Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: x3 e83
HELP: UK X3 E83 MSport sound upgrade

Thanks to everyone's contribution on this thread that has helped me to live with the sound quality from the X3 especially - Evlengr

As some may know the UK X3 E83 with the standard sound pack (Business CD) is extremely poor. Just single cone speakers (no tweeters) and no AMP or DSP.

At the moment I have just upgraded the door speakers to the UK Alpine SPG10C2. No 400/410's here. The sound has improved greatly in terms of clarity & definition but I still feel there is room for further improvement. Looking into swapping head unit.

Last edited by archy141; 11-12-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: X3 (E83) 20d
MacAuddio Star X 2.10 - what an immediate change!

Dear Everyone,

Thanks for all the information found in this thread, this gave me the courage to swap the OEM speakers to a pair of Star X 2.10 component set!

Oh boy, what a dramatic change! I'm finally a happy and proud E83 owner! Treble is back in the car, with clearly more bass. I know I'm not a real audiophile, so it might not be even close to any "standard", but for me... it's everything.

For those who are only in the consideration and information collecting phase, a few words about my install:
- I had to really tweak the housing of this tweeter. I had to cut off 1 cm of the total diameter, which means 5 mm from the perimeter. Hand pruners was my best friend at this point, since I didn't have any finer tool close to me After altering the diameter, it just popped in and clicked
- second serious problem I faced was when I screwed back the bolt holding the woofer. At the very last turn of the wrench the thread simply broke I was really pissed - and careful with the rest -, never would have thought that this could brake that easily.. anyways, the two other bolts still hold it very firmly, so I'm not worried.
- keep the BSW E83 speaker upgrade movie on youtube on your screen, that helps a lot (if not else but only watching him how easily he's doing the disassembly )

So, it was absolutely worth and fun for that 4,5 hours (I know, I know ) installing it, I recommend it to everyone: do it, you won't regret it, and it ain't that hard as it might seem to someone!

I only swapped the fronts, and it's already enough at the moment. I might do the rears, too, but for me, amp upgrade is definitely postponed a bit now, I'm happy.

Thanks again everyone for sharing knowledge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131126_220809.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	409687   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131126_220817.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	409688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131127_001701.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	409689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131127_001717.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	409690  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3
Hi guys!
I guess I'm new to this forum, although I've been creeping around for a while.

I'm interested in upgrading my sound system. My plans are to swap the door speakers with Alpine SPS-400/410s.
I would also like to add more lower bass, probably in the form of a enclosed 10"/12" subwoofer in the boot, powered with a monoblock.

My car is a '07 M-Sport 2.0d with the standard Business CD HU.

Can someone please clarify what I need to do this, and how?
Especially how to tap sound from the HU into the amp for the woofer. :S

Regards, Sanderpewz
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i 5-speed
Is a 2006 X3 prewired for the premium sound system so I could just get the speakers from BMW?

Rolling Orgasm-2001 330i 5-speed
116K Premium Package, Sport Package

Old Blue-1986 528e - My first BMW but not my last. Sold with 284k on the clock and still running strong.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i
Thanks so much for the posts. Very much appreciate the sharing of your expertise.
I've read through this Sound System Improvement thread, and unless I'm missing something, seems the advice would be different for my 2005 X3 2.5i with the premium sound system because it has navigation.

I have had a CD stuck in the player for about a year. It will play, but although I can hear it trying, it won't eject the CD when I press the eject button. I've tried everything I could find on line to dislodge it. Even if I did get it out, I wouldn't trust the unit not to snag another CD in the future.

I left the car at Best Buy last week to replace the radio/single CD player. They said they would have to bypass the digital amplifier and knock out the navigation to replace the deck ("head unit," I guess it's called here). I called the local BMW dealer and they said there were no real radio upgrades available for this car, but you can replace the factory radio with the same one (PN 6512915059) for $872, and add some kind of auxiliary input cable. I'm hoping one of you fine people can help me with the following:

-Is the factory radio really the only replacement option? I was hoping for a USB input, satellite radio option, etc.
-I have not kept the NAV CD up to date. If there is an upgrade available for the radio, would it make sense to also upgrade the NAV? Seems items on crutchfield.com pair those up.
-Are there any options other than the dealer for purchasing the replacement radio from? If so, anyone have suggestions?

