Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Question E70 Spare Tire Kit mounting

So,

I just got the spare tire kit (from getBMWparts). My question is: does anyone know the measurement of where to cut a hole in the liner of the spare tire well for the wing screw that secures the tire and tool tray to the body of the truck?

I know the threaded hole is under there somewhere but I really don't feel like taking the whole liner out to see where the hole is...if someone knows approximately how far from the sides and from the rear of the well the hole is it'd be greatly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
From left-to-right, it's in the center. From the inside under a metal frame's small vertical wall, it's about 12.029" (sample attached pix). Just call it around 12" and use a push pin to poke into the felt material until you find it. The hole depth is about 0.75"/19mm deep - so, most of the pin will go thru... and there it is. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Approx Center Bolt Location.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	423734  

Last edited by xx; 02-18-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Automotive Addict

Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
if you wind up selling your liner i would gladly purchase it from you but if you do not remove it would you be able to read the part number off of it for me? i cannot seem to find the p/n anywhere. thanks.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
if you wind up selling your liner i would gladly purchase it from you but if you do not remove it would you be able to read the part number off of it for me? i cannot seem to find the p/n anywhere. thanks.
$130 from getbmwparts.com
You will also need a few (6-10) plastic connectors: 51471911992

More details:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...47&hg=51&fg=65
Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Automotive Addict

you are awesome... i asked on several different forums and nobody had a response for me. thank you. i appreciate the help.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Good information to know. I purchased mine from a local dealer, who had to put the kit together. However, I placed it on the carpet liner, and it does not seem to move.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Automotive Addict

the carpeted liner/pan adds a touch of refinement and looks less industrial than just having the spare thrown in there and all the bits exposed. (IMO)
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx View Post
From left-to-right, it's in the center. From the inside under a metal frame's small vertical wall, it's about 12.029" (sample attached pix). Just call it around 12" and use a push pin to poke into the felt material until you find it. The hole depth is about 0.75"/19mm deep - so, most of the pin will go thru... and there it is. Good luck!
Hey XX,

thanks a lot...guess I was having a brain fart to not think of probing with a pin
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM

ha ha - cool!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
the carpeted liner/pan adds a touch of refinement and looks less industrial than just having the spare thrown in there and all the bits exposed. (IMO)
I agree. I meant, I have the pan kit, surrounded by the tire, but I just didn't minutes it with the wing nut and screw.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Boom! Spare is securely fastened in its bunker with the wing screw. I really don't understand why BMW cost cuts and deletes things like the spare tire and tools.

Right after I bought my X last May, I ordered all of the tools that fit in the recesses on top of the battery. Only thing I'm missing there is the wheel lock tool...but that's only because I don't have the wheel locks yet.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Automotive Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangGullich View Post
I really don't understand why BMW cost cuts and deletes things like the spare tire and tools.
in this case it isn't cost cutting but more about redundancy. these cars come with RFT and a spare is not necessary, in addition from an engineering standpoint they design the car around the weight balance/distribution of not having a spare to get the best outcome. spare is offered for a pacifying effect similar to a placebo however that being said i understand completely why one would want a spare if they swapped out for traditional sport tires over the RFT. i've owned many cars and a few never had a spare and i purchased an oem wheel to have for extended journeys. while i never had a need for it i didn't want to be stranded in a rural area with a flat and an unconventional tire size that most places in that area would not carry or have in stock let alone being stuck on the side of the road waiting for roadside support or flatbed.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 xDrive35i
Quote:
Boom! Spare is securely fastened in its bunker with the wing screw. I really don't understand why BMW cost cuts and deletes things like the spare tire and tools.

Cost and Weight !
1991 E30 - 325i - Gone
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Well, that being said, my X was one of those that left the factory with the wrong tires...ie the non-RFT version of the BFG Duelers (I've read about a few cases of this happening, the RFTs and nons are visually identical). Had I gotten a flat, I would have been screwed. Also replacing them soon with the non-RFT Conti DWS soon. Better handling, ride and wear than any of the RFT sport tires that fit the 20" M-Sport wheels my X has on it.

I think that argument over weight distro isn't correct in the case of the X5. The Euro market version built in the very same factory comes with it standard as it does with the tools. If they had designed its weight distro without consideration for both the tools and the spare tire kit, the fitting would likely not be there to hold.

IMO, I still think they're trying to nickel and dime the US market to make extra money. Just think, eliminated about $50 in cost per vehicle over the course of a production run for them would amount to millions of dollars back in their coffers.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Automotive Addict

Quote:
I think that argument over weight distro isn't correct in the case of the X5. The Euro market version built in the very same factory comes with it standard as it does with the tools.
where do those with 3rd row put their "standard" spare?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Well, no where...but the 3rd row equipped X is blessed with the weight of an extra seat and rather weighty air suspension system in the rear which is heavier than the spare and such.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 AM
Automotive Addict

right, which is why the X5M doesn't even get a 3rd row option.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
Any chance you could measure the height/diameter of the spare for me? I'm about to install an amp and need to borrow a little space from the spare tire location. Mine is empty now but when these run-flats are done I'm going to go with conventional tires and will be picking up the spare as well. I measured and will just have enough room for the regular wheel and tire (18" wheels) and I thought the spare was smaller so I should be good but I'd rather be positive before doing the install.

Last edited by rpoitras; 02-25-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM

^may not have enough space for an amp and clearance for proper cooling. Maybe take a look at the pictures at... http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621550
Best is to buy that spare tire, tools and tray first... and then check for the available space.
Or place the amp in the left rear compartment or in another suitable location.
Good wishes / have fun!! We want pictures of that amp/etc!!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 PM

I got to say, there's really not much room left in the spare well after mounting the spare and tool tray in there. There's really only enough room leftover for a pair of spare shoes for my wife in the corners closest to the hatch now. between the tool tray and the load floor, there might be an inch at best as the jack sits in there at an angle with the worm screw protruding over the tire itself...yes, it sounds stupid, but that's how it's meant to fit.

I might look at putting a small amp behind one of the side access panels in the rear cargo area...air moves through there thanks to the re-circulation vents...but again, prolly just barely enough room for something on order of 150 watts or less.