Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
Uhhh, apparently you haven't seen the movie "A Christmas Story". It's a joke son. To quote another movie...

"lighten up Francis"
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: M3, MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by farg View Post
Uhhh, apparently you haven't seen the movie "A Christmas Story". It's a joke son. To quote another movie...

"lighten up Francis"
"You'll poke your eye out!"
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farg View Post

"lighten up Francis"
You do realized you are talking to someone from Hong Kong right?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You do realized you are talking to someone from Hong Kong right?
oops. My bad, and apologies.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: '81 e21
Question

I recently purchased a 2012 X35i with Sport package. It came with 19" 369M(??) wheels all of the same width (8.5 I imagine). I now have 40,000 miles and the OEM type Goodyears are about worn out. I want to replace with the staggered fitment 275x40-19 and 245/45-19 that comes on many F25's. Anybody done this? Problems? Improvement in handling?

If I do this I will be looking for a source to buy two 9.5" wide wheels like the 369M. Any ideas there?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
This thread is a great discussion about RFTs. Just to add another experience/opinion.....

I had 2 flat tires with RFTs on my previous BMW. Each time the damage was such that I had to buy new tires - screw/nail near the sidewall. Luckily, the flats happened near a city with a BMW dealer.

Just bought a new 2014 BMW X3. The handling/ride of this car is great. However, it was very evident that every little bump in the road was felt. The emphasis on the word "little". It felt like high frequency, very low amplitude bumps. Considering the frequency, it was evident it was coming from the tires. This is exactly what my previous BMW felt like.

So, I replaced the RFTs with non-run flat tires. The ride is as smooth as glass. Regarding handling - I drive mountain roads continuously. The only difference I have noticed is that the steering requires slightly more effort. Handling going up/down hills, around switchbacks, sharp turns, etc is no different than with RFTs. At least I cannot discern any difference. (Note: I am not a race car driver, so the car is not being pushed to its handling limits)

Another comment is that the temperatures have been unusually cold - tire pressure goes down with temperature and tire performance degrades. So, I am expecting even better performance when temps return to normal. This is embarrassing but the point being I haven't checked the tire pressure because its been so darned cold. Speaking of cold, the non-run flats / new X3 handled beautifully in 14" of snow. No issues at all. Very happy with it.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
This thread is a great discussion about RFTs. Just to add another experience/opinion.....

I had 2 flat tires with RFTs on my previous BMW. Each time the damage was such that I had to buy new tires - screw/nail near the sidewall. Luckily, the flats happened near a city with a BMW dealer.

Just bought a new 2014 BMW X3. The handling/ride of this car is great. However, it was very evident that every little bump in the road was felt. The emphasis on the word "little". It felt like high frequency, very low amplitude bumps. Considering the frequency, it was evident it was coming from the tires. This is exactly what my previous BMW felt like.

So, I replaced the RFTs with non-run flat tires. The ride is as smooth as glass. Regarding handling - I drive mountain roads continuously. The only difference I have noticed is that the steering requires slightly more effort. Handling going up/down hills, around switchbacks, sharp turns, etc is no different than with RFTs. At least I cannot discern any difference. (Note: I am not a race car driver, so the car is not being pushed to its handling limits)

Another comment is that the temperatures have been unusually cold - tire pressure goes down with temperature and tire performance degrades. So, I am expecting even better performance when temps return to normal. This is embarrassing but the point being I haven't checked the tire pressure because its been so darned cold. Speaking of cold, the non-run flats / new X3 handled beautifully in 14" of snow. No issues at all. Very happy with it.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 MB C300
Guys,

I have the Pirelli P7 RFTs on my 13 X3 28i. They have about 26K on them and today the wife picked up a nail that caused a pretty quick leak. I took it to a local tire shop and they were able to repair the leak. The store manager told me that the leak was a stopgap and that I needed to replace the tire because once a RFT is repaired, it's not an RFT anymore. I don't get that. If they patch one small hole, how does that make it a non RFT anymore.

Anyway, I am getting close to the wear bars on this set, but probably have about 3-5 more months on this set of tires. I don't really want to drop $1200-1400 on new tires right now. I guess my question is, how long can I expect the 'repair' on the RFT to last? I know that's a somewhat subjective question, but anyone that has had or done this, what's your experience been?

