Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E34 520i M50
e34 Dashboard Removal . . .

Hiya's, I was just wondering . . . .

I love the black custom interior in my old e-34 and would love to put it all in my new e-34, but the new e-34 has the light grey dashboard, not black like the old one, and I was just wondering how much of a complete nightmare would it be to swap the dashboards over ? Obviously if its that much of a nightmare then I will just leave it :-(

Has anyone removed/replaced a dashboard ? How bad of a job is it to do ?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 AM

Hmmm can I presume no one has tackled this one ? hehe
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530i
I have seen it done and it is not pretty. There is bolts and screws and glue and matting all under the dash. You basically have to take the whole front of the car apart. Including instruments, glove box, radio, climate control etc. The biggest problem that i saw was that the glue that they used was very stuborn. It was hard to get the dash up without bending it or tweeking it. If you plan on doing this have patience and devote an entire weekend. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Here you go. It is the fourth thread down. Basically what was said above but a bit more detailed.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34...e-hunting.html

Helpful Hint:
Any time you have a question about specific instructions ("E34 Dash removal", "E34 strut replacement", "E34 rear seat removal" etc.), try to Google it first. It will be faster that way to find your answer. most of the time it will take you right to a post of one of the BMW forums that answers the specific question. Be sure to type in your query in the same fashion as the examples above.

Last edited by CarDriver; 06-03-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: Baur e30, E34 5 spd,318ti
I did it a few months ago. Not that hard. There are alot of snap-in plastic or metal clips that snap like the A pillar covers. So its just bring careful not to break anything.
The gasket that is between the dash vents and the main AC box will be shot. Its foam and will fall apart when you take the dash off.
So get one from the dealer of you will have a leak that only keeps the back of your radio cold. Or warm..
I had to do it twice because of this gasket.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 AM

It is all down to how brave you are ;-) I decided to go for it and is actually not too bad a job to do, is more time consuming than anything, taking it all apart is all pretty self evident as you do it, and there was no real difference between an '89 dash and a '94 dash either :-)
Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dee View Post
It is all down to how brave you are ;-) I decided to go for it and is actually not too bad a job to do, is more time consuming than anything, taking it all apart is all pretty self evident as you do it, and there was no real difference between an '89 dash and a '94 dash either :-)
Ya i did it too... Not that bad... Way better than most dashes...

All those stupid cables for the a/c box pissed me off a bit... But straight forward none the less. Took me 2 days to do an entire entire swap...(EVERTHING). Dash alone like 3-5 hours..
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. C.A.I/JBR LWFW/ Dinan tune/hi flow exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013