at least unhook it with ease to inspect it?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
I haven't changed or remove the socket to say. But on other cars I was able to change out the socket. Check realoem.com enter your vin and it has the diagrams.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
I'm a bmw tech, I've seen this issue many times. The wiring inside the headlight shorts out to the metal frame within the headlight. If the short circuit is not fixed, it will damage the LCM. You will have to remove the headlight and follow the wiring within the light and insulate the rubbing wiring.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
I'm a bmw tech, I've seen this issue many times. The wiring inside the headlight shorts out to the metal frame within the headlight. If the short circuit is not fixed, it will damage the LCM. You will have to remove the headlight and follow the wiring within the light and insulate the rubbing wiring.
True indeed. I ended up getting a new LCM. Luckily I found one on eBay.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 AM

745 and OEM1,

Thanks for the information. I forgot to mention in my original post that I have an '06 LI just in case it makes a difference???

I'm definitely going to go to that site so that I can get started on this.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Regional Sponsor

I have seen this issue primarily with the 750's in your production range. The older 745 headlights do not have this wiring problem. In most cases you will have to remove the headlight for properly inspection/repair. Sometimes, the headlight needs to be replaced because the short circuit cannot be fixed, good luck
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM

BMWOEM,

One other quick question. I noticed a few days ago that my right rear inner flasher bulb goes out too at times. Is this all attributed to the headlight wiring? I'd hate to buy a new one and find that there's an additional fix that is needed.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Regional Sponsor

I would replace that right rear turn signal bulb before going any further with the headlight/LCM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Ok, cool! Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Qmetro

Send a message via Yahoo to Qmetro
Mein Auto: 97 540i,03 745li

Ok had similar problem few lighting codes. Replaced driver side angel eye from bulb to led. Replaced the driver corner marker light . All blown.

Problem I still have, drivers side turn signal light completely out. Change bulb no result. That signal doesn't even show as coded bulb out. Doesn't work with signal or hazards. Didn't check for voltage though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367897302.965031.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	375149

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367897227.245143.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	375148
Install of angel eyes pretty easy for drivers side. Little more work for passenger.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367896979.848902.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	375147
Marker light.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I had a bunch of light malfunctions. Turned out somebody had cut my wiring harness and rigged it up. I have to get a new wiring harness and everything

Family over everything!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
bmwoem1, could you shed some light on opening up the headlight assembly and where to look for the short? I already have the headlight out (2006 750LI )
Old 06-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Regional Sponsor

The wiring shorts out against the metal frame work within the light. It's easiest found by following the circuit to and from the turn signal bulbs. We usually replacing the whole light because the short usually deep within and not easily accessible.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Thank you bmwoem1, We have not had the car very long and made mention before purchasing that light did not work and they said they would fix it although thinking it was just a bulb I did not worry, going to see if they will fix it anyways, hopefully they know we are looking for a second BMW and seem to be a pretty good used car lot that sells a lot of BMW's and works on them.

What I found looks like a lot of dremel work and care to disassemble the light, will just plan a weekend of it at worste case.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
There is a blue wire that can rub against the housing and short. One will find this inside the access panel for the xenon bulb (a big rectangular one). I attached a picture. I found the blue wire going to one of the bulbs rubbing against the metal frame for the xenon with a visible spot where it had rubbed through the insulation. I suppose on could try to add a new layer of insulation to the wire, but with the size of the access hole, and no apparent way to disconnect and reconnect the wire, that seemed to be a real challenge. Instead, I just repositioned the wire. There is a plastic clip near this location that holds that wire in place, and to remedy the situation, I simply pulled on the backside of the wire to remove the slack. I've attached a picture of the wire and what one would be looking for. For this repair, I removed the bumper so I could remove the headlight assembly (I have the 2006 750i where this is required to remove the headlights). It might be possible to do this without removing the headlights, but Iím certain it would be tough. If someone is interested in giving that a try, I would recommend removing the air box and the cover to the bulb. The wire is going to be located at the top of the interior of the assembly. You might be able to see and correct the issue with a mirror, a flashlight, needle nose pliers and a whole lot of luck. That being said, Iím certain the best one could do would to be to reposition the wire as I had done. Adding any insulation to it would be an exercise in frustration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rubbing wire.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	422970  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Exact same issue. A lot of the wiring in there is in bad shape. 2007 750i.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	423029  
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 IL
Turn signal program / e65 bmw 2007 750 li turn signal problem

One minute works fine, then fast blinking. After it rained it is doing it a lot. The fast blinker is annoying and embarrassing in the $89,000 750 Li...
I took everything apart in garage yesterday, turned the blinker, hazards for !/2 hour, happy that maybe I corrected it. This morning I started the car, first turn, fast blink!

Today I red about the blue wire, in the Xenon box, going to look for that. It seems to malfunction when it is cold out, when car is warm in the garage, works fine. mine is the left outer blinker fault. ...........

Hope I can get to the bottom of this tonight........

Thank You for great picks and lots of good info...

MIKE S
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 IL
Turn signal malfunction error code / e65 bmw 2007 750 li turn signal problem
One minute works fine, then fast blinking. After it rained it is doing it a lot. The fast blinker is annoying and embarrassing in the $89,000 750 Li...
I took everything apart in garage yesterday, turned the blinker, hazards for !/2 hour, happy that maybe I corrected it. This morning I started the car, first turn, fast blink!

Today I red about the blue wire, in the Xenon box, going to look for that. It seems to malfunction when it is cold out, when car is warm in the garage, works fine. mine is the left outer blinker fault. ...........

Hope I can get to the bottom of this tonight........

Thank You for great picks and lots of good info...

MIKE S

Last edited by msiedliski; 03-06-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
I've managed to take the light assembly out and located the shorted wire. After taping it up with electrical tape, put everything back together, but the turn signal still flashes really fast (and only one bulb of the two is operational, though I tried to swap them and both bulbs are working). Someone mentioned that the LCM could be damaged due to the shorting wire and even though the short is gone, the LCM also needs to be replaced. Is that true/possible?