Thanks in advance,
GS
Old 03-29-2014, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
It all depends. The "repair" should last as long as the tires last. How long the tire lasts will depend on how long the tire was compromised (inflation, distance, speed, etc.) before it was repaired. Running it at zero pressure for 80 miles at 50MPH is a big difference from running it at reduced pressure for 5 miles at lower speeds. No tire manufacturer will ever warranty a repair because they don't know what happened to the tire pre and post it being compromised.

Theoretically, not explicitly stated by BMW but implied, one flat RFT should result in replacement, at your cost, of all four RFTs. Gotta keep all 4 at the same wear levels in order to keep xdrive happy.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Has anyone used the TireRack.com road hazard insurance?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0
Got 4 Pirelli P Zero run-flats for my 2013 BMW X3 yesterday 245/45R19s.

Very nice tires, slightly softer ride than the Good Year Eagle RFs they replaced, much less road noise as well. Grip seems just as good in the dry and wet, its very rainy today in the S.F. Bay Area, 2014, though this is a very subjective thing to compare. Contrary to many posts I like the RF system so far and am willing to continue on with them.

Can directly compare my previous 2004 BMW X3 3.0 which had regular tires and had a variety of Pirelli and then Bridgestones on them which worked equally well. Then got my 2013 BMW X3 3.0 turbo which is faster than my old X3, gets 2 MPG better mileage and has the RF tire system. So far no big problems, had to replace one RF under warranty at around 300 miles but no other events until I changed to the new Pirellis at 24,000 miles.

Im very sensitive about trying to take care of the transfer case. My earlier X3 had transfer case related warning lights go on at around 110,000 miles which was when I decided to trade it in. I was looking at a $4-5,000 repair otherwise, and with my new car I am consciously trying to keep all 4 tires identical in terms of wear and will rotate them to insure this. I believe that slight differences in the circumferences of the tires might make the transfer case work harder to maintain constant RPMs to each wheel, my theory anyway just trying to extend the life of a complicated and expensive piece of equipment.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 series soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1397 View Post
Guys,

I have the Pirelli P7 RFTs on my 13 X3 28i. They have about 26K on them and today the wife picked up a nail that caused a pretty quick leak. I took it to a local tire shop and they were able to repair the leak. The store manager told me that the leak was a stopgap and that I needed to replace the tire because once a RFT is repaired, it's not an RFT anymore. I don't get that. If they patch one small hole, how does that make it a non RFT anymore.

Anyway, I am getting close to the wear bars on this set, but probably have about 3-5 more months on this set of tires. I don't really want to drop $1200-1400 on new tires right now. I guess my question is, how long can I expect the 'repair' on the RFT to last? I know that's a somewhat subjective question, but anyone that has had or done this, what's your experience been?

Thanks in advance,
GS
Sounds bogus to me.
Run Flat means the tire will run while flat. Your tire guy makes no sense.
Also a setoff four Pirelli Citurado Grand Touring all season run flats is on sale for $149 each.
At Tire Rack.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 AM

JohnL,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me where you see that on TireRack? The only ones I see are Cinturato P7s that are non-run flats. These are 189/each, but don't look to be RfTs. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1397 View Post
JohnL,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me where you see that on TireRack? The only ones I see are Cinturato P7s that are non-run flats. These are 189/each, but don't look to be RfTs. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks
I am not sure what size tires you have.
I just plugged in a 2013 328i bas model so the tires I found may not be your size.
I would plug in your make and model info and see what comes up under manufacturer's replacement tires or OEM.

I saw a pretty wide range of tires all RFT's and all under a thousand bucks for a set of four!

You might consider calling their 800 number and talking to someone--they are incredibly knowledgeable and easy to deal with over the phone.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
The run-flat apologist is relentless.

For the X3 (this is the F25 X3 forum, no?), from Tire Rack:

245/50/18

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat $339 each
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (non-RFT) $189 each

But RFT's are coming down in price!

As for his irrelevant price quote, for a 2013 328i, it's for 17" tires, good luck finding any 328i without 18" tires.