Many thanks for any advice.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i
Thanks so much for the posts. Very much appreciate the sharing of your expertise.
I've read through this Sound System Improvement thread, and unless I'm missing something, seems the advice would be different for my 2005 X3 2.5i with the premium sound system because it has navigation.

I have had a CD stuck in the player for about a year. It will play, but although I can hear it trying, it won't eject the CD when I press the eject button. I've tried everything I could find on line to dislodge it. Even if I did get it out, I wouldn't trust the unit not to snag another CD in the future.

I left the car at Best Buy last week to replace the radio/single CD player. They said they would have to bypass the digital amplifier and knock out the navigation to replace the deck ("head unit," I guess it's called here). I called the local BMW dealer and they said there were no real radio upgrades available for this car, but you can replace the factory radio with the same one (PN 6512915059) for $872, and add some kind of auxiliary input cable. I'm hoping one of you fine people can help me with the following:

-Is the factory radio really the only replacement option? I was hoping for a USB input, satellite radio option, etc.
-I have not kept the NAV CD up to date. If there is an upgrade available for the radio, would it make sense to also upgrade the NAV? Seems items on crutchfield.com pair those up.
-Are there any options other than the dealer for purchasing the replacement radio from? If so, anyone have suggestions?

Many thanks for any advice.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
All,

Just swapped the speakers with the infamous SPS-410s. I got them from Amazon and paid 82.00 for the two pairs shipped. :-)

The improvement in quality is very noticeable. I can't quantify or objectively certify the improvement but it was well worth my 82.00 USD investment IMHO. I am not an audiophile but like to hear clear and crisp music. The swap with some Sound Dampening material installation achieved this.

My main goal initially was to do an overhaul (speakers, mid-bass speakers and amp) and right now I am re-evaluating. I believe that the sound, although not perfect and a lot more can be extracted with an amp.... It is VERY good.

Not sure if it is worth the investment of 600.00+ for the Earthquake woofers and the amp from my point of view and goals.

By the way..... My X3 came with an OEM Amp and 8 speakers made in Hungary. So, I am assuming is the HiFi setup.

Swapping the speakers for the Alpine SPS-410s is definitely recommended! You can't beat the price on these speakers against the improvement in sound.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2.5i
I wanna change my car stereo and I don`t even know where to start from.I have the x3 standard one and it sucks cuz I cant connect my phone to it and I gotta rely on cd`s any sugestions, or should i go to the dealership?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 PM

CanadianSolo,

I would suggest getting an aftermarket system like Dynavin to compliment the OEM equipment. See Youtube link below.

If you want to improve music quality.... Need to upgrade speakers (This thread talks about some potential upgrades or bavsound.com), mid-bass speakers with some Earthquake sws-8 and a 6 channel amp like JL XD600/6.

If you are really lost on the discussions in here.... I would suggest to find a friend that is an audio savvy or rely on a canadian reputable shop.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Just be aware that you will NOT see the screen of the Dynavin in bright sunlight. Reflections of the car interior in the screen can be minimised by appropriate screen overlays but the screen will still wash out in bright sun. There are reviews on this forum so I will not repeat more here.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:07 PM

Talking Amp Install

All,

Today I installed the JL xd600/6 and the result is awesome. A lot better than the OEM amp.

I used the Tecnic harness for a plug-n-play and clean install. Really straightforward!

The amp was installed on the same spot of the OEM amp with only one screw, some heavyduty doublesided tape and a couple of tieWraps to lock the amp in its location. I know it is not the cleanest install but it was the best I could do without having to do a custom fabrication.

So... The amp with a set of Alpines and it is really kicking a$$. For the DIYers.... I got the speakers for about 85.00 for the 4 speakers, 75.00 for the harness, 270.00 for the amp used and about 40.00 on wires, fuse block and terminals. 470.00 total.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	461665  
Old 09-22-2014, 03:53 PM
I care my ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by alichak View Post
can you please tell me which wire on the original socket goes to negative and the other to positive? thanks!
Look at the connector housing. The one marked as '1' is negative; '2' is positive.

I just had mine SP-410 installed over the weekend. It fit and worked. But I couldn't justify the work and sound quality improvement. Mine speaker was broken, so I had to replace anyways.

By the way, my headlamp appears to be "broken" after I put everything back together. The "lamp defective" indicator came on after I start the engine and put car in gear. But after a trip to Costco, the indicator went away the next day.

Don't know what happened there, but looks like it fixed itself.