Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Updating the software via AutoLogic fried my DME. A dealer trip properly diagnosed this, and somehow BMW covered the DME... a miracle considering the cost of the part alone. Got out the door for the cost of diagnosis, and got VERY lucky.

So it wasn't related to the automatic transmission at all.

Now with the new software (dealer updated) it shifts better, keeps RPM lower, and no more rough downshifts (although it could be smoother in cold operating conditions, maybe a fluid change would smooth this out, but its not a big deal, and I am now reluctant to touch the car in any way while it still works!).
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Updating the software via AutoLogic fried my DME. A dealer trip properly diagnosed this, and somehow BMW covered the DME... a miracle considering the cost of the part alone. Got out the door for the cost of diagnosis, and got VERY lucky.

So it wasn't related to the automatic transmission at all.

Now with the new software (dealer updated) it shifts better, keeps RPM lower, and no more rough downshifts (although it could be smoother in cold operating conditions, maybe a fluid change would smooth this out, but its not a big deal, and I am now reluctant to touch the car in any way while it still works!).
I found after changing my trans fluid, transfer case fluid and diff fluids shifting was better.

It is worse at cold temps.

My DME was almost fried by dealer too at software install. They managed to resusitate. 130k miles later (152k total) still going strong!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I stumbled onto a E90 (3-series) thread with a lot of the same transmission complaints. They are apparently having great success with replacing the solenoids in the mechatronics unit:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479837

They refer specifically to the ZF transmission, but I wonder if a similar procedure would work on the GM transmission. I also saw a previous post in this thread mentioning a revised mechatronics unit being introduced into the X3 in late '08 which either helped or resolved these issues.

So, has anyone tried changing the solenoids in the mechatronics unit yet?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
re mechatronics = good chance

The X3 I used to own had Jekyll and Hyde characteristics in the AT and the bad part was that some issues would only appear after a long time at highway speeds. Example: First set of traffic lights and from a standing start the change from 1 to 2nd occurred way too early with an audible bang under the car and then AT slurred as the torque converter caught up with the premature change.
This is not conducive to dealer testing. ie at least 2 - 3 hours at 100kmph is a precursor. Sure a software update (dated 2008) fixed a lot of issues such as holding on to 1st gear way too long but not all issues fixed.
So what really peeved me was the comment after the last service from a service tech just before I sold the car - and this after 6 years of this problem and denials - "oh that would be the mechatronics unit then". Dang I was furious . . 6 years of trying to get recognition that a problem existed to have this stated effectively "off the record".
From my signature you can see my decision . . not that I changed vehicle due to this as you tend to get immune after a while but I needed more towing capacity but no way was I EVER going to buy another BMW after this history . . bye bye BMW and forever.

So yes, the mechatronics on the GM 6speed AT prior to 2008 is crap IMO and should have been subject to a total recall. ROTFLMA when I consider that chances of THAT ever happening at the time.

Disclaimer: Please read the above in the context that the author is a very very jaded (ex) BMW customer.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to juniorcdr32
Mein Auto: 2006 X3 and 2007 328i
2006 X3 GM transmission

After reading many forum posts and having the BMW dealership tell me I needed a new transmission, I had the transmission rebuilt by an independent mechanic.

The fluid has been changed, solenoids replaced, and torque converter has been replaced.

Picked the car up yesterday from the independent mechanic and no problems until I was almost home, the car hard shifted and the transmission light came on.

Same thing happened again this morning on the way to work.

My question is, what's the best course of action here, should I have the mechanotronics unit replaced, or should I have the computer reset to have the adaptive shifting conform to the new solenoids?

I'm very frustrated and need to get this car repaired so that I can move on from here.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Heck I am surprised. No response. After 70 pages either the X3 population is dying out or the owners have given up.

