Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: Explorer
PPI Question

I am looking at used E70s and have a PPI question.

One vehicle I'm considering is a 2011 model being offered by a BMW dealer. It is still under the last bit of its original warranty and is being offered as a CPO vehicle. Dealer gets good marks for sales/service from what I can glean from the interweb (nothing negative at all). Absolutely nothing appearing in the vehicle history raises any red or even yellow flags. I haven't started talking with the dealer yet, but plan to request any and all service history that exists in the BMW system (CarFax shows good history of service by the BMW dealer).

As this would be a long-distance purchase, my initial inclination is to have an independent PPI performed. Since several here suggest using the BMW CPO checklist as a baseline for PPI, it seems to be somewhat duplicative work assuming the dealer would provide the CPO checklist and related service orders.

1. Is a PPI warranted in this scenario?
2. If I decide I want an independent assessment anyway, are there any other items I should ask to have specifically examined (e.g., paint depth)?

A similar vehicle at another dealer is also on my radar. Same basic story in terms of vehicle history, but the dealer has a few black eyes from customers over the past couple years. Not sure if any is warranted, but I can probably get a sense when I start talking with the dealer. What affect, if any, does this have on question #1?

Thanks in advance.

ADM
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
ADM,

Which e70 model?

Buy the car with service history/records that are verifiable and still under factory warranty. In the case of the vehicle with the CPO, ask for a copy of the CPO checklist, signed by the tech who did the inspection (see attached). Ask for the vehicle built sheet: if they print out the entire history on the car it will include any and all service performed, including all that the car is still eligible for going forward. Many dealers consider this document "proprietary", but if you get the right sales person on the line, they can/will print it out from their desk top and email you the records.

Note that the CPO checklist talks about body Fit and Finish meeting BMW standards, but ignores any explicit mention of a repaint or body shop repair(s). My first e70 Titanium Silver had a rear door and adjacent panel repaired and repainted to "BMW standards". I never caught it and only a trained eye could tell that the orange peel was slightly off and the hidden paint line under the door gasket ... but several used car managers did find it and reduced the trade-in offer by 5% to 10% from wholesale! This is where a good PPI is most valuable ... IMHO.

Buy where you get the best price ... don't worry too much about the on-line reputation of the dealer at this point, because half of what's written you should take with a grain of salt anyway. Plus you live in PA (so do I) and there are lots of dealers to choose from in the PA, NJ and NY area, once you need service.

Where's the car offered for sale? Maybe local forum members can help?

GL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMWCPO_2013_InsChkUpdt_v2.pdf (626.2 KB, 32 views)
BMWCCA #20645
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
What is you recourse if the dealer makes a 'mistake' and something on their version of the CPO is wrong???

BMWNA will do nothing...you sole recourse is litigation.

That's why it isn't necessarily duplicative.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What is you recourse if the dealer makes a 'mistake' and something on their version of the CPO is wrong???

BMWNA will do nothing...you sole recourse is litigation.

That's why it isn't necessarily duplicative.
Excellent point, but ... in litigation the corporate pockets of BMWUSA/NA and even a dealer are MUCH deeper than the typical owner or the independent who performed the PPI ...

Look at the CPO form: it provides for several levels of "management" to sign off on, putting the dealer on the hook in the event of a "mistake".

Besides, a CPO as we all know, is really not a catch all inspection ... it's a marketing tool to sell cars. If there is a "mistake", the dealer just facilitates the repairs under the provisions of the contract.

No doubt PPI's have their place ... I still kick myself for missing that repaint on my '08 4.8i ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
If it were not CPO I would say you absolutely need it. With it being CPO you have some assurance and a warranty. Personally, I would skip the PPI on a local CPO but I would go through the car with a fine tooth comb myself before pulling the trigger.
CPO cars are not perfect so if you can't look at it yourself another set of eyes may be a goos idea. I looked at a CPO X5 in San Francisco that had low tire tread and a bubble on the sidewall. I pointed it out to sales lady who did not seem phased at all, she said they would replace the tires if I bought the car. I got in my car and left.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 02-17-2014, 04:31 PM

Thanks ard & PAX5.
I'm looking for a 35i. Ruled out a 35d since most of my routine driving is in the 5-10 mile range which isn't ideal for the diesel. Haven't ruled out the 50i, but it's a bit over the top for my needs (wants is another story). I prefer the appearance of the Sport Activity models w/ the 214s. Not the most practical, perhaps, but definitely appeals to my sense of style.
Initial search criteria is "still under original warranty" so I have options for extending some type of coverage. That means mostly 2011-2012s coming off lease.

It seems as though a dealer that is willing to share the built sheet (not sure I'm familiar with this one), the executed CPO checklist, and print out entire service history would be a good indicator of the type of dealer I'd prefer to deal with.

I'm patient and know I should be able to find something decent. My kids have requested rear seat heaters which I noticed were added in the 2012 CWP.
Fredo, as you point out, one should never be afraid to walk away. I'm just trying to make sure that a trip is not wasted. I'll probably opt for a PPI for that reason alone.

FWIW, this will be my first BMW purchase, but my admiration for the brand goes back 30 years. Kids, work, houses, etc. always seemed to get in the way. So while the E70 is not quite the same as the E39 540i that sang its siren song to me over a decade ago, it's at least a step in the right direction IMHO.

ADM

Last edited by ADMead; 02-17-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
CPO is awesome - I owned one for quite awhile: E90 AWD and loved it.

The CPO warranty covers a large portion of the major parts.

It just does not cover maintenance, cosmetic, user wear & tear parts, and electronics/NAV/Audio.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Freude am Fahren

You're going about it the right way .. be patient, keep looking and be prepared to walk when the deal seems "to good to be true"

When you find one (or two, or three), run them by us, we'd be glad to give you our considered opinion. The X5 is a nice truck!
BMWCCA #20645
Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
You're going about it the right way .. be patient, keep looking and be prepared to walk when the deal seems "to good to be true"

When you find one (or two, or three), run them by us, we'd be glad to give you our considered opinion. The X5 is a nice truck!
Here are a couple that I'm investigating: ONE and TWO
Both are well-equipped and "appear" to be decently kept.

Considered opinions would be much appreciated.

ADM
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Automotive Addict

Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMead View Post
1. Is a PPI warranted in this scenario?
PPI is warranted on ALL "used" car purchases... i dont care if it's a month old or 100 months old... inspect it. go it over it thoroughly.