225/45/18

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat $209 each
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (non-RFT) $170 each
Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM

Those prices are based on what comes up by selecting a base model 328i.Base model 328i (225/50--17)

Six tire options offered at prices ranging from $596 for set of four to $972 for set of four.

Eighteen inchers run you a little over a thousand bucks for set of four.
That's for OEM. If you include all run flats--
well the excellent Conti SSR all seasons (I have had em on two BMW's over five years and they are quite good).
are $792 for a set of FOUR (225/45-18 inches) They are on sale.

No one has said RF's are not more than conventionals.
Cost is coming down on RF's.

Cost isn't the primary reason to select Run Flat tires.
The main reason is safer. Few want to mention the blow out situation.
or
waiting for assistance or changing a tire to the donut vs simply driving home.

Rim protection.

and so on.

If these tires are so bad and expensive and whatever then explain:
--continuous sales increases of BMW's
--expanding use on high end vehicles by manufacturers as OE. (yes slow but undeniably steady).

So--it's a choice.
Choice is good.
The vast majority of BMW buyers appear to be fine with them. Read the tests/studies by Tire Rack and others. Make your decision.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I've never had RFTs or a BMW before but now that I am reading more about the RFTs I am becoming more comfortable with them. Will get our 2015 X3 in May. Until recently I lived in CO and did road trips all over the western U.S., on and off road. Of course I won't have the X3 on anything but pavement and rarely some gravel/dirt roads. In all that time I never had a flat but I do worry about the distances to tire repair let alone a BMW dealer out there. I plan to get a ContiComfortkit and maybe throw in a plug kit and would feel I could probably make do for quite a few miles that way. From these posts it does seem many drivers are going to non RFTs for winter tires though. Live in eastern KS so hoping whatever comes on the car may suffice for winters here but have time to cross that bridge.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarlover View Post
I've never had RFTs or a BMW before but now that I am reading more about the RFTs I am becoming more comfortable with them. Will get our 2015 X3 in May. Until recently I lived in CO and did road trips all over the western U.S., on and off road. Of course I won't have the X3 on anything but pavement and rarely some gravel/dirt roads. In all that time I never had a flat but I do worry about the distances to tire repair let alone a BMW dealer out there. I plan to get a ContiComfortkit and maybe throw in a plug kit and would feel I could probably make do for quite a few miles that way. From these posts it does seem many drivers are going to non RFTs for winter tires though. Live in eastern KS so hoping whatever comes on the car may suffice for winters here but have time to cross that bridge.
As I said a while back--I was very concerned about them after twelve plus years in six Volvos (I worked with them), I was hesitant about leasing my first 328 for one reason--run flat tires.

At this point in time there is no perfect solution to tires--there are trade offs, pluses and minuses to conventional tires vs run flats.

The problem with Forums like this is that there is a lot of anecdotal information. That can be a good thing but also has a downside. You tend to get complaints more than kudos--I have a lot of experience with market research and basically people who are happy with their vehicles tend not to go on line and announce--"my tires are nice."

There are some real enthusiasts here--these folks tend to stick with their conventional wisdom (a lot of it really good). If you are buying/owning an M class and are racing it then tire selection is critical. Most drivers--even most gear heads/enthusiasts are not coming close to the limits of any vehicle OR any tires.

Complaints about ride quality are dubious IMOP. Most European sports sedans and coupes are stiffer riding regardless of tires. Suspensions are tuned and tires are selected by the factory engineers. In fact, many tires are "built" or must conform to a specific auto manufacturer's specs--BMW OEM's have a star on the sidewall--the same tires for general sales and use do NOT. MB has their symbol etc.

Since a BMW suspension is tuned and engineered to work with a specific tire type--basically, your three series handles and rides the way the engineers "want" it to. Of course--switching out to a conventional tire will probably provide a noticeable difference in ride--you are now riding on a "softer" riding tire WITH a suspension tuned for a stiffer tire. If this is one's idea of better ride then I would suggest a Lexus etc. (but even some top of the line Lexi are now shod with run flats. (they're not stupid either).

By the way--handling and ride--especially handling are not easy to determine by making a tire change. Read the Tire Rack compares--the RF's are compared directly to conventionals as well as each other-inter brand etc. AND compared by experts under extreme of most of us--conditions. The results are surprisingly close.

