Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li; 2004
Replace Rear Brake Lining

Okay, so I messed up my car.
I've got the little red car on my iDrive system. Going through the menu it appeared that it was time to replace my brake fluid. So I did. Then I went through the secret menu to reset that function. The red car turned into a yellow car.

So I went through the iDrive menu again, nothing was showing yellow, everything was green. I figured I'd go through & reset everything & if the yellow car went away, I'd know what area to look into.

So, everything looked fine until I reset the rear brake lining. I think I may have reset it twice & the number changed to a -23T......... negative 23,000?? well I can't reset it again. Everytime I start or stop the car it tells me to replace my rear brakes. I also get an error in DIS telling me the brake sensor reading is not plausible.

I can reset that error code, but it keeps coming back. How do I reset the iDrive to something more "plausible"?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Sounds like your brake sensor has an open circuit. Once the sensor rubs the rotor, it will open the circuit. Sounds like you need possibly new rear brakes, & a new passenger side sensor. You can confirm if the sensor is bad, by using a ohm meter. You will need to unplug the sensor under the wheel well, then ohm the sensor out. A bad sensor will show an open circuit.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Sounds like your brake sensor has an open circuit. Once the sensor rubs the rotor, it will open the circuit. Sounds like you need possibly new rear brakes, & a new passenger side sensor. You can confirm if the sensor is bad, by using a ohm meter. You will need to unplug the sensor under the wheel well, then ohm the sensor out. A bad sensor will show an open circuit.

Good Luck!
I appreciate your reply, but... I doubt it.

Everything was fine until I hit reset twice.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I appreciate your reply, but... I doubt it.

Everything was fine until I hit reset twice.

No it wasn't. The little yellow car was illuminated. When you reset it, you did exactly what you expected. You found the problem. It's the rear brakes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
No it wasn't. The little yellow car was illuminated. When you reset it, you did exactly what you expected. You found the problem. It's the rear brakes.

I'll look.

Any idea how to turn the -23T to something more plausible? If I change my brake pads, I'm going to have to reset that number anyway.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Change the pads, rotors and sensor.. Should be ok to reset it afterwards.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: '95 840Ci, '05 745Li
Quote:
Any idea how to turn the -23T to something more plausible?
HerbP gave you the answer. The non plausible error is because the wear sensor is showing open but you tried to reset the time saying you have new rotors and pads. The computer is giving you the error because you can't have new brakes and an open wear sensor. Do as First_745Li recommends and replace the worn parts.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM

So...... I found this thread on E90post.com reading all that, the only way to fix my problem right is to replace the pads..... even though there may be plenty of life left in them. I can trick the computer & get the error to go away, but that'll mess up the algorithm the computer uses to calculate brake life.... don't really want to do that.

I was thinking about getting some Akebono Ceramic pads anyway... hating the brake dust on my wheels, so I'll get new sensors & new pads all the way around.... $200, no big deal right?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Replace Rear Brake Lining

Quote:
So...... I found this thread on E90post.com reading all that, the only way to fix my problem right is to replace the pads..... even though there may be plenty of life left in them. I can trick the computer & get the error to go away, but that'll mess up the algorithm the computer uses to calculate brake life.... don't really want to do that.

I was thinking about getting some Akebono Ceramic pads anyway... hating the brake dust on my wheels, so I'll get new sensors & new pads all the way around.... $200, no big deal right?
It is recommended to replace the rotors as part of the brake job. If you don't you might get pulsating or vibration when braking.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)

Last edited by First_745Li; 02-17-2014 at 04:54 PM.