Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
What value are you torquing them to?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
where's that vac leak ?

1.....don't get too enthused and over torque those small valve cover bolts ....easy does it.....maybe be better to redo the cover from scratch if it doesn't seal easily......????

2 .....take a bow ....you are a sleuth .....on the way to DIY try and succeed with a smile status......you found the vac leak and got buttery smooth idle .....what's not to love !..........now it's just a poboy smoke test or change / duct tape poboy temporary the CCV hoses etc .....often it's the big boy plastic hose/o ring bust or missing in that hose connection at rear on the N52 valve cover

3....sleuth on !
Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 AM

torque value ....valve cover fasteners

barely beyond a fist tight torque .....in the range for 5mm stuff of ~ 8 foot pounds ......similar feel to the fasteners on your transmission pan .....no gorilla technique required ......if the pan and gasket are flat/not bowed / and positioned like laying a baby in it's cradle then little holding force is needed .....be gentle .....work a smooth cross pattern......count the fasteners down like it's a space shuttle part at Michou assembly plant/Stennis Space center near here......don't miss a fastener .....double check .......run fingers round the perimeter......get 'em all ......count em all ....especially at area and those impeded above the O2 sensor locations
Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Yeah I just went by feel, did not use a torque wrench. This technique has worked ok on other valve covers, but yes I probably was too aggressive in the back.

I worked from the back and then worked to the front in a criss-cross. Is that what you all do? Are you guys using a torque wrench for this?

I like that dry ice smoker. I might try that.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 AM

from middle

the pan must not rock when seated .....ensure it is seated at rear .....sometimes it hangs......seat it first without the gasket and finger feel where the lip/bottom of outside edge should end up with a 1/16 ish added for gasket

had loads of success like may others working from middle ......snug then tighten !......feel the fasteners stretch a little ......get that feeling in your algorithm/guts of it's gonna part next if I go an extra degree.....halt yourself from gorrilla-ization of the task.....it's like asking for directions with a lady present ....you know they think we will not stop to do it .....same as getting carried away with over torquing .....bang your head on the fender to bring yourself to your senses!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM

Ok I will give it a shot tonight. From the middle.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 PM

I finally got back into this thing today and solved the problem. The cause of both the oil and vacuum leaks was that the gasket wasn't seated properly. I think it became dislodged when I was getting the cover in. I removed the cover completely again and would up using a little gasket sealant to hold the gasket to the cover. No leaks now and everything is running smoothly.

I had tried retorquing the bolts but that did not help. They weren't actually overly tight the first time. But when I did it again I just used a torque wrench.

The eccentric shaft sensor replacement seems to have solved the original problem too. Aside from throwing codes, I would get what felt like a misfire or stumbling at 2000-2500 rpm and accelerator at 3/4 to the floor. This was very reproducible by keeping the car in manual shift mode. Gone now.

Thanks for everybody's help! As usual after one of these repairs, I'm left with a lot of respect for mechanics. It takes skills to get this stuff done with no drama.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM

!

take a bow .....come join us on the Mardi Gras floats !....very well done for sticking with it and getting to a solution