Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 750LI
2013 7-Series Smart Key Fob

Hi all. Purchased a used 2013 BMW 750Li last month. The car came with only one smart key fob. A spare key fob purchased, programmed + sales taxes was quoted by a local stealer at $642. That's a mad amount for a key I might never use.

Can I purchase and program a used key fob. I don't really care if it has a mechanical key that will not open the driver's door. Can somebody post instructions how to program a smart key fob. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 750LI XDRIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDan View Post
Hi all. Purchased a used 2013 BMW 750Li last month. The car came with only one smart key fob. A spare key fob purchased, programmed + sales taxes was quoted by a local stealer at $642. That's a mad amount for a key I might never use.

Can I purchase and program a used key fob. I don't really care if it has a mechanical key that will not open the driver's door. Can somebody post instructions how to program a smart key fob. Thanks!
No! The way the system is set up you have get it from the dealer and that quote is overpriced. My wife accidentally threw away mine when we moved. Dealer quote $301 and I thought that was expensive.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
If you bought it from the dealer, time to go back and request the second key at no cost.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM

I bought it used from Texas Import Sales not from a BMW dealer. The sales rep promised to help me out with the key, but turned out to be helpless at the end.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 740Li
As far as I know... used keys cannot be reprogrammed but new blank keys can be reprogrammed even by yourself without the dealer...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonY View Post
As far as I know... used keys cannot be reprogrammed but new blank keys can be reprogrammed even by yourself without the dealer...
It can be true, but I need to find the instructions on how to do this reprogramming. Do you know how?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Simply take the new key fob and hold it against the marked spot on the right side of the steering column and then start the car (obviously a working key fob is needed). That's all it took to activate the new fob. In fact, the Nav screen immediately popped up with a request to name the profile associated with the new key fob.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/new...eply&p=7736402

Hope this helps
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Seen it, tried it, failed. Must be a bad key fob. Thanks a lot for your post.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 PM

keyfobs can only be programmed once... reprogramming them requires some serious hackery because of the way it works... which is not worth the trouble as a personal endeavour (money and effort wise)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
keyfobs can only be programmed once... reprogramming them requires some serious hackery because of the way it works... which is not worth the trouble as a personal endeavour (money and effort wise)
So the seller lied to me then. I see, thanks.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Quote:
I bought it used from Texas Import Sales not from a BMW dealer. The sales rep promised to help me out with the key, but turned out to be helpless at the end.
Is that the Alpine White one?

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaMMM View Post
Is that the Alpine White one?
Nope, dark graphite metallic. I don't buy white cars after some birds ****ted on my white 1992 600SEL and it got permanent purple stains on the hood. I couldn't get them out afterwards.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM
2009 F02

Mein Auto: 750li, XJ8
my one key fob seems to be eating batteries, a battery only lasts about two weeks before it starts putting a warning on my car that the battery is dying, I ignored it this time and now I need to hole that key fob up to the steering wheel to start the car.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhughes420384 View Post
my one key fob seems to be eating batteries, a battery only lasts about two weeks before it starts putting a warning on my car that the battery is dying, I ignored it this time and now I need to hole that key fob up to the steering wheel to start the car.
Only 2 weeks? It sucks man. Without the juice in the battery you can't open, close doors remotely and need to use the mechanical key. I feel your pain.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li
Go raise hell at Texas Imports until they get you a second key. If they said they would take care of it, hold them to that.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftlane11 View Post
Go raise hell at Texas Imports until they get you a second key. If they said they would take care of it, hold them to that.
The sales rep tried. He was also given a high price for the key and the car needs to be present for programming, but the car is in NY now. So that is no go.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750LI
Take it back...

Hi,

I went through similar situation with my 06' 750li key worked for first month and one day coming out of the restaurant with whole family. I couldn't open the car with remote nor my car would start with fob in console. I ran to autozone with my brother thinking its the battery...It didn't make any difference. Hopeless, while family was waiting...one can only imagine!!! As they say desperate times call for desperate measures...I started reading bimmerfest and there were all sort of article none suggested how to start your car. Since I had replaced battery and that didn't do anything I was so mad that I took the battery out and threw it . Little that I know that did the magic...Guess what I found out...If the battery is in the bad/faulty fob...the car wouldn't start...but if you take that battery out it will start your car.

Now back to what I did to help my situation. I went back to used dealership and talk to salesperson and of course he was acting like he doesn't even know me and since he gave me such a good deal. I should be happy that I don't have any other issues. I wasn't going to put up with his crap so I went and called their General Manager/Regional Manager and it took few days but when I finally talk to him I sugar coated how awesome everyone is and how professional everyone is and I would like to bring something very important to his attention on how the business is being conducted at his dealerships and put himself in my shows and how my family is affected and key is the first basic thing you must have to drive and you have gave me a dud that only worked for few weeks and now I have been told to exchange on my own expense.

After listening to my story he apologized and did say that look we did give you an awesome deal however, I agree key is something that should be working all the time not just for few weeks. He said get him the quote and he will pay for it. I got him the $300 quote from BMW dealership and he paid for it.

Each BMW dealership have their own prices and trust me they even compete with each other on prices. When you do ask them why are they expensive they quickly say oh they will match the price. Good luck! I would take it back and talk to dealership.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 F01 SPORT
Gentlemen,
This is seemingly a simple task. One has to find a dealer that knows what they are doing. I guess I am lucky in this regard. My SA ordered me the spare key fob which will come with a blank "emergency key" for $256. The dealership requires your DL and Title/Current Registration for ownership verification. Once the key is ordered and received, the dealership will then require ALL of your key fobs in possession, in this case one. They will then erase all the keys programmed into the car currently thus making both key fobs unusable. Then the tech will start the programming sequence at which time the "car" will ask for keys to be programmed. Once the remotes are recognized by the car, it takes about 3-5 minutes to program each key fob. The whole process takes about an hour which you will be charged for unless you have a mad hook up like I do with my SA. So in total, it would be ~$400 for a new key fob and the re-program plus a free wash.

Last edited by coole65i; 02-25-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
I'll pass on the car wash.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li
Quote:
The sales rep tried. He was also given a high price for the key and the car needs to be present for programming, but the car is in NY now. So that is no go.
Then have them send you a check for the replacement and get it yourself. Why shouldn't they fulfill their part of the deal just because it costs a few dollars?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftlane11 View Post
Then have them send you a check for the replacement and get it yourself. Why shouldn't they fulfill their part of the deal just because it costs a few dollars?
True. Definitely a lot cheaper than being extorted by Ripoff Report...

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 F01 SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram750 View Post
I'll pass on the car wash.
That was a joke! Glad someone caught it. They messed up mine once and gave me a full detail voucher to have it taken care of. I told them I am not doing it if the same jokers who marred my finish are doing it. They are brining-in an outside detailer to take care of it.