Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
owned my Panda for a year and 3 months now and 17,924 miles on the car. So far no Rattles on the cargo area yet.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: F25
Anyone have creaking noise from dashboard or center console area?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
I have had rattles with my 2013 X3. Constant. Bad enough that the dealer had to do welding work on the body. And still there are rattles. As I read this post, I have to wonder why I should have to remove plastic parts and insert felt tape into a $55K, American-made car. That doesn't seem normal to me, not even with a $15K car.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG View Post
I have had rattles with my 2013 X3. Constant. Bad enough that the dealer had to do welding work on the body. And still there are rattles. As I read this post, I have to wonder why I should have to remove plastic parts and insert felt tape into a $55K, American-made car. That doesn't seem normal to me, not even with a $15K car.

As you can see from my posts, tracking down a noise involves much time and effort. People do this themselves because dealerships very rarely will due all the necessary work to track down a noise that is nothing more than a annoyance. You can complain to the dealership, BMW USA, whomever, but it will fall on deaf ears. So your choice is to keep taking it back to the dealer over and over, hoping they fix it and at the same time, don't cause more rattles in the process, or take the time to locate it yourself if you have the skill. The last option is to stop buying a BMW if the noises bother you that much and go get the magical brand that never develops an interior noise. The price of car doesn't matter. They all will develop some amount of interior noise with age.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl1419 View Post
Anyone have creaking noise from dashboard or center console area?

Yep. I developed that creak recently after two years of ownership and I managed to fix it this past weekend. In my situation, the source of the "creak" was coming from two sources. 1. the joints where the plastic fascia surrounding the NAV screen meets the nav screen itself as well as where it contacts other plastic dash pieces
2. The center speaker area. This was a tough one. I used the fabric tape I have mentioned previously in this thread in several areas at one time so I'm not sure which exact area solved that creak/rattle problem.

If anyone is interested, I can take pics this weekend of all the areas I applied the tape to in the center console/dash area. Taking out the nav screen is actually fairly easy. Once the front trim piece where the start button resides is pulled off, it just a few screws to remove the nav screen and two cables on the backside of it.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.8i (2014)
8 months. No rattles.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
33 months, 40k miles. No rattles, solid as a rock. Lots of back roads and cold weather.

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
2006 350Z Roadster - sold
To many others to bother with...
Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I've only had moon-roof rattles when the temperature is below -5c (or there abouts).

I added two small additional pieces of felt at the roof opening and it's solved the problems so far....
Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Yes, rattles. Especially from the cargo/back seat area. These are the most irritating as it's hard to diagnose when driving. If someone is sitting back there they seem to go away. I suspect something in the fold down latch area. I've attempted to diagnose but nothing works so far.

~15k miles and 13 months now on a 2013.

Also, driver/passenger door seals seem to creak
In garage - 2013 X3 x28i, Sport Activity, Convenience, Cold Weather I, and Premium Packages, Rear View Camera, Park Distance Control, Sat Radio, BMW Assist w/ Enhanced Bluetooth. Black Sapphire with Black Nevada seats.

Previous BMW's
2007 525i - Totaled -->http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664410
2008 535i - Traded in
2009 535i - Totaled
Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpilot View Post
Yes, rattles.

Also, driver/passenger door seals seem to creak
BMW service applied ?teflon clear tape all around the door frame from A pillar to B pillar. No more squeaks after that.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 s28i & '12 X3 35i
We've had our X3 for nearly 2 years and it has 27k miles. No rattles. I did have the door creaking issue. It's caused by wax buildup in the door jamb area. I clean the door seals and seat areas with 3M silicone remover / cleaner then apply a BMW liquid Teflon lubricant. The treatment lasts several months.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 2.8
2013 X3 2.8 13.5k miles No rattles.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie1dog View Post
I am considering an X3 and was wondering if there are alot of rattles from the retractable cargo cover and cargo area?
Only rattle on my '11 X3 35i has been the plastic partition on the sunroof, brought it in and dealer placed the Teflon tape on it and noise was gone. Thinking it happened during the freezing temperatures here.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 28i X3
Rattles

I bought my X3 used last year so this is my first winter. I have been hearing cracking sounds whenever I go over bumps when it is cold. I thought it was the cargo cover because the sound seems to be coming from the back. I wanted to go to the dealer but during winter tire change over season you cannot get an appointment easily. I finally found the cracking noise, it is coming from the panoramic sunroof plastic cover that goes across in the middle. I pull down on it and all the cracking sound stops, finally found it! It really did not sound like it was coming from the roof! Now I just close the roof cover and don't hear the noise anymore! I decided to go to the dealer and tell them the problem and the culprit so they know exactly where the problem is. I will see next week if what they want to do (install felt)will work. Other than that cracking sound, no other noises!

2010 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-09-2014, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I think I found a fairly easy fix for the sunroof rattle on my x3.

There is a plastic trim piece that is pushed down when the roof is fully closed which has two plastic tabs (one either side). These tabs contact a felt strip on the moving portion of the glass.

I stuck a small piece of felt between the plastic tabs and the existing felt and rattle is gone. (it has be consistently below -10 for a week or two and no noise)

I can't open the roof or the additional felt will fall out but I'll come up with a more permenant fix when the weather gets warmer.

Here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	felt.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	421668  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 28i X3
Good temporary fix, I will post the solution of the dealer once I bring the car in on Feb. 20, hoping it will be a more permanent fix and enable the roof to open without hindering the fix.

2010 Mini Cooper S
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeiner View Post
Yep. I developed that creak recently after two years of ownership and I managed to fix it this past weekend. In my situation, the source of the "creak" was coming from two sources. 1. the joints where the plastic fascia surrounding the NAV screen meets the nav screen itself as well as where it contacts other plastic dash pieces
2. The center speaker area. This was a tough one. I used the fabric tape I have mentioned previously in this thread in several areas at one time so I'm not sure which exact area solved that creak/rattle problem.

If anyone is interested, I can take pics this weekend of all the areas I applied the tape to in the center console/dash area. Taking out the nav screen is actually fairly easy. Once the front trim piece where the start button resides is pulled off, it just a few screws to remove the nav screen and two cables on the backside of it.
gfeiner,

I am all for the pictures if you are willing. I have the issue in the dash which is generally the speaker cover. Also, there are various noises coming from the back on bad bumps. In Milwaukee, there are only bad bumps in the road.

That said, I am actually having it go to the dealer to get a hitch installed this week and have alerted them of the rattles. They will attempt to fix them but as you have stated they probably will do a bad job. So, after I let them try, I expect to be doing it myself when it warms up. For this reason, pictures of all the locations you tried will really help me. That way I can start with the most likely places.