Unless you are out in the wilderness--in which case that X series should be passed up for a Toyota Land Cruiser or a Land Rover with a conventional full size spare--it is not as difficult to find and obtain a RF tire these days.

The Conti kit is a must for everyone not just RF owners.
(it is worth a try on a flat conventional before calling for assistance or rolling up your sleeves).

Expense?
Yeah. A definite factor. However in a pot hole inundated NE market--I think (yes this is anecdotal info) there's added protection of the really expensive item--your alloy rims! via the stiffer/stronger sidewall. Especially on low profiles!

Safety?
Oddly little mention in the states--is given to the high speed blow out. (happened to me once in a '67 Buick Electra 225--with balloon tires!). European sites and info pay more attention to this. RF's provide a ton more protection should the tire blow. You are much less likely to lose control.

I have changed my share of tires under various weather conditions and waited an hour for roadside assistance. I much prefer the odds I can just use the Conti Kit (unless its really raining hard!) and head home--or to a service station.

I would NOT recommend buying tires at a dealership--unless they have a real discount deal on.

My local mechanic gets RF's within a day or two (they handle a lot of BMW's) they charge almost as much as Tire Rack--in fact they are an "official" Tire Rack installer. They repaired a leak in my Conti RF's no complaints no dire warnings--I drove a few thousand miles on that tire with no problem.

Again, there are no perfect solutions--there are pluses and minuses.

My advice--do some reading. Pay attention to legitimate tests. Get good info. Not just opinions like one finds on Forums like this one.

Take the horror stories with a grain of salt.

Make an informed decision.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i manual
Those of you that moved away from RFTs on your X3, did you buy a spare (either full or donut) and a jack and lug wrench and carry it in your trunk?

If wife buys an X3, I will likely get winter tires for it, in which case they will most likely not be RFT, at which point I think I'd want to have a full spare in the trunk...
Old 05-04-2014, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335iHTC
Just bought a new set of the 050 rfts for my 2008 335i htc.

I tried to get the re960s but they were not available. Out of stock.
Since I do not drive in snow it made no difference and the tires work well with car. I do have a quieter and smoother ride with new tires.

I have 28,500 miles after 6 years--Also have rft's on a 99 vette.

Had a tire run flat in Joplin Missouri maybe 9-10 years ago-the valve broke. Goodyear dealer there fortunately had RFT equipment and was able to put in a new valve even though it was not TP system. Today I suspect most tire places have the equipment.

As long as you are not driving cross country its not a problem. even then the BMW book says one can drive 150 miles
Old 05-05-2014, 06:46 AM

If I pay over 50K for a new car I would certainly hope I could drive cross country, and as many times as I want w/o having to worry about the fact I have RFTs. I didn't buy the car just for local driving near a BMW or qualified tire dealer. I bought a ContiComfortKit and would hope I can handle any situation including out west where next services may be over 100 miles. I hope as RFTs evolve we don't have to worry about where or how far we drive. The safety seems to be in not having to stop in a bad place when your tire light goes on (a good thing) but I'm more concerned about getting to a qualified tire store and not having to get a motel in the middle of a road trip in the hinterland.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
In my opinion, RFTs can provide some safety since the car can be driven some distance to a safer place. This is important in some countries where stopping in the middle of nowhere to change the tire or getting stranded due to flat tires may pose danger to driver (+passengers).
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335iHTC
I have not had a problem in 15 years of driving cars with run flats-but the problem is if you have an unfixable flat-it may be difficult to get a same day replacement tire even in big cities. I suppose then you could substitute a different type of tire and be careful driving.

but then again what do you do if you have regular tires and get a flat literally in the middle of nowhere at 1 AM. At least with rfts, you can drive to the next service area and perhaps a decent size town. Nothing is perfect.

Also ,on my RX450h, those are not run flats and a set of those runs 1200. Not exactly cheap.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Changing a flat tire here in the Northeast can be a dangerous proposition, hundreds of people are killed every year while changing out flat tires on the highway.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 AM

RFTs are just an evolution towards a completely maintenance free tire such as flexible wheels, etc. Check this link - it is only a matter of time and Michelin and others already testing these:www.flixxy.com/car-tire-technology.htm