Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Occasional stall at idle/stoplights

Hey all, I am away on travel but Mrs. MMME30W reported that she had some issues using the car this past weekend.

Apparently she experienced unexpected stall / engine dieing on her a few (3?) times. She said she could sometimes keep it running with the throttle.

She said she only filled up with Chevron and Shell highest octane.

I get back Saturday and was wondering, has anyone seen a similar problem?

Car is an 09 E92, with original battery. I have the Dinan tune, if it matters.

Could the battery be acting up? Or just batch of bad gas causing drivability issues?

Just had an oil service done locally at a Reeves in Tampa, car had no reported issues.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 02-06-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Yes, having a similar issue with my '11 E90. I also fill up with Shell but thought initially it might be bad gas. Have tried the Chevron station as well but still having very occasional issues. Varying idle, particularly with the AC on. RPM's bounce up and down resulting in a stall occasionally though on a couple of occasions the idle has dropped enough that my DCT put itself in neutral but the engine did not stall. Have read about idle control valve issues with these cars but have yet to bring it to the dealer. Due for a regular service very soon so will mention it them and see if the car is throwing any codes...
Old 02-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
No codes? Most likely the Idle Control Device acting up or Throttle Actuators - there are two of them!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmmm, ok.

The idle control valve was replaced by PO as a warranty item in '10 I think.

Thanks I'll look into that after I get home Saturday.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana View Post
No codes? Most likely the Idle Control Device acting up or Throttle Actuators - there are two of them!
I don't own a reader (probably should get one) so I'll try to get my dealer to pull any codes when I bring the car in. Knowing my dealer they will drive it, state they can't replicate the issue and do nothing...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Filled up with a tank of Shell 93 at a station I frequent.

So far not a bobble.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:38 AM

Good, just hope it stays away! Mine comes and goes so I can't tie it to a specific gas station though I almost exclusively use the Shell near my house. When tis issue started I thought perhaps the gas was old or they had received a bad batch. Used Chevron for the next 3-4 fill-ups and seemed better but the weather was cooler so I was not running my AC. As soon as it warmed up and I turned on the AC the issue returned, but again only occasionally...
Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
I have a 2009 E92 with Dinan software and so far no problems except for initial cold start (20ºF) weather the idle fluctuates up and down for 30 seconds before smoothing out. I run nothing but 76 (92 octane) and still on my original battery but use a trickle charger on it in the garage all the time now to keep the battery at full charge. Hopefully will last a couple more years. The problem could stem from the winter gas and/or ethanol mixture these days. Just give some nice 100 octane gas for about $4/gallon and I'll be happy.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM

My issue is not the cold start, happens long after the car is fully warmed up. I suppose it could be the winter gas mix but it has been happening for more than a couple months. Not well versed on winter gas, need to do some research. Dealer is busy so car not going in until the 20th, we'll see if the car is throwing any codes...
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM

OK, car is at the dealer and I will report back once I hear something. I described the issue and asked them see if the car was throwing any codes as it was unlikely that a tech would experience my issue on a short test drive. Don't want the car coming back with the tech saying "could not replicate". Still not sure they will really do anything but I will follow up. Hell just given that I dropped the car off at 7:30 and have not heard back by now hopefully means they are really looking it over! Otherwise car is in for basic service, oil and air filter change so it should have been done by now for just those service items...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E90 M3
Is the problem showing up right after a fill-up, or at some random points through the tank of gas?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Random points. It has occurred after a fill-up but running errands this afternoon with a half tank and it did it again. No stall, just the fluctuating idle. And of course no codes being thrown and the service tech could not replicate so nothing done at the dealer.... I will now start carrying my cellphone around and have it ready at stop lights so that I can film the issue before bringing it back in. It really more of an annoyance but I'd like to make sure that if something needs to be fixed, it gets done before the warranty expires in October!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E90 M3
I had a bad stalling problem after every fill-up for a good while and it ended up being the purge valve. Eventually I got a CEL (along with the Check Gas Cap message) saying I had an Evap system leak. It's possible that your purge valve is going out, but it's hard to put your finger on that until the problem is more regular. The dealer wanted to charge a RIDICULOUS amount to replace it (about $850), so I went to their parts counter, got the part for about $89, and replaced it in my garage in about three hours. It only took that long because I'd never had the intake plenum off before, so there was a little learning curve taking that off and putting it back on. I'd say maybe an hour and fifteen now...
Old 03-09-2014, 03:25 PM

OK, finally caught on video. This is from this afternoon right after filling up. I drove 0.6 miles back to my house and started filming. The full video is 2 minutes but the action didn't start until more than a minute in so I have edited this version for posting. Apologies in advance for the crappy iPhone video!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM

OK, stopped by my dealer this morning to show them the video. Head service tech watched then asked if I have any software on the car (I don't). His first response was that he would change the idle control valve. I wouldn't mind getting that done before my warranty expires in Oct given the troubles folks have had but then I mentioned the gas purge valve and he said yes, it could be that as well, that sometimes they stick open... I'll bring it back to them at a later date for the work and follow up.