But in response to the last posters question, I would have thought that a transmission reset would have been done after the rebuild. The old "turn the ignition key to the second stop but not starting the the engine, press foot to floor for 20 seconds, remove foot from accelerator, turn ignition key to off then start engine" will help but is only reseting the adaptive throttle settings I suspect and not the actual transmission. Deeper diagnostics are required to reset the transmission adaptive memory but I have deleted all that software now so not in a position to advise. I do sincerely hope juniorcdr32 that you had some success but I suspect that as per my last post that the mechatronics as a whole is the root of all evil in the X3 At and was upgraded (from memory) in the 2008 model. Should have been a total recall but fat chance of that. BMW lost me as a customer for sure and BMers cost a LOT in AUS (fat profit) they missed me for the rest of my natural.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: Camry
What's the best way to see if a 2009 X3 is exhibiting this issue during a test ride? Is there anything specific I should be asking the dealer?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasec84 View Post
What's the best way to see if a 2009 X3 is exhibiting this issue during a test ride? Is there anything specific I should be asking the dealer?
Since it's an 09 is it still covered under any BMW CPO extended warranty? And the other question is are you fairly close to a BMW dealer?

Regarding the actual shifting problems it appeared for me while taking a rolling left turn and then trying to accelerate through the turn, it was as if the car had no power while going through the turn. I'm in the suburbs and I would be taking a left turn off of North Ave. going about 40mph and then braking to about 15mph for the turn. I bought my car last spring and it had some CPO warranty remaining so I had the EGS and DME software upgraded at the dealer. Now I drives pretty good and it has almost no problems shifting correctly, although there are times when I recognize I'm going to need more power fast and then I simply drop it into sport mode. Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:48 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oiler View Post
re mechatronics = good chance

The X3 I used to own had Jekyll and Hyde characteristics in the AT and the bad part was that some issues would only appear after a long time at highway speeds. Example: First set of traffic lights and from a standing start the change from 1 to 2nd occurred way too early with an audible bang under the car and then AT slurred as the torque converter caught up with the premature change.

This is not conducive to dealer testing. ie at least 2 - 3 hours at 100kmph is a precursor. Sure a software update (dated 2008) fixed a lot of issues such as holding on to 1st gear way too long but not all issues fixed.

So what really peeved me was the comment after the last service from a service tech just before I sold the car - and this after 6 years of this problem and denials - "oh that would be the mechatronics unit then". Dang I was furious . . 6 years of trying to get recognition that a problem existed to have this stated effectively "off the record".

From my signature you can see my decision . . not that I changed vehicle due to this as you tend to get immune after a while but I needed more towing capacity but no way was I EVER going to buy another BMW after this history . . bye bye BMW and forever.

So yes, the mechatronics on the GM 6speed AT prior to 2008 is crap IMO and should have been subject to a total recall. ROTFLMA when I consider that chances of THAT ever happening at the time.

Disclaimer: Please read the above in the context that the author is a very very jaded (ex) BMW customer.

165k miles on my 2007. Still going strong!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:51 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oiler View Post
Heck I am surprised. No response. After 70 pages either the X3 population is dying out or the owners have given up.

But in response to the last posters question, I would have thought that a transmission reset would have been done after the rebuild. The old "turn the ignition key to the second stop but not starting the the engine, press foot to floor for 20 seconds, remove foot from accelerator, turn ignition key to off then start engine" will help but is only reseting the adaptive throttle settings I suspect and not the actual transmission. Deeper diagnostics are required to reset the transmission adaptive memory but I have deleted all that software now so not in a position to advise. I do sincerely hope juniorcdr32 that you had some success but I suspect that as per my last post that the mechatronics as a whole is the root of all evil in the X3 At and was upgraded (from memory) in the 2008 model. Should have been a total recall but fat chance of that. BMW lost me as a customer for sure and BMers cost a LOT in AUS (fat profit) they missed me for the rest of my natural.

Most of original posts were just from a few early adopters. Software fixed tool care of most of the rest.

I put 150k on mine done purchase with 15k. Runs strong. AT no issues no leaks, as opposed to my now leaking oil pan!

Member of BMWCCA!