Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 AM
In the drivers seat

Mein Auto: 540i sport dinan
folding mirrors

Does anybody in colder climates have experience with folding their mirrors in and out, if they are a little frozen, particularly if you have them set up to open and close when locking/unlocking the doors.

I don't want to damage the internal mechanism, and would consider setting the code back, to not open and close upon locking/unlocking the doors during the winter months. At least this way I would be able to let the mirror warm up a little bit before trying to open them.

We had some rain here in the northeast during the day, which froze last night when the temperature drop. This morning when I unlocked the truck in the garage, the drivers side mirror hung up a little and then popped open. Maybe this was just an isolated instance, and there was a little water in the pivot that froze a little.

First winter with the new truck.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x6 50i
so far in 1.5 winter's, i fold the mirrors nearly every time i park and havent had an issue.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I was wondering the same thing ... especially if ice were building up around the door frame and mirror I'm concerned about damage to the exterior portions of the mirror and door so if/when my car is parked outdoors in bad weather I leave the mirrors alone. As a 'precaution' I try to keep the mirror enclosure waxed nicely to help it shed freezing rain and snow. Sleet and ice still collects on it but comes off a bit easier without trying to take a layer of paint along with it.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: German
I've been folding and unfolding multiple times a day for almost 2.5 years now. Worst case, it breaks, and the dealer replaces the motor. That's why we have a warranty
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35D, 03 530i Sport
I live in MN. I never fold the mirrors if the car is parked outside in wintery weather. I'm too scared of breaking something.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:48 PM
In the drivers seat

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I just had the truck coded to have the mirrors fold in and out when locking/unlocking the doors. It is great, but perhaps I am going to rethink that for the winter. I am going to see how it goes for a little while.
Yes warranties are a great thing!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
Why not just lock the doors only and not fold the mirrors in if you are expecting ice? Don't you have to hold the lock button for longer when you want mirrors to fold in? If not, what is the code because I'd like mine to always fold but coding only allowed it to do so when holding the lock button for 2 seconds or so.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
In the drivers seat

I don't have to hold the lock button. The mirrors fold in with one normal push of the lock button and fold out when unlocked. I had the code set by Okee the other day.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:04 PM
In the drivers seat

So I had my truck re~coded today, to fold the mirrors in with a two second hold on the lock button, and not to fold with a quick push to lock the doors. This is a great option for when I don't want to fold the mirrors in bad weather.
Okee from Tripl3 coding, coded my friends 2009 x5 today with the same options as my truck. Another successive and professional job by Okee. Highly recommend him if you are looking for easy trouble free coding.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
Honestly I didn't know there was an option. I'd like to know how to close with a quick press as well.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
I fold my mirrors when parking at work in an open garage in -30 to -35 C temperatures with no problem. However, I would be careful and not fold the mirrors if I had gone through a day of freezing rain (which we had a few days a go) but my car was parked in the garage at home. Now that my car is out of warranty, I take any precautions I can think of.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 40D M Sport
Okee coded my X3 last evening (i am in UK) he coded my mirrors to fold in with just a slight extra touch after locking so I basically have the choice wether to fold or not.
He coded numerous things for me and I have to say his service was superb.
Rear Camera Zoom, Alarm Chirp, DRL don't dim on High Beam, Fog lights as welcome lights, DVD in motion, transfer phone ringtone to vehicle, high beams and fogs together, set to remember last auto start/stop.

Fantastic service
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Okee coded my X3 last evening (i am in UK) he coded my mirrors to fold in with just a slight extra touch after locking so I basically have the choice wether to fold or not.
He coded numerous things for me and I have to say his service was superb.
Rear Camera Zoom, Alarm Chirp, DRL don't dim on High Beam, Fog lights as welcome lights, DVD in motion, transfer phone ringtone to vehicle, high beams and fogs together, set to remember last auto start/stop.

Fantastic service
Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Anybody know anyone in the Boston area that can code BMW I would really like to get this done. sorry to hijack your thread op.

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuday06 View Post
Anybody know anyone in the Boston area that can code BMW I would really like to get this done. sorry to hijack your thread op.
Okee does it remotely but he also travels to various places in US according to his Facebook page.
I am in UK he is East coast US so it must be easy

https://www.facebook.com/Tripl3OCoding
http://www.youtube.com/codemycar
Twitter: @TRIPL3_OCoding
email codemycar@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesAshmore View Post
Okee does it remotely but he also travels to various places in US according to his Facebook page.
I am in UK he is East coast US so it must be easy

https://www.facebook.com/Tripl3OCoding
http://www.youtube.com/codemycar
Twitter: @TRIPL3_OCoding
email codemycar@gmail.com
Thanks just sent him an email